About To Lease A Cruze? Step Up To A Malibu & Save $133!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About To Lease A Cruze? Step Up To A Malibu & Save $133!

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

About To Lease A Cruze? Step Up To A Malibu & Save $133!

Chevrolet Website

Chevrolet Current Offers

Chevy.com shows the following leases available this morning...

2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS

$179 PER MONTH FOR 36 MONTHS WITH $2,329 DUE AT SIGNING.
    + $350 DUE AT LEASE TERMINATION

Example based on survey. Each dealer sets their own price. Your payments may vary. Payments are for a 2013 Cruze LS and an MSRP of $19,020. 36 monthly payments total $6,440. Option to purchase at lease end for an amount to be determined at lease signing. GM Financial, must approve lease. Mileage charge of $.20/mile over 36,000 miles. Lessee pays for maintenance, repair and excess wear. Payments may be higher in some states. Must show proof of current lease of a 1999 or newer non-GM vehicle. Residency restrictions apply. Take delivery by 1/2/13. See dealer for details.

List price: $19,020 36 payments = $6440 Requires $2329 at signing + $350 at termination = $9119.00

2013 Chevrolet Malibu LS

$199 PER MONTH FOR 36 MONTHS & WITH $1,479 DUE AT SIGNING.
    + $350 DUE AT LEASE TERMINATION

Example based on survey. Each dealer sets their own price. Your payments may vary. Payments are for a 2013 Malibu LS and an MSRP of $23,150. 36 monthly payments total $7,157. Option to purchase at lease end for an amount to be determined at lease signing. GM Financial, must approve lease. Mileage charge of $.20/mile over 36,000 miles. Lessee pays for maintenance, repair and excess wear. Payments may be higher in some states. Must show proof of current lease of a 1999 or newer non-GM vehicle. Residency restrictions apply. Take delivery by 11/30/12. See dealer for details.

List price: $23,150 36 payments = $7157 Requires $1479 at signing + $350 at termination = $8986.00

Thus, using Chevy's numbers, the Malibu lease (with a list price difference of $4130 over the smaller Cruze), is $133 less than the Cruze lease.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Re: About To Lease A Cruze? Step Up To A Malibu & Save $133!

Note that you MUST currently lease a non-GM vehicle to participate in either of these offers.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Black Cadillac ATS 2.0

Just another reason why they failed the Malibu, they have to cannibalize the better in every way Cruze to try to move it. Sorry, but the Malibu is DOA.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 majicbz07's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

I finally saw the new Malibu up close yesterday and by coincidence there the previous gen in front of it in the same color (white), The new one definately grabs your attention and its looks wider and more muscular compared to the outgoing model. Even a friend of mine who doesn't care too much for American cars said it looks really good but he then points out that its smaller than all the other midsizes and the way the interior looks.

I hope GM is listening and remedies some of the complaints, the only one I don't they think they will be able to do is the rear seat legroom but lets hope they can at least address everything else.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jkujo View Post
    Just another reason why they failed the Malibu, they have to cannibalize the better in every way Cruze to try to move it. Sorry, but the Malibu is DOA.
    more delusion. How is the Cruze better in every way? The Malibu looks as good as the cruze, is faster, has a larger trunk, has more engine choices and is far better equipped. One could argue the cruze suffers from the same faults as Malibu: tight back seat, less than stellar mileage (not including eco) and conservative styling.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
    more delusion. How is the Cruze better in every way? The Malibu looks as good as the cruze, is faster, has a larger trunk, has more engine choices and is far better equipped. One could argue the cruze suffers from the same faults as Malibu: tight back seat, less than stellar mileage (not including eco) and conservative styling.
    For what they are supposed to be, the cruze is better...cruze is a very good compact, while the malibu is a poor midsizer compared to the competition. We have owned a few midsizers in the last decade...including a recent last gen malibu. I dislike the new malibu so much...i almost am resentful toward gm for it.....i really really wanted to like the malibu so much that id make it our next car....but in all honesty, a $3000 cash rebate wouldnt even do it for me.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

wow,first of all the lease on the Malibu is a competitive action stemming from the very successful promo from Toyota ,the 199 lease....secondly I have seen and driven both malibus,and the new one is markedly better,also this rear legroom crap is just a load of phooey,why most family sedans are used for families not full blown adults ,if you want something for larger families well there are many options but you have to realize one size doesn't fit all ,they have the new impala coming,they have equinox, etc you compare midsize cars like they all have to out do each other,then each new model gets bigger wider and longer and then what do you have

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

45.5 / 34.6....front and rear leg room in the hot selling sonata,checked rear leg room on accord and camry well they have a whopping inch and half more,But I guess the sonata buyer is overall not concerned with their tiny rear seat leg room,also I have a family sedan and the back seat is hardly ever used....but keep knocking the Malibu....most people buy what someone else tells them to buy...stay in that mind set lets all go out and get an outdated iphone ,oh that's right most of you do oh by the way the rear legroom on a Malibu is a smidge under 37 inches....36.90 to be exactand the trunk is bigger than a Hondas...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Wow! Soooo much hate on this car! Especially on this site! Personally I like it! AND I like it better than the over-hyped Fusion!
    Truckin!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

You should check out legend leasing since you are in the tri state area.you may not be able to get a GM product but I believe they can hook you up with a more expensive car for less ,,,,

The hurricane may have screwed them but it's worth a look

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTA trains and buses

Quote Originally Posted by delmarjohn View Post
    secondly I have seen and driven both malibus,and the new one is markedly better
    Eighth generation Malibu MY 2013 is markedly better in the following areas: turning circle, trunk space (non-Eco models)

Seventh generation Malibu is better overall in most other respects.

Nonetheless, 2013 Malibu is at least a decent car, and the Malibu LS lease deal Perian mentioned is competitive.
    My modes of transportation: CTA 'L' & buses, Metra, Pace bus, rental cars (usually GM), taxicabs, bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jkujo View Post
    Not necessarily... I've been a critic of the new Malibu, not to the extent of some here, but I do believe it should've/could've been better, to say the least.

Though I think the Cruze is a better car in its segment, this leasing info really has nothing to do with "which is better, Cruze or Malibu?" It has everything to do with what the vehicle will be worth to the leasing company at the end of the lease. The fact is, 95% of the time, mid-size sedans will have better residual values than their compact siblings. Not to mention the mid-size segment is even more cutthroat, with every brand offering a very good model, meaning more competitive pricing/leasing.

If I was in the market to lease a compact because of price, this offer would most certainly grab my attention. The Cruze LS, which is equipped with the 1.8, is simply no match for the Malibu LS as an overall vehicle. As a matter of fact, I've been very vocal about how great the Cruze Eco is and that it would most certainly be my choice of Cruze models. But even if that was offered at the same lease payment as the Cruze LS, I still may choose the Malibu LS over it, even though I cannot get a manual tranny in the 'bu.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Cruze or Malibu, thats a lot of car for the money.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

The Malibu is a solid car, it has some draw backs and its not very popular with the auto rags like Motor Trend. I think its funny because these same auto rags rate the Toyota Camry either last or next to last and its the best selling mid sized sedan on the market. Motor Trend also loves the Mustang over the Camaro and we see how that plays out sales wise, if Motor Trend doesn't like it then its likely to do extremely well in its segment.

With that said, I feel that the cramped back seat is over played by much of the automotive press. One issue that they have is they need something objective to point out in order to differentiate between the different vehicles. While the Malibu doesn't have the biggest back seat in its class, no one seems to ask the question of does it need to have the biggest back seat in the mid sized sedan?. It has a bigger trunk then many of the competitors and yet this doesn't really get brought up nearly as much as the back seat issue. I know for me I own a mid sized sedan and the back seat gets used maybe once every 6 months.

I do think that the interior is a bit busy, and fuel economy on the base 2.5L isn't good enough while the Eco model is too expensive to compete with base model everyone else. While the eco model is good if you are looking to purchase a mid level Malibu many buyers do a lot of shopping online now days. They will see that the Eco is a good $3,000-$5,000 more then its competitors base price and pass it up for that reason. Then they will buy an optioned up Camry that cost $28,000 not knowing that the Malibu Eco base has a lot of standard features.

The best way I see them going about fixing the fuel economy issue on the base Malibu would be to use the 1.6T engine mated to an 8 speed automatic gear box. I want this to take over as the Eco model as it should cost less then the current one. The goal for this setup should be 40MPG highway......

This really plays into something interesting, car makers make their vehicles bigger with each new generation. Its really a bad move however we now see what happens when you don't do that.
    Last edited by 63GrandSport001; 11-21-2012 at 11:58 AM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    Wow! Soooo much hate on this car! Especially on this site! Personally I like it! AND I like it better than the over-hyped Fusion!

I have to agree on that. The Malibu in LTZ trim looks amazing with the white diamond tricoat.

As for the people who say the Malibu feels small....its pretty close in Dimensions to the cruze:
    DIMENSIONS Malibu Cruze
    Overall Width 73.00 70.70
    Wheelbase 107.80 105.70
    Overall Height 57.60 58.10
    Front Head Room 39.00 39.30
    Rear Head Room 37.50 37.90
    Front Hip Room 55.00 53.00
    Rear Hip Room 54.30 52.40
    Front Leg Room 42.10 42.28
    Rear Leg Room 36.90 35.35
    Front Shoulder Room 57.50 54.76
    Rear Shoulder Room 57.10 53.90
    Seating Capacity 5 5
    Front Tread Width 62.20 60.70
    Rear Tread Width 62.00 61.30
    Maximum Trailering Capacity 191.50 181.00

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information