Chevy Spark Fails to Ignite 40+ MPG Rating

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Spark Fails to Ignite 40+ MPG Rating

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,541 Times in 353 Posts
    Blog Entries

Chevy Spark Fails to Ignite 40+ MPG Rating

Chevy's new city car doesn't even match the larger Sonic/Cruze in fuel economy.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    July 18, 2012
    By: Nick Saporito

This week the EPA let the cat out of the bag with regards to the fuel economy figures for Chevrolet's upcoming city car. The A-segment Spark will be the smallest Chevy ever sold in North America, meaning many were speculating that the new mini-car would achieve impressive fuel economy figures to justify it's existence in the U.S. market. Unfortunately, the EPA has confirmed that few will be igniting any major amount of love over Spark's fuel economy. In fact, Spark's larger siblings do better on the highway.

According to the EPA's website, they have rated the Spark with manual transmission is rated at 32 mpg city and 38 mpg highway, while the four-speed automatic will wear ratings of 28 mpg city and 37 mpg highway. The new Spark is powered by an Ecotec 1.2-liter four-cylinder that makes 83 horsepower and 83 foot-pounds of torque, an acceptable amount of power for a car that weighs in at only 2,200-pounds.

Spark's main competition, the Smart ForTwo, wears similar ratings with its 1.0-liter three-cylinder. Typically the size of a vehicle ultimately has diminishing returns with fuel economy. The smaller the vehicle, the less aerodynamic; meaning the Spark is immediately disadvantaged because of the very thing most of the public associates with good fuel economy.

Since announcing the Spark for the North American market Chevrolet has been coy about the car's fuel economy. The lack of comment from Chevrolet ultimately led to some speculation as to the range in which the final fuel economy numbers would fall into - most assuming the car would at least achieve about 40 mpg highway.

While the Spark's EPA figures are good for this new, growing segment of cars in North America, it remains to be seen if 32/38 mpg will be enough to convince American car buyers to pick the new Spark over it's larger Sonic and Cruze siblings.

Spark launches later this summer as a 2013 model.
    Last edited by nsap; 07-20-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar rsbaker's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Chevy Spark Fails to Ignite 40+ MPG Rating

This is disappointing! I think GM needs to upgrade the transmission options to 6 speeds for both manual and automatic. I was actually expecting at least 42 HWY for the Spark. On this particular car I think it absolutely must get the best mileage in the Chevrolet line up to be a success... not including Volt of course

Thanks

More reason for me to not like this car.
    Dad: 02 Cadillac Deville DHS
    Me: 06 Acura TL A-Spec

GMI Staff Member Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Disappointing news but ultimately I'm not surprised by this. As mentioned earlier in the article aerodynamics play a big role in fuel efficiency along with other factors. Unfortunately the Sparks overall shape does not help its cause in that particular department. However I did have the chance to sit in a Spark awhile back and for a budget minded city car the interior looked good and the car does look better in person than in pictures. Ultimately though sales will most likely be low since car's this small tend to be a niche market item so I'll be curious to see how well its recieved by consumers here in this country.
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

Thanks

This is expected, even with 6 speeds it won't happen...it's shaped like a brick.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

The city numbers are very good. It is a city car that can handle some highway driving too. I think Sonic is small enough for the US market. You need a real eye catching design to go smaller.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Short cars just can not get around the aero issues. They might be better in price, but they will never be in terms of fuel economy.
    Have sales for GM not seen in THIS POST? Email Me

Go Tigers! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

The HWY Number is irrelevant anyway as this car will spend 90% of it's time ideling in city traffic

It's what it's designed to do
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 lio45's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

So... every time a Spark is sold to someone who'd have bought a Sonic or a Cruze instead, it actually hurts GM's CAFE ratings. :-P

Banned
    Thanks

I think it needs bigger headlight housings.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC peterj2706's Avatar
    Thanks

It sure makes for lously ad copy.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

wow gerat job GM.. lets just blame the Korean's .. ditch this ugly thing.. and bring over the Adam!!

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    So... every time a Spark is sold to someone who'd have bought a Sonic or a Cruze instead, it actually hurts GM's CAFE ratings. :-P
    Most likely profitability as well. Overall I think the mileage is decent for a city car which is what this vehicle is supposed. I suppose it's price, size, and features will bring city dwellers into the Chevy family.
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

News Contributor
    Thanks

IMO, city cars should be electric.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

Lets also consider the cost and margins of profitability. Should GM go through loop holes to get it 3 more mpg at the expense of cost/profit?

Right now they start out at just over 12k and fully loaded under 17k. Its an entry level car..... Entry level doesn't mean most efficient in all cases - just cost. The Sonic bumps to right under 20K and the Cruze is under 30k. the sweet spot of efficiency seems to be with sub compacts and compacts. Minis' give urbanites the ability to own a vehicle in an otherwise congested area and find reasonable parking, or allow teens an entry level "cool car". Either way you look at although important fuel efficiency isn't at the absolute top of the list.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information