Chevy Sonic Turbo Now Available with Six-Speed Automatic

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Sonic Turbo Now Available with Six-Speed Automatic

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

GM
    March 22, 2012

The Chevrolet Sonic’s fuel-efficient Ecotec 1.4L turbo engine will now be available in either manual or automatic transmission, bringing the increased torque of turbocharging to drivers of automatics.

“Providing the option of a turbocharged engine to our non-stick driving Chevy customers allows us to offer everyone the thrill and power of a fuel-efficient Ecotec 1.4L powerplant,” said Jim Danahy, vehicle line director and vehicle chief engineer for North American small cars. “Both in the Sonic and Cruze, the engine enables better fuel economy without sacrificing power or performance. It’s really a winning combination.”

Sonic’s Ecotec 1.4L turbocharged engine and six-speed manual transmission achieved a 0-to-60 mph time of 7.8 seconds, according to independent AMCI testing – faster than the comparable 2012 Ford Fiesta, Honda Fit and Hyundai Accent. The Sonic with the turbo-automatic combination went from 0 to 60 in about eight seconds.

“Traditionally, turbocharging was used to enhance the performance of engines, but today it is as much about fuel economy as a 0-to-60 time,” said Bob Benedict, assistant chief engineer for the Ecotec 1.4L engine. “The turbocharger provides high-pressure airflow for high torque to boost the vehicle and give the driver a fun driving experience with improved fuel efficiency.”

The 2012 Chevy Sonic Ecotec 1.4L turbo six-speed automatic delivers an EPA-estimated 37 mpg highway and 27 mpg in the city, while the manual gets 40 mpg on the highway and 29 in the city.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Re: Chevy Sonic Turbo Now Available with Six-Speed Automatic

I like the Sonic alot, just a few thoughts:

-I know the car is kinda 'tall' for its size, but I was hoping for more than 37 highway, 39 or 40 would have been nice. Hopefully it isn't just the height that gives it only 37, but maybe they went a little more aggressive with the gearing? Probably not, since the upcoming RS is going to have the aggressive gearing to make it a bit quicker. Anyway, a bit dissapointed.....that with how efficient automatics are these days in many cars...the Sonice 6 speed auto gets worse mileage than the manual AND is a bit slower in acceleration. 10 years ago, you would expect that..but today it is often the automatic that matches or exceeds the manual.

-Car is one of the best looking subcompacts I have ever seen...just on the Sedan, I wish the tailights would have been stretched across to the trunk left to right, instead of making them so narrow and tall. Unfortunatley, the way they have it really gives the rear the "Korean economy car" look.

-Interior is great. Because it is a bit taller, I actually think it is more comfortable (upright) than a Cruze and even a Malibu. For those who think I'm crazy, sit in one at a dealership with an open mind to that fact. Plus, the dash is modern looking without all the extra buttons and tech gadgets taking over.

Wish GM would allow you to get the 17" wheels without the top of the line package. For us, it can be a deal maker/deal breaker...that the wheels are what can make a car look good or bad, but we simply do not want any car with leather (or fake) leather interior. GM, please let us get at least the 17" wheel option without having to get the LTZ package with heated seats and leather/leatherette.

I'm looking forward to test driving one of these....we are going to need to replace a couople of our family cars in the next 6-12 months, and it is going to be tough for us to decide on our 'small' car being one of these, or waiting a few more months and saving a little more to get the Buick Encore.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 DirtyMoney's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

Oh crappity crap. Either duck or praise Hyundai!

SX3
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '06 Altima, '13 Sonic Turbo

Now available? Not like the 1.4T can be found in them currently. Likely will be worse now with the auto if you want a manual. The fuel economy is pretty disappointing. It would be nice for GM to have at least one car than can get 40mpg with an automatic transmission. Seeing 40mpg on the window sticker has a lot more presence then 37mpg.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Interesting ... I was building an LTZ Sonic on the GM Canada website two weeks ago and noticed the auto option.

To bad in Canada the 1.4T is only available on the LTZ. I wish it was avaiable on the LT.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

It would be better if GM had used DI on the 1.4t. I know they were in dire straits at the time the 1.4t was being developed/brought to the US market -- but just the same: with the stress on fuel economy what it is and with the buying public wanting NO COMPROMISE performance to go with their fuel economy, the 1.4t could've went from competitive to class-leading. It's an opportunity-lost. Look no further than the press Hyundai gets over their 200hp/35mpg Sonata.

On a side note: when is GM's powertrain going to get it's act in gear? I know the next-gen ecotec (2.5l) debuts shortly - but it's numbers aren't anything special. Again, competitive but not class leading. The new small blocks are still quite a ways off. By the time they get to market, are they going to be class-leading or just competitive too? The 3.6l is a wonderful motor - but where is GM's answer to the Ecoboost 3.5l? Sure, GM's existing 6.2l can match it's output in raw numbers, but look a little closer and you'll notice that Ford's boosted motor delivers peak torque at lower RPM's. Now add in the fact that the Ecoboost can deliver that while delivering excellent gas mileage and the 6.2l starts to look a bit lack-luster, IMO. Last I heard, the twin-turbo LF3 was on the shelf until 2013. Where are GM's 8-speed transmissions? It's full-hybrid? GM Powertrain looks a step behind.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by cmutt View Post
    On a side note: when is GM's powertrain going to get it's act in gear? I know the next-gen ecotec (2.5l) debuts shortly - but it's numbers aren't anything special. Again, competitive but not class leading. The new small blocks are still quite a ways off. By the time they get to market, are they going to be class-leading or just competitive too? The 3.6l is a wonderful motor - but where is GM's answer to the Ecoboost 3.5l? Sure, GM's existing 6.2l can match it's output in raw numbers, but look a little closer and you'll notice that Ford's boosted motor delivers peak torque at lower RPM's. Now add in the fact that the Ecoboost can deliver that while delivering excellent gas mileage and the 6.2l starts to look a bit lack-luster, IMO. Last I heard, the twin-turbo LF3 was on the shelf until 2013. Where are GM's 8-speed transmissions? It's full-hybrid? GM Powertrain looks a step behind.
    Wait, the new 2.5L is going to lead the class in N/A HP, TQ and more than likely MPG. The new small blocks will provide just what GM wants, a reliable engine that delivers performance over and over again. Yes, the Ecoboost 3.5 is a hoss but its also expensive. They are cool as hell to drive with but a friend has one and while he said its the best engine for the F150, it still lacks a lot compared to his old Denali. You say potato and I say tomato. lol

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SX3 View Post
    Now available? Not like the 1.4T can be found in them currently. Likely will be worse now with the auto if you want a manual.
    One of the biggest things I'd like to see GM improve on is their rollout schedule, whether intentional the way they do things or not:

-Sonic 1.4 is a great motor, but if you want it with an automatic, i'll come, just wait 6 months. Oh, and want it with a Manual? Good luck finding one on the lots..they are there, just not many of them.

-the 2.5 is coming....eventually. It is a great motor, trust us, well worth the late. It'll be in the Malibu at launch...no wait, well, maybe. It'll be in the Regal at the same time...probably. We're pretty sure it'll be in the Verano. Oh, and you know the really good selling vehicles we have with the current 2.4 that are a bit heavy and could use the extra 10 or so hp and torque...the Equinox and Terrain...they are getting it too. But, not now..and apparently not this fall, as we just announced a 2013 Terrain Denali still with the older 2.4.

I know it isn't as easy as design an engine, build it and then put it in everything....but gm needs to be a bit more nimble on their feet. Yeah, I know, GM is big like a Battleship, and Battleships take a longer time to change direction than smaller boats...but again, this is the thing I'd like to see GM improve on. Don't tease us with something good, and then over the course of months or years...just give us little bits and pieces.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar rsbaker's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SX3 View Post
    Now available? Not like the 1.4T can be found in them currently. Likely will be worse now with the auto if you want a manual. The fuel economy is pretty disappointing. It would be nice for GM to have at least one car than can get 40mpg with an automatic transmission. Seeing 40mpg on the window sticker has a lot more presence then 37mpg.
    I think it's pretty clear that GM came down on the side of performance and sacrificed a few MPG for it. I have driven the sonic it feels great. I really like it. I suppose they should offer an ECO model like Cruze that would probably be good for 42 to 45 MPG given that the Turbo manual gets 40. It does seem that GM's decision is paying off as sales continue to climb and Sonic has received high praise in the automotive press for its performance. If no ECO model then a diesel Sonic would certainly get impressive MPG numbers.

Banned
    Thanks

Good luck finding one on the lots..they are there, just not many of them.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by rsbaker View Post
    If no ECO model then a diesel Sonic would certainly get impressive MPG numbers.
    I would love to see a Sonic with the GM 1.7L Turbo Diesel with start stop. It would have excellent performance and fantastic fuel economy.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Good news...Im starting to see alot of Sonics on the road and they look great! Especially in black! GM has a hit on their hands.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

-Inside line.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

GM had a highway mpg issue with the 6 speed in the Cruze the first year (2011) and fixed for 2012 which yielded two more mpg highway.

Is history repeating it self with too tall gearing for 6th?
    Current Driveway Fleet:
    2012 Volt
    2008 Colorado CrewCab Z71 2WD
    2008 Suzuki SX-4 Crossover AWD Touring (wife still loves it after 5+ years and 67K miles)
    2013 Sonic LTZ (college duty)
    2003 Porsche Boxster S (sunny days and track events)
    2011 Cruze LT2 RS (college duty in Florida)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

Offering a six for the aim and shoot crowd is a good move! Maybe GM could just lie about the MPG like Hyundai does?

Sonic w/6 spd automatic getting 42 MPG HWY! There you go.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

There are things I find appealing about this car but things that I don't care for (which is true for every car on the road).
    I really need to drive one when the automatics start showing up and compare the ride against the Cruze and Focus.
    Living in Cali I appreciate smaller cars more and the Cruze is wider than my Balt which may be an issue in tight parking spots.
    The Sonic is sized more like my car but will it take bad roads well? I assume the Cruze has the smoother ride.
    I also need to see how much those motorcycle gauges will bother me.
    Decisions decisions

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information