Chevrolet May Deep-Six 'Chevy Runs Deep' Slogan

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet May Deep-Six 'Chevy Runs Deep' Slogan

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Chevrolet May Deep-Six 'Chevy Runs Deep' Slogan

Detroit Free Press

January 3, 2013

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article Quotes:

For now, Chevy still runs deep.

But the fate of the marketing slogan Chevrolet debuted in 2010 will be decided in the first quarter of 2013, said Chris Perry, marketing vice president for Chevrolet.

The automaker and its advertising agency, Commonwealth, are actively evaluating the campaign and considering alternatives as General Motors globalizes its core brand.

"We have not made a decision yet," Perry said. "What does a global campaign look like and how do we execute it? Is it one line around the globe or is it different taglines? That's what we're looking at right now."

The "Chevy Runs Deep" campaign was designed to appeal to the historical sensibility of American consumers, emphasizing the emotional connection within families and between drivers and their cars.

But the campaign has received mixed reviews, and experts say the company may take a new direction soon.

"I'm not sure that was appropriate for the mainstream market that they're in," Polk Automotive analyst Thomas Libby said. "They need to create a message that conveys some type of differential advantage, some benefit to the mainstream buyer that the Asians cannot offer."

A sense of depth resonates, but may not lead to sales, he said.

"Certainly Toyota and Honda cannot speak to the same history and longevity, but they've done fairly well," he said.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Re: Chevrolet May Deep-Six 'Chevy Runs Deep' Slogan

Changes are expensive. Should they do so, let's hope it's worth it.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 majicbz07's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

They should bring back "Like A Rock" for the trucks at least as I remember those commercials from growing up.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

This should've been abandoned 2 weeks after it's release. This never caught on and it never stirred emotions en masse.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Go back to "See the U.S.A., in your Chevrolet". Regional taglines would work way better than a one size fits all approach.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 FUTURE_OF_GM's Avatar
    Thanks

Didn't we hear that this was "maybe gunna" get canned over a year ago?!

Why does it take GM so long to make decisions?

"Chevy Runs Deep" is a lame excuse for a slogan... Kill it already!

It literally means nothing to most consumers.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Chevy should be focusing on the cars themselves, less on emotional attachment and historical BS. Driving dynamics, interior design, engines.... sell the car, not some idea that is no longer relevant to most car buyers.

There was a time you could sell Chevy as being American, (Like a Rock, Heartbeat of America, See the USA in your Chevrolet, etc). Not now. People want to know what makes a Chevy better than a Honda. Quite frankly that's a tough sell, but they have to focus on the product. Make the product better, then advertise what makes the product better.

Thanks

The only TV auto commercials that I watch and actually listen to are the Chrysler Ram spots. Sam Elliot's voice is perfect for promoting trucks and the slogan "Ram Tough" is excellent. IMO, Toyota has the most annoying. Too many, too frequent and aimed at people who hate driving.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

Um, I thought that was a foregone conclusion. Let it run its course, then drop it like a rock.
    I didn't go to math school, so I'm not going to do the math.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Corvette Convertible-Cruze

The only thing I've heard from this "running deep" was derogatory additions people add to it. That so call expert GM hired and fired no long ago (cannot think of his name now) did GM no good. Maybe now GM can start getting good ads.
    Last edited by Al465; 01-04-2013 at 07:34 AM.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

You can’t fix stupid…Here’s your sign GM!

Thanks

Chevy needs to return to a company that wows people with an unexpected value. Prime Example- forcing people to have to move up to the LTZ Sonic if they want a sun roof. Why wouldn't a sunroof be a stand-alone option for every trim level. Instead of having LS, 1LT, 2LT, & LTZ, I say simplify model designations down to 2 equipment levels. One could be very nicely equiped and the other could be fully loaded. The economies of scale could keep options cheaper with suppliers and the customers would have a much more pleasant buying experience. And offer SS variants for most models without forcing the individual into buying more equipment than they want. Maybe even simplify it down to choosing just a handful of options such as the case of the Spark. I think Leather or Cloth, Manual or Automatic, Sunroof or Not and then let the rest of the choices be exterior color and interior color and trim ei; wood, metal, carbon fiber. The percieved value and positive buying experience would resonate with the buying public through word-of-mouth far better than some cheesy half-baked slogan. Then maybe a new generation can start developing warm and fuzzy feelings toward Chevrolets the way their grand parents once did. Just my unsolicited 2 cents, for what it's worth.
    Last edited by Benjiwah; 01-04-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope so, it is beyond lame, right up there with "The Power of &" and 'Pontiac is Car' and 'The Caddy that Zigs'....hard to believe that people got paid to come up with these!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

How about Chevrolet, More Leg Room? For you, McGarrett!
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Thanks

Why not bring back "Like a Rock" ???

The truck is very conservative. Their buyers are allegedly conservative. Of course, no agency would admit that they cant do better.

Look at another failed campaign that used the same tagline for over 30 years.

"Ultimate Driving Machine"

Some things just work forever. Coca-Cola, Levi's, Craftsman hand tools,..."Like a Rock"
    Last edited by GM-10; 01-04-2013 at 08:21 AM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information