GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevrolet Trax to Start at $20,995 in US Market

6K views 41 replies 32 participants last post by  ausrutherford 
#1 ·
Chevrolet Trax to Start at $20,995 in US Market
Left Lane News
October 1, 2014
By: Justin King

General Motors has announced pricing and launch details for the US-market Chevrolet Trax.

The compact model has spent the last year in Europe, Canada, Mexico and select Asian markets, but not in GM's home market.

When it does arrive in the US, the Trax base model will fetch $20,995 (including freight). Packages will include LS, LT and LTZ, along with an all-wheel-drive configuration that adds $1,500 to any trim level.

GM's 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine will serve as the standard powerplant, producing 138 horsepower and 148 lb-ft of torque. EPA fuel efficiency estimates are said to be 26 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the highway.

"Trax is positioned to be a strong competitor in the emerging small-SUV market, which is expected to grow more than 80 percent in the next few years," says Chevrolet car marketing director Steve Majoros.

US buyers will get the first chance to pick up the Trax in January.

See less See more
#29 ·
There seems to be a common theme with Chevy pricing that I've noticed. The price gap between most of their cars (Cruze, Malibu and Impala specifically) and now this and Equinox is right around $5,000. As if, for every $5,000 base price point difference, you change size of car.

Good luck with this one. This needed to start under $20k...the Equinox will steamroll this in the same showroom for just a few dollars more.
Equinox is $25,395 with freight.

#7 ·
Interesting, it is priced at $18695 before incentives as a base price in Canada, this is rare that we are cheaper than the US.

#9 ·
What will Buick say when the rebadged Encore has an encore? Awful as a Buick and now a cheap and worthless product as a Chevrolet. But there is the wonderful dogpile brown and dark grey interior combination that might mask the vomit you want to expel riding in it.

#10 ·
If they'd offer a powertrain closer to 180hp, I'd be inclined to get one for the wife. Pricing looks to be solid though. Probably about $1-2K less than the equivalent Buick. The Buick is a sharp ride though.

#15 ·
The Escape starts at $22,610, the Subaru Crosstrek starts at $21,995, the Jeep Compass starts at $18,795, and the Jeep Patriot starts at $16,395, so the Trax needs to have a lot of standard equipment for it to make sense.

#16 ·
I was hoping for slightly lower pricing, but guess it's fair enough. What I'm most interested in is the standard/optional equipment roster. I also think that by the time these are on the lots the quality should be better(give them the chance to build some and get it down pat). I want to check these out when they finally show up and see if it's really any good because so far pictures aren't cutting it. I like the running footage on the Chevy site but in person is better.

#24 ·
It's going to take more than a few dollars that most people in the target market don't have at their disposal.

FWIW, both models have been available here since launch and I see far more Encores on the road. I can't imagine many higher-end trim level Traxes selling with the Encore offering a better value. The Trax looks like snub-nosed Equinox while the Encore has a sportier presence and offers better materials.

#25 · (Edited)
We heard all these things about the Encore - too small, too poorly equipped, too expensive. It's now the biggest-selling SUV in it's segment and I believe one of Buick's biggest-selling models. I imagine the Trax will make a big splash.

So what if you could get a bigger vehicle for $1 or $2K more? Some people, just want something small and handy. I would have a Sonic or Cruze before this personally, but having lived with them for a couple of weeks, they are very cute and fun to drive - and people fit in them due to upright seating, better even than the Cruze and it's a shorter vehicle but I dislike SUVs on principle. The LTZ on 18" wheels even handles very nicely with great flickability, and you can park them in a space not much bigger than a motorcycle. Some people will happily take the lower running, insurance and general easier ownership of a small vehicle, especially now they are no longer a poverty pack.

I can't speak for Mexican build quality but the Korean built ones we get are fine with good fit and finish - no they aren't top-spec with soft touch everything but neither is anything else in the segment.

#26 ·
$17,800 for Soul Base w/auto und floormats. 130 HP 118 TQ, 30 highway rating. Yes, it's a brick.

The 1.6/6M get pretty decent MPG reports.

#27 · (Edited)
One test of this fine looking little Crossover that is sold in Canada showed a great AWD system , good handling , seating , usable interior fold flat rear seats , controls , an excellent fast usable screen display . The bad included an underachieving engine that was buzzy at higher speeds , passing was rather a bit of a joke , make sure you have lots of time for this maneuver . Also apparent was a fair bit of hard plastics and some rattles in the forward part of the cabin . Fuel consumption was about par for this size of small vehicle , for this segment , but like the engine not a benchmark for it , though . I wonder if GM ever thought of manufacturing/using Opel's fine 1.6 turbo , or a non turbo 2 liter ? Would the cost of either engine significantly increase the price of the vehicle or affect mpg too much ???

#30 ·
I think this is great. Chevy really is the only automaker in the USA with a complete line up of vehicles from micro/mini cars/cuv to full-size trucks/suv. They just need to smooth out some of the rough edges of some models. Well done Chevy!

#34 ·
About time Chevy capitalizes on their market strength in the CUV/SUV segment. The styling is meh and the price is too high, but Chevy will still sell quite a lot of them between the cheaper price and massive dealer network compared to Buick. But I still can't get past the exterior that looks much cheaper than a $15K Soul. At least its not ugly like the Soul.

This is a Hyundai version that might soon be sold in America.

Hopefully the next Trax (2020?) will borrow styling from the Chevy SS and also come with LED lights standard.

#36 ·
about $3000 more for the base Trax than a Base Soul? Not only that, but everything about this says it should be the price leader. It shares many parts, interior looks and even the entire Powertain of the Sonic...basically, it IS a Sonic that is a little bit taller using a powertrain that is now what....4 years old or more?

I was hoping base price of an LS would come in close to 18,900, and I could get a LTZ with the nice wheels for maybe $22,000-$23,000.

With the Soul available (and in my opinion, with a MUCH better looking interior) and even the Jeep Renegade coming soon, I don't see much reason to get this at that price unless they are selling it close to Invoice, with $1000 Factory cash on the hood, and with a GM card discount.

#37 ·
The more I think about this----the more I don't like the pricing. That price is for the LS, right? I'm not talking about an LTZ, but what will an LT be then? It just seems that as this vehicle has nothing groundbreaking----no new powertrains to the segment----no new technology----as others have said it's basically a Tall Sonic or a corner cutting version of the Encore----then this should have an MSRP near or AT the bottom compared to other Micro crossovers.

I don't see many people buying this over a Renegade, Soul, or even an Encore for that price unless they are just Chevy people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.