GM Inside News Forum banner

Apple Carplay and Android Auto in new Chevrolets

4K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  MaxLegroom 
#1 ·
While Hyundai may be the first automaker to finally ship Android Auto – on just one car – Chevrolet is going for volume. So for the 2016 model year, it’s shipping 14 cars that are compatible with either Android Auto, Apple CarPlay or both.

Two MyLink systems will be offered, with the 7-inch version ready for both iPhone and Android users, and capable of running both systems. That system is coming to the new Malibu, along with the Cruze, Camaro, Silverado, and Spark.

The 8-inch system will be available on the Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Camaro, Corvette, Colorado, Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, and the new Volt. However, that system will only be capable of running Apple CarPlay “at the beginning of the 2016 model year” with Android Auto functionality coming later in the year because of, we’re told, “integration issues.”

More at Jalopnik: http://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-offering-15-cars-with-android-auto-and-carpla-1707244659

Reactions: Butz
#7 ·
What about the other GM brands?

Reactions: CJH
#22 ·
And that's what I am wondering. I'd be pissed if I just bought an Escalade Platinum and a flippin' Cruze gets this before I do.

#8 ·
How wonderful it was when your car was an oasis to get away from everything and enjoy driving.... When Luxury meant a velvety soft ride, a quiet interior and back seats were big enough to lay down and take a nap on. Not pretending you were going to drive the autobahn. When the latest electronics meant a power telescoping antenna and an 8 track player.

Snicker if you want, but motoring was alot more fun back then.

#13 ·
Here's a press release - if it hasn't already been posted...

LOS ANGELES – 05.27.2015 – According to Strategy Analytics, there are more than 2.3 billion smartphones in use globally, and that number continues to rise. And on the road, customers are demanding better integration between phones and their vehicles. Whether they have an Apple or Android phone, Chevrolet is committed to providing the smartest, simplest connected driving experience possible to owners across the globe.

For the 2016 model year, Chevrolet will offer Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility in more models than any automotive brand. The 14 Chevrolet models include the all-new 2016 Chevy Cruze compact car, which will debut on June 24. Cruze is Chevrolet’s best-selling passenger car, with more than 3 million sold since launch. Additional models are listed in a chart below.

“For most of us, our smartphones are essential,” said Mary Barra, CEO of General Motors. “Partnering with Apple and Google to offer CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility across the widest range of models in the industry is a great example of how Chevy continues to democratize technology that’s important to our customers.”

Read the rest...

#14 · (Edited)
The thing that really bugs me about car companies is the planned obsolescence. Why can't I add this feature to my 2014 Verano with IntelliLink for a price. Just like CUE updates that aren't available to anything but the 2016 Cadillac line. Even if they charged $400 for adding functionality I would be happy to pay instead of seeking out aftermarket or just not having a feature(Let's admit, average me can't buy a new car every time the radio changes).

We've seen it in other years from GM as well, the 2012 Regal didn't have Bluetooth audio streaming, just calling. People started buying the module for the 2013 and retrofitting it in to add that simple small feature. I bet even more people would have forked $250 over to a dealer to get the same thing done. Again with the 2008-2009 CTS, partway through they added Bluetooth calling so people with early builds were replacing Onstar modules so they could have Bluetooth calling. It is a simple way to make your cars more appealing in the long run which boosts residuals and keeps customers coming back.

Heck, Apple and Android manufacturers promise that when I buy a phone that I will get 24 months worth of updates for it. Why can't a car maker?

#17 ·
More useless junk,,and only good for Big Brother to spy on us..lol
I hate the touch screen on my Apple IPad with a passion,,not sure I would like this..what happens when it gets -30 below in winter?

#26 ·
More useless junk,,and only good for Big Brother to spy on us..lol
I hate the touch screen on my Apple IPad with a passion,,not sure I would like this..what happens when it gets -30 below in winter?
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Uhh what car is this? I can't recall seeing it before:

2016 Cruze!

Reactions: Live001
#28 ·
GM should quietly put this in all their brands. I get it that Chevy is the entry level and probably attracts the most young shoppers that will be interested in tech like this, but I could see GMC and Cadillac buyers wanting this as well. Let Chevy get all the press and just quietly put it in the ATS, GMC's, etc..

Either way, cool tech and I'm glad GM is getting a jump on it vs. being behind the times.

Was this one of Akerson's projects? Wasn't he big on getting phone type tech in the cars?

#29 ·
not sure I get the point of all of this. Most makers have said they will commit to supporting both Apple and Android in car, and of course this is simply an app that works on top of the in car system (likely powered by QNX) that will function perfectly fine (ie. streaming music, connected phonebook, calls, text alerts..etc etc). Why go through the efforts, when you already have to create the system to run without either of those OS's being emulated? Seems redundant to me.

#32 ·
Because this is the first step to having your smartphone/tablet taking over the entertainment/GPS functionality and allowing the auto manufacturers to focus on making the cars around them. In general, the dedicated systems are almost always mediocre, overly expensive, and lacking in the latest features, and they know that. They are not a good value for the customer - and they get panned on it in customer ratings. In the not too distant future your phone will be the "in car system", outside of the dedicated car systems. So the infotainment screen will just have a basic system with the different apps for the different phone operating systems, you pick the one you have, and voila everything is controlled by your phone. I, to an extent already do this in my Durango. Despite have a dedicated Nav system, I use Google maps on my phone 99% of the time, and play music off of my phone as well. Most systems already allow integrated music/texting/phone calls via Bluetooth or USB. So its
just integrating that experience completely into the vehicle in a way that is easier and more familiar, better, and more flexible than anything the auto manufacturers can ever hope to do.

#34 ·
I saw another article that said "no" - it appears it is based off v2 of MyLink, but very few details. I dont understand why the latest couldnt be updated/retrofitted to support this. Id pay $300 to upgrade the MyLink in my Cruze to add this.

Ive seen other sites where you can easily add Nav to a Cruze with MyLink that doesnt already have it. There is a module and GPS antenna to plugin and thats it - about $400 if you really want to.

If this runs on the current MyLink hardware then GM should find a way to retrofit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.