GM Inside News Forum banner

Car and Driver: C8 Chevrolet Corvette Exclusive!

20K views 59 replies 38 participants last post by  5.3Avalanche 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
C8 Chevrolet Corvette Exclusive! What to Expect from the Heart-Stopping, Mid-Engined Zora!
We have serious dirt on GM's secret mid-engined supercar.
Car and Driver
BY DON SHERMAN
September 2014

The Plan
The C8 flagship, the Zora ZR1, will debut the new mid-engine architecture. Launching as a 2017 model, it will define the top of the Corvette hierarchy just as its precursors did in the 1990–1995 C4 generation and 2009–2013 C6 model years. As before, the ZR1 will be low volume, roughly 1500 units per annum, and high priced. We figure around $150,000. It’ll be a stand-alone special that will peacefully coexist in Chevy showrooms with C7 models for a few years. The new platform, with appropriate bodywork and ****pit changes, could also support a revived Cadillac XLR (with *better sales success than the last one, we hope). By 2020, we expect the C7 to take its rightful place in the National Corvette/Sinkhole Museum and that all future models—yes, even the base Corvette—will shift to the mid-engine platform.

*Full Article at Link

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Road and Track: C8 Chevrolet Corvette Exclusive!

Edit - Can a moderator please correct the thread's title from Road and Track to Car and Driver

Sorry for the error
Actually, you can do that yourself. Click on Edit Post, then "Advanced". You can then alter the thread title.

#4 ·

For one, The C7 has only two variants at this point, in the next few years we will probably see other variants. The Zora will probably be a Z/28 style non turbo below 600 HP naturally aspirated direct injection motor, probably developed with collaboration from pratt & Miller from their 5.5 racing version...

So, The only way I can see GM investing in a mid engined car using corvette architecture is probably with Cadillac, but then again, Cadillac might want a carbon fibre tub and a hybrid configuration for their upcoming supercar..

#24 ·

For one, The C7 has only two variants at this point, in the next few years we will probably see other variants. The Zora will probably be a Z/28 style non turbo below 600 HP naturally aspirated direct injection motor, probably developed with collaboration from pratt & Miller from their 5.5 racing version...

So, The only way I can see GM investing in a mid engined car using corvette architecture is probably with Cadillac, but then again, Cadillac might want a carbon fibre tub and a hybrid configuration for their upcoming supercar..
The only reason there is a 5.5L is class rules in racing.

And it's likely that there will be a Z06X.

#11 ·

All I care about is it becoming a Cadillac and preferably getting 1) AWD and 2) a roadster.
I think de Ny will jump on that opportunity. He knows that synergy first hand with the R8/Gallardo. Cadillac will never have a better business case than amortizing the project across two brands. Without the Corvette, we would probably never see one for Cadillac. And hey, Cadillac can add new numbers to their nomenclature!

#6 · (Edited)

- this company is going to need to sell off Chevrolet or send Chevrolet ( and probably more than that ) to a HQs in India or China......... with three pay phones (only) and cell blocking tech if resources are ever going to be properly allocated and used.

For Cadillac

For Buick and Opel/ Vauxhall

For GMC

For anything worth having or doing with regard to the product, power trains , the brands, and the firm @ large.

Just can't seem to dance .....

No doubt about it now the Bankster - BK GM assassination / slow death attempt was more successful than a failure with mods.

Also via that - apparently ? lost too many of the right people and kept too many of the epically problematic people - @ the top especially.

Helps make a Chevrolet = GM ( eventually ) more likely as well.

#9 ·
Related: Car and Driver - A Mid-Engined C8 Corvette Is Coming: The 10 Cars that Paved the Way

2006–2008 C7 Engineering Proposal
A mid-engined Corvette was closer to production reality than you might think. Championed by then assistant chief engineer Tadge Juechter, the Corvette group in 2006 began studying mid-engine performance improvements and rearranged proportions. GM’s design department sculpted a full-size clay model and more than a dozen alternative scale models. Eventually, Juechter sold GM vice chairman Bob Lutz and chairman Rick Wagoner on the idea. Unfortunately, this plan died in the teeth of the Great Recession and GM’s 2009 bankruptcy. All Corvette development funding came to a halt. Even though the C7 was resuscitated with a low-risk front engine, the tenacious Juechter never abandoned his mid-engine hopes. Engineering work begun in 2006 should finally bear fruit as the 2017 Corvette ZR1.
I remember reading about these rumors. I'd love to see what those clay models looked like.

#12 ·
one of the great things about the corvette is that it has usability a daily driver. there is plenty of room for storage whether it's groceries or luggage. a mid engine car wont have that, especially since they will want to show the engine off and there will be no package tray over the engine like the pantera had.
hopefully they can get some storage bnetween the engine and bumper but am doubtful.

#14 ·
The one thing I think C&D is getting wrong here is that this won't replace the "base" Stingray Corvette but will be an additional model shared with Cadillac. The current Stingray design will continue as a Chevy only and the volume seller. This way GM can continue to keep the Stingray a modestly price sports car while also fulfilling every Corvette fan's dream of a super car version that the current Corvettes are just a step or two from being.

#16 ·

Well this mid-engine story may be true this time!

I wonder if Cadillac will get a version some day?

They can call it CT9999

#17 ·
Didn't someone already post something about this a week or two ago? Or maybe I saw the cover in the Airport. Anyway, I don't want a mid-engine Corvette. Give it to Caddy! I like front engine rwd Proportions. Mid-engine cars look FWD to me. The only one's I like are Lambo's.

#18 ·
I'd love to see a mid-engine Cadillac, but I'm not very excited about the Corvette. A mid-engine Vette just doesn't sit well with me, I'm sure it will be amazing. But part of the Vette's amazing-ness is that it either keeps up with or destroys the best that Europe has to offer at 2x or more the price. I get the performance reasons and I get that GM wants to increase it's profit, but not by doing this. I really want to see this for a Cadillac, the proportions will look worldly and sophisticated and be an image maker.

Though maybe I'd feel better about a mid-engine Vette if there were better drawings than the C&D ones, I don't like any.

And to add to this, I'd prefer GM to wait another 10 years and flesh out Cadillac's lineup with more coupes, convertibles, fastbacks, and above CT6 vehicles, etc (and, sigh, yes CUVs). Cadillac needs to build up it's image first before putting out a $150,000 exotic, otherwise even if awesome people won't buy. Caddy has a better chance of improving its desirability with a $150,000 vehicle that looks like the Ciel or Elmiraj.

#21 ·
I'd love to see a mid-engine Cadillac, but I'm not very excited about the Corvette. A mid-engine Vette just doesn't sit well with me, I'm sure it will be amazing. But part of the Vette's amazing-ness is that it either keeps up with or destroys the best that Europe has to offer at 2x or more the price. I get the performance reasons and I get that GM wants to increase it's profit, but not by doing this. I really want to see this for a Cadillac, the proportions will look worldly and sophisticated and be an image maker.

And to add to this, I'd prefer GM to wait another 10 years and flesh out Cadillac's lineup with more coupes, convertibles, fastbacks, and above CT6 vehicles, etc (and, sigh, yes CUVs). Cadillac needs to build up it's image first before putting out a $150,000 exotic, otherwise even if awesome people won't buy. Caddy has a better chance of improving its desirability with a $150,000 vehicle that looks like the Ciel or Elmiraj.
Cad has never had a rep for two seaters like...ever. The XLR was a major dud. Corvette has the panache.

Next step is a quasi Panamera Vette sedan.

#20 ·
Chevy/GM sees where national income distribution is going. 95% of income gains since the D/Recession have gone to the super wealthy 1%.

That's why we had a $75K Z28 - and now a Corvette is coming that's twice that much.

The shared prosperity of the post WWII 1950-'80 period is long gone.

We are moving back to an auto market that increasingly looks like the 1920's where you had $500 Chevys and $10,000 Duesenbergs.

#22 · (Edited)
And one can easily 'question' GM's plans to succeed within that.

( Maybe....... they actually believe ? all the NYC / DC happy horse**** about were we've been, are now, and are headed ?????? )

During the 20s ( really mid- late '20s / early '30s are most relevant ) - they didn't bring uber pricy Chevrolets. ( Not referring to the strong as dirt value propositions for all the new 'Vettes. )

You know, in another thread I was going to suggest Cadillac should tie up with the Chicago Cubs.

Seems this variant of the 'new' GM would be a better fit as hard as that is to imagine.

Made for each other really.....

Cad has never had a rep for two seaters like...ever. The XLR was a major dud. Corvette has the panache.

Next step is a quasi Panamera Vette sedan.

Exactly - a real Y 'body' special..... V2.

Which would be great - if Cadillac gets it the way they want it.

And maybe, again, if done with skill and finesse, something related for Buick.

Absolutely positively - nothing for Chevrolet within it is just as fundamental.

#25 · (Edited)
?????

You do not stand corrected - you already were good.

They never sold it did they.....

Anyway, the play with reference to "Y" is about both the old Y 'body' as per yours + the 'Vette's use of "Y" 'platform' designation.

So...... bringing the two "Y"s together ( sloppy like for a 4dr Coupe as per yours ) in a sense - for Cadillac.

Just ( meant ) as a variation on a ( your ) theme really.

#27 ·
I don't particularly believe much in this article. Especially the notion that Lutz and Wagoner signed off on a mid engine Corvette and therefore it was done.....I gotta call BS on that.

First, Wagoner "signed off" on a CTS coupe years ago (as in over 10!). Lutz "signed off" on the Cadillac Sixteen..... however, seemingly oblivious to those who want to sell magazines, that "signing off" really means championing or being in favor of a project does not mean it's anything resembling a go! Does anyone remember the fact that soon after his arrival, Bob Lutz was pushing for a Kappa platform that would have served as a small 4 cylinder based, RWD platform for coupes, sedans, and sports cars?

Second, all things in the old GM had to pass through GM's product planning board, which is a group at GM that includes various department heads as well as board of director members. Lutz and Wagoner were single votes in this entity, which is why even though Wagoner was CEO and Lutz was "product Czar, neither had the power to singlehandedly decide what was made and what wasn't, and none had sole ability to "sign off" on anything. Remember that our dearly loved and successful 5th Camaro had to be snuck through the system through a back channel, it's name couldn't even be mentioned within GM or anyone working in it, and they had to rely on public acclaim for force momentum to build to get it into production.....even though it essentially cost relative pennies to develop on Zeta?

Finally, Team Corvette's motto for the past 20 years has been "Better, Faster, Cheaper!" Any idea applied to Corvette has to fall into those 3 categories. The question then becomes, does spending the money creating an entirely new platform that puts the engine behind the driver fall into Team Corvette's mantra? Are there advantages to it? Does it make the car lighter, faster, cheaper, better?

Team Corvette also has their finger not only on the pulse of Corvette owners and enthusiasts, but they also live and breathe everything those guys feel and think. Are Corvette buyers and enthusiasts clamoring for a mid-rear engine Corvette? Is this what a Corvette really is??

The more you dig and the more you think, the more you get a feeling that the article is yet another effort to sell copy by taking a subject that comes up each and every time a new Corvette starts through the process and blowing things out of proportion. GM, like every other company, looks at all options when taking on an iconic car and creating a new version of it. They always as a rule look at going a different direction (as happened with Camaro and Mustang development, as well as the next gen Challenger). As always happens, the basics are kept. When you walk away from the basics, you wind up with cars like the GM80 Camaro and Firebird, and the MazStang (replacement cars that wind up alienating the base, and potentially running the brand). In both those instances, someone woke up and realized that the formula works and the best people to check with are owners and enthusiasts.

Maybe Cadillac is developing a mid engine sports car. Maybe Chevrolet did take a look at it. But the level that this magazine is blowing it up (it's during a traditionally slow news month before we get to the new model year lineup) to sell more print.

When I wrote, I also experienced this firsthand.

#31 ·
I think either way is possible. The thing is now there are some stars aligning:
- Cadillac getting it's own engine family
- Cadillac's desire for a sports car/more aspiration models
- The fact that we are reaching a limit where you can't keep increasing tire width and the ability to put down power to 2 tires
- Need for more higher margin products
- GM's feeling that they're missing out on the high end sports car market leaving it to Mclaren, most likely a cheaper Ferrari en route, the MB AMG GT, a probable cheaper Porsche 918, and because of the Audi R8 and BMW i8.

#35 ·
Well, I think GM should add some extra sound deadening and remove the top so that Buick can have a roadster version.

And if they do a All Wheel Drive version for Cadillac, then they can just add a bed onto that so GMC can have a version too.

Then, they can swap in a 4 cylinder diesel and Opel can have their version.

sarcasm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.