2017 Will Be The End Of The Line For The Chevrolet SS - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Will Be The End Of The Line For The Chevrolet SS

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 1,191 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: 2017 Will Be The End Of The Line For The Chevrolet SS

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    I don't think Kia plans for the Stinger to be the backbone of its lineup, I think they plan for it to be a niche halo that will attract people to their more tame offerings. It's not going to lose them an arm and a leg. It's also not going to be a wild success.

I also believe GM will have a similar product in their own lineup at Holden, eventually.
    There is no "eventually" - if you kill the customer base it stays dead - do you seriously expect Aussies to come back to GM in 2030 saying, sorry we bought a Kia but we're glad to be back?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

V-Car (01-11-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Omega is too expensive I'm sure. But a CTS-sized Alpha Chevy with an LF3 would be the easy answer, or I guess if you have to, an ideal Buick Grand National. But the skeptic in me says sedans don't sell and RWD performance sedans even less so I doubt GM would build something.

Kia has almost literally nothing exciting in their lineup so I see why they came out with the Stinger.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2016 Chevy Traverse

Past:
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

megeebee (01-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,115 Times in 4,457 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    There is no "eventually" - if you kill the customer base it stays dead - do you seriously expect Aussies to come back to GM in 2030 saying, sorry we bought a Kia but we're glad to be back?
    There is an "eventually" in so far as if it's not out today and will be in the future at an unknown date, there's "eventually."

It's not about recovering a customer base, it's about establishing a headliner car for the brand. It's not going to sell in large numbers. There is no customer base to revive, as GM will be killing the traditional Commodore either way and MOST of the people not buying the new one and buying something else or a Kia Stinger instead probably aren't interested in Holden anymore.

There's a small portion of that portion of 30,000 sales that will come back for a loaded SS-like spiritual successor to the old Commodore.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    AWD GS 350 & Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    A future collectible, for sure.
    Hard to say really. Rare doesn't always translate to collectible. 4 doors tend to kill collectibility and if that doesn't styling probably will.

Cars that tend to be collectible are ones that people lust after when they are young and can't afford them. When they get older and have disposable income they tend to go back to those same cars.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to big swede For This Useful Post:

megeebee (01-12-2017),tripowergto Jan2003 (01-11-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    No more or less attractive than any other Chevy.
    You're joking right? The Camaro and Corvette are just two examples of far more attractive styling.
    My 1988 Chevy S10, 2001 Chevy Silverado, and 1976 Chevy K10
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RamJet502 For This Useful Post:

tripowergto Jan2003 (01-11-2017)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,696 Times in 2,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    You're joking right? The Camaro and Corvette are just two examples of far more attractive styling.
    Not really....
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

I don't mind the Corvette but I think the Camaro styling is not so good.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to chinamonty For This Useful Post:

Al63240 (01-12-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

I would agree they are more attractive but they're high performance coupes and obviously styling is a big factor. The SS is just a sedan, it doesn't need to look overstyled. Could it be a bit more aggressive, yeah I guess so. Seems to get enough compliments as is, actually I think the few front end tweaks for '16 helped it just a bit more.

There's always been a love/hate with the Holdens.

Back before '04: "That Holden Monaro looks awesome, why can't GM bring it over here?"
    *GM brings the car over changing nothing but the grille "Those GTO's look like Cavaliers, come on GM!".
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2016 Chevy Traverse

Past:
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    I would agree they are more attractive but they're high performance coupes and obviously styling is a big factor. The SS is just a sedan, it doesn't need to look overstyled. Could it be a bit more aggressive, yeah I guess so. Seems to get enough compliments as is, actually I think the few front end tweaks for '16 helped it just a bit more.

Back before '04: "That Holden Monaro looks awesome, why can't GM bring it over here?"
    *GM brings the car over changing nothing but the grille "Those GTO's look like Cavaliers, come on GM!".

Exactly. In context, is the SS a better looking sedan, than Corvette is a sports car, than Camaro is a pony car? That's the actual question. I'll say this about them all, we are currently NOT at the historical pinnacle of Chevy design.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,619 Posts

Thank you!
    "Believe it, don't believe it, I don't give a $h !t."

-Z284ever

"OK, do beat on me too hard"

- ED753

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    Hard to say really. Rare doesn't always translate to collectible. 4 doors tend to kill collectibility and if that doesn't styling probably will.

Cars that tend to be collectible are ones that people lust after when they are young and can't afford them. When they get older and have disposable income they tend to go back to those same cars.
    G8 GXPs were not only holding their value, low milers were actually starting to appreciate before the SS came out in '14. Who knows how the SS will be valued in 5, 10, 20 years. But I believe enough people will hold a big enough soft spot for them, where you'd never have an issue selling one for a decent price.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

big swede (01-12-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    G8 GXPs were not only holding their value, low milers were actually starting to appreciate before the SS came out in '14. Who knows how the SS will be valued in 5, 10, 20 years. But I believe enough people will hold a big enough soft spot for them, where you'd never have an issue selling one for a decent price.
    I think what's going to factor in to resale over time, is how long does Mopar keep making 300s/Chargers. If they do go out of production in '18/'19, that's pretty much it for your large RWD V8 sedan. You can't even get a V8 in an E class or 5 series anymore (sans M/AMG).

I think the V8 6-speed cars will hold their value well regardless.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2016 Chevy Traverse

Past:
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

Thanks

I think the V8 6-speed cars will hold their value well regardless.
    I think they will as well. That's not why I bought it, however. I typically drive my cars forever.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    I don't mind the Corvette but I think the Camaro styling is not so good.
    The new Camaro looks nearly identical to the previous Camaro. Did you think that one's styling is not so good either?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me2 View Post
    The new Camaro looks nearly identical to the previous Camaro. Did you think that one's styling is not so good either?
    It's not "nearly identical". I see enough differences between the two generations to where I actually prefer the OLDER generation. I thought it was a lot smoother before. It's like they figured they had to go overboard on the new Camaro, knowing it would be the same but different. Making things edgier, making the headlights squintier, lower grille bigger, etc. I just liked the cleaner style of last one, I liked the headlights and the halo integration, I liked the old SS hood, I liked the cleaner rear bumper.

So sorry, chalk me up with someone who doesn't care for the 6th gen Camaro either.

The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 68 Firebird LQ9/TKO, 64 Riviera, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 68 Buick GS 350, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 67 Biscayne 454, 72 Buick "LoSabre", 85 GMC Jimmy 6" lift on 35's.

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information