GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevrolet To Introduce Cool Smartphone Feature

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  mbukukanyau 
#1 ·

Chevy Introduces Cool Smartphone Feature
Nope, GMI can't take credit for the corny pun, but ever have your phone get so hot while charging in your car that you've had to drop it like a hot potatoe (with apologies to Dan Quayle)?

Well, Chevrolet will have a solution to this new-age problem if you buy a 2016 Impala, Malibu, Cruze, or Volt equipped with wireless charging. According to AutoGuide, "active phone cooling" to keep your smartphone from overheating while charging wirelessly. A cold-air vent implemented in the bin of the center stack (where your phone can be charged wirelessly) is the clever solution.

Credit goes to Chevy engineers who noticed that some phones would "suspend charging or even shut off all together during extreme heat tests."

See less See more
#5 ·
Really? The air conditioner that keeps the passenger from overheating doesn't keep the air cold enough to help a phone from overheating? I guess I won't be upgrading phones. Mine has rapid charging but doesn't overheat. I guess people who have an LG G4 will be buying Chevys now. :lmao:

#8 ·
when "locked away" in the centre console where air does NOT reach it I wonder if it heats in the winter IE is a tap off the rear vents OR a dedicated cooling vent?
because the opposite happens in the winter up here in CANADA where iPhones will "freeze" and shut down before the car interior warms up unless the phone is left in your pocket

#9 ·
I've only had one instance where my phone got so cold that it sapped the juice in phone & wouldn't even charge due to it being so cold. No problem, I just stuck it on the defroster vents & waited a minute or 2. Then, it went to charging with no problem. If the new cooling vent will be in the console under the radio, then the charge/sync port should be close & not in the armrest part of the console. If people kept their phones under the radio in the first place, then there would be airflow & it would be the cold air of the A/C. It just seems like an answer to a question that I've never heard anyone ask.

#15 ·
I can't even imagine driving a car without bluetooth or ipod integration.
It would nearly impossible.

Chevy needs more youth-oriented features like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.