GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevy and GMC trucks get CNG option

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  mudpuddle 
#1 ·
Chevrolet and GMC Announce CNG Pricing Options

DETROIT, 2014-04-15 – Bi-fuel options, allowing either compressed natural gas or gasoline to power the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD pickups, will start at $9,500. A dedicated CNG option on the 2015 Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana cargo and passenger short-wheelbase vans starts $10,825 for the three-tank system and $12,090 for the four-tank system.

"Based on current average fuel prices, CNG is more than a dollar cheaper than an equivalent gallon of gasoline, giving drivers and businesses an incentive to use CNG to power their vehicles," said Ed Peper, U.S. vice president, General Motors Fleet and Commercial. "Given the consistent cost savings and expanding infrastructure, both commercial and individual interest in CNG vehicles continues to grow."

The bi-fuel CNG option will be available on all 2015 Silverado and Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD single-rear-wheel models. The Express and Savana vans have fully dedicated CNG fuel systems – available in three- or four-tank models on cargo vans and exclusively with the three-tank design on passenger vans.

GM warrants and validates the fuel systems on all of its CNG trucks, vans and the upcoming bi-fuel Chevrolet Impala sedan through its five-year/100,000-mile – whichever comes first – powertrain limited warranty. All major components associated with the CNG system also carry GM service part numbers for availability throughout the largest dealer network in the United States.

CNG versions of the Silverado and Sierra 2500HD double cab and crew cab and the full-size Express and Savana vans are on sale now. The Silverado and Sierra 2500HD regular cab and all 3500HD pickups go on sale in July.
http://www.media.gm.com/media/us/en...ges/news/us/en/2014/Apr/0415-cng-pricing.html

#4 ·
Thanks for the article, I appreciate your posts.

However, the cost of natural gas and CNG is going up and according to news reports, all the abundant natural gas is gone and there is a sudden shortage of natural gas. It was reported that 30% of the natural gas coming out of the oil fields of North Dakota are being burned (Flared) off, due to a lack of pipelines. I wonder why there are insufficient pipelines?

The $9.5K cost of the CNG option is not insignificant.

I wish the government had an energy policy that worked for "all" the people, instead of just for the bureaucrats in Washington.

Reactions: 377Z
#6 ·
Regular gas in the western suburbs of Chicago is $4.09!!!!!

#15 ·
The way that CNG is rated is in gallon equivalents.

So it takes (something like) 127 ft^3 of natural gas to match the BTUs in a gallon of gasoline. So when you buy a GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) for $2 at the pump (or whatever ) you are actually getting 127 ft^3 of gas. Which most definitely takes up much more space than that amount of gasoline.

A DGE is something like 144 gt^3.

I ran the calculations if I were to set up a low pressure (overnight) filling station at my home. The fuel was going to cost something like 55 cents per GGE. The home station was something like $7-8K with most of that cost in the compressor, but the cost of those is coming down. Of course the car mods cost a bundle as well. Another $4-8K.

If you have to drive a full size pick up, , and you drive a lot of miles, maybe tow a lot, and you are home most nights to refill your tank. The payback comes pretty easily. Otherwise it will never pay off.

#14 ·
Frack away there is nothing wrong with it. If we didn't have fracking Natural Gas wouldn't be a cheap source of energy right now and we would be stuck using coal only since that IS the cheapest source of energy besides Natural Gas. So keep pumping, sand and water in the ground if it keeps the cost of natural gas low and allows us to tap into new sources of crude oil.

#13 ·
There's a quick payoff for the many in the midwest who have natural gas wells and pay essentially nothing for the natural gas. There are government programs to help subsidize the equipment to fill a CNG vehicle from a natural gas service. If I had a natural gas well like my parents do, It would certainly seem to be a quick payoff. I'd love to see the option in other vehicles. Honda used to offer a CNG Civic (they might still), and I think it was only about a 3-4k option. Seems like keeping a small gas tank (5-8 gallons or so) with the ability to switch between would help bridge the gap in this technology.

#16 ·
I believe that Ford offered the CNG option in the F-150 over a year ago. Ford was trying to capture fleet sales from the oil companies. Some oil companies flaunt the CNG pickups with CNG advertising all over them. Our natural gas supply is unlimited. Currently, oil companies are holding off on new drilling. If the demand picks up and prices increase, you'll see more wells being started. If we have another winter like this past one, a lot more drilling will occur.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.