GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevrolet Will Cautiously Let Owners Wring More Power from the Cruze

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  big swede 
#1 ·
Tarted-up production cars revealed at the SEMA show aren’t exactly the stuff of shocked gasps and hurriedly-sent text messages to friends, but there’s often some useful gear to come out of the annual trade jamboree.

The blue window tinting and wheels on the pair of Blue Line “concepts” trotted out by Chevrolet ahead of the show likely impressed no one, but it’s what lies beneath that matters. Starting next year, the bow-tie brand will let owners of its newly redesigned compact gain some extra horsepower in a manner that won’t void the warranty.

Yes, the Cruze is joining the tuner scene.

Well, the factory tuner scene, to be clear. In its own conservative way, the automaker plans to spice up the Cruze by offering factory performance bits from Chevrolet Accessories. The Volkswagen Golf and Honda Civic have ruled the scene for too long, it seems, and the previous generation Cruze might have been too stodgy to pull it off.

full article at link:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ly-let-owners-wring-power-cruze/#more-1434905

See less See more
#4 ·
"They are a sister site within whatever company owns all these forums and deserves your respect.... blah, blah, blah."

#5 ·
Possibly five horsepower!! Woohhooo!!!! Max potential of 20hp which is not likely. No more boost but an exhaust and cold air intake. I can hear the young guys clammering for their dream car that finally puts down some serious hp.

Because it will probably be about 10 hp they are going to actually let you keep the warranty. Simply amazing.

#25 ·
I was hoping we'd get performance packs like they offered on the Cobalt SS LNF 2.0L Turbo and was also disappointed in intake and exhaust being all that's available for performance.

#6 ·
Car magazines can be straight boring news just reporting what there is to report along with fact checking to make sure that what is being reported is accurate. However most auto news sources are opinion pieces, which is find though I find it a bit presumptuous to call oneself "The Truth About Cars".

#8 ·
I've driven a Trifecta tuned sonic before....and it made a huge difference....it wasn't a mod you had to try to 'convince' yourself that it was worth it...the Trifecta tune on a turbo worked well.

For GM to offer parts that get "5-20" extra horsepower...that is kinda laughable. I applaud that they are doing something...but they really are taking baby steps if that is what the gains actually will be.

#13 ·
GM had a good thing started with the Cobalt SS. First with the LSJ and then with the LNF. They pissed it all away when the Cruze didn't continue the formula.

#23 ·
Holy "thread resurrection", Batman!

I started looking at the Cruze RS Hatch, yesterday. It’s the first new Chevrolet that I’ve been even remotely interested in buying, since… ohhhhh 2010?
(I had an 88 Firebird Formula, in my early 30s. That was my last new GM purchase, other than S series trucks. Everything else was just boring, ugly, or absurdly expensive - like the new Camaro.)
I might actually fork over for a Cruze SS Hatch, provided I could option it like I wanted.
But I won’t likely be buying a Cruze “anything” with only 153 HP. It has, essentially, the same power-to-weight ratio as my 88 Fiero did. (Which now has a V8 in it. Fixed THAT little problem.)
I’m almost 60, BTW. So there is, maybe, a market that GM isn’t even considering.

#24 · (Edited)
. So there is, maybe, a market that GM isn’t even considering.
There are a few sub-markets and niches that GM could cover by offering some higher powered and/or AWD versions of current cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.