Chevrolet Volt Owners Surpass 100 Million Electric Miles

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chevrolet Volt Owners Surpass 100 Million Electric Miles

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

GM
    December 5, 2012

Chevrolet Volt owners collectively have driven more than 100 million all-electric miles since the vehicle went on sale two years ago this month. The average Volt owner travels more than 65 percent of the time in pure electric mode as the car was designed – only using the gasoline-powered generator for longer trips.

By charging regularly, Volt owners drive approximately 900 miles, or a month and a half, between fill-ups. However, many Volt owners quickly exceed that average, based on an EPA-estimated 98 MPGe that puts electric-only range at 35 mpg city and 40 mpg on the highway. Andrew Byrne from Los Angeles is one of these drivers.

“Since my daily driving is all electric, I only really need to buy gas for long road trips,” Byrne said. “I drove over 1,900 miles on my last tank of gas.”

With each avoided trip to the gas station, Volt drivers continue to increase their return on investment. Based on EPA estimates and compared to the average new vehicle sold in the United States, Volt owners are saving about $1,370 a year in fuel costs.

“The best sign of a great product is when your customers are the most satisfied in the industry,” said Cristi Landy, Chevrolet Volt marketing director. “Volt owners have found the Volt is not only fun to drive, but provides technology and performance where consumers need it most.”

This is the second year in a row the Volt has topped the satisfaction survey of one of the leading consumer testing organizations in the United States.

“My commute is 55 miles round trip, but with the Volt I use 80 percent less gas and save over $150 each month,” said Farris Khan from southeastern Michigan. “Plus the Volt is really fun to drive because of its instant torque; driving anything else feels like yester-tech!”

For the typical driver, the average Volt savings equates to:

• Nine weeks of groceries at $151 per week
    • 228 car washes at $6 per car wash
    • 137 movie tickets at $10 per ticket

The 5 million gallons of gas saved is equivalent to $21 million in gasoline costs averted overall based on $4 per gallon of premium, or more than two supertankers of gas.

For the first 38 miles, the Volt can drive gas and tailpipe-emissions free using a full charge of electricity stored in its 16.50-kWh lithium-ion battery. When the Volt’s battery runs low, a gas-powered engine/generator seamlessly operates to extend the driving range another 344 miles on a full tank.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Re: Chevrolet Volt Owners Surpass 100 Million Electric Miles

On my previous Dodge Grand Caravan I was spending about $4000 a year on gas.

With my Volt based on 4 months of use now i'm projecting ~$400 a year on gas and ~$500 a year for electricity ($900 total). My driving is 78% electric [3339 miles EV to date].

This will net me a savings of $3100 a year in energy costs alone.

See my signature for more details.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    On my previous Dodge Grand Caravan I was spending about $4000 a year on gas.

With my Volt based on 4 months of use now i'm projecting ~$400 a year on gas and ~$500 a year for electricity ($900 total). My driving is 78% electric [3339 miles EV to date].

This will net me a savings of $3100 a year in energy costs alone.

See my signature for more details.
    Congrats and good on GM for doing a press release on that. It's only sensible if you can afford it and do the math, for your own personal decision/situation.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

It truly depends on what you've traded in. We had an Enclave and a G8 GT, both sucked gas like it was free. $400/month for the GT was not uncommon, and I hit single digit mpg regularly. The Volt is costing us maybe $50/month gas and electricity combined, maybe $60. And other than not being able to haul as much stuff or as much ass, it's a fantastic car. Couldn't be happier.

Between the G8 and Enclave savings in fuel we're looking at fuel savings north of $4k per year. Can't complain at all. We're doing 83% electric and we're approaching 22,000kms.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

Good news. You would never know if news reports were our only source of info.
    I didn't go to math school, so I'm not going to do the math.

Thanks

From an objective point of view the Volt must be admired for the engineering and support that was necessary to bring this vehicle from concept to reality. I am in awe of what our country can do when we focus our collective minds on achieving something.

-Mr. Mike-
    1992 25th Anniversary TIE1-ON-Z28, HSR 355, Comp Cam, Vig STC, forged internals, Pro-Built 700R4, Hotchkis SFC's, Hooker LT's to twin Dynomax Ultra-Flo's, etc. Old X-Muffler: http://youtu.be/omytSj2Ob-8 New Twin Dynomax Ultra Flo's: http://youtu.be/6l69Xxs6iMM

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Some interesting calculations from me.

19-22 gallons of gas from a 42 gallon barrel of oil. If you take 5 million gallons of gas saved and divide that by the 22 gallons of gas from a barrel you effectively get around 225,000 barrels of oil saved. A small dent in the total usage of the US but its getting there.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information