GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevrolet FNR Concept Previews Sci-Fi Future

4K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Timekeeper 
#1 ·
Chevrolet FNR Concept Previews Sci-Fi Future
By Luke Vandezande
Apr 20, 2015

The Chevrolet FNR Concept debuted today during the Shanghai Motor Show, previewing GM’s plans for self-driving vehicles.

GM’s Pan Asia Technical Automotive Center (PATAC) developed the design, which is meant to preview a future where personal transportation doesn’t rely on gasoline or drivers. The FNR is an electric car that uses crystal laser headlights and taillights. It also has hubless electric wheel motors.

CONTINUE AT AUTOGUIDE.COME

Images credited to, and courtesy of, AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, so....um....was that worth the wait?

Always interesting to see outlandish and futuristic car designs, but in this case, I'm not sure if it was worth the wait.

Just my opinion, of course.

Reactions: steve333
#8 ·

Stop it you guys.

Lots of Automakers do this sort of thing.

It's fantastic!

Production ready? Of course not.

This is a MARKETING EXCERCISE. An attention getter.

#15 · (Edited)
Stuff like this must be very exciting to work on. Gets the creative juices flowing at the engineering centers. I'm glad GM still puts some energy into these off-the-wall concepts. We keep talking about how the current generation is losing interest in driving, and it's not a new grille on the Cruze that's going to bring them back.

If anything I prefer a crazy concept like this that may not be built but that might inspire some future designs over something that looks close to production ready but is watered down on its way to being built. To me the G6 is the worst offender in recent-ish GM history.

#18 ·
I have no issues with letting the designers have at it as this would NOT cost much and maybe some of the design elements will get "sharpened" and put in production and if the designers are NOT allowed to run wild there ideas may never get "put on paper" and fleshed out
+ cool PR move in this fiscally conservative climate

#20 ·
This is what a Concept Car USED TO BE.

Only fairly recently have Concepts become only slightly different production cars without Federal bumpers and over-wrought interiors.

Reactions: johnstarnes
#22 ·
Very nice. Can't wait to see what elements of its design will appear on production vehicles in the coming years. Regardless of whether or not it's capable of production, these concepts are always built to inspire.

#23 ·
None, The only production nod is some form of the Bolt (Concept/Productions) grille or lack of one with an indent and chrome/brushed aluminum trapezoid. This is a shame. Why not flirt with a Cruze coupe TRU140 S updated with the Concept bolts svelte lines and the new corporate grille. This was an opportunity lost. They should have brought he Chaparral Chevy Gran Turismo Concept that was futuristic enough in a Mazda Furia type way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.