2017 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Diesel Automatic

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Diesel Automatic

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 813 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Worth cashing in that VW buyback check for?
    Car and Driver
    Joseph Capparella
    May 2017

The 137-hp turbocharged 1.6-liter inline-four is available now in the compact Chevrolet Cruze sedan and soon will be offered in the Cruze hatchback as well as in the Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain crossovers. It’s part of an exclusive club, being one of only six light-duty diesel engines certified by the EPA for the 2017 model year.

Naturally, fuel economy is a crucial metric. It’s up, according to both the EPA and our tests. The government rates it at 37 mpg combined—a 5-mpg bump from the previous Cruze diesel—with either transmission, and our overall average matched that impressive number. In our real-world, 75-mph highway loop, the Cruze achieved a remarkable 52 mpg, 6 mpg better than a Toyota Prius and about 10 percent better than the EPA’s 47-mpg highway rating.

GM’s newest diesel engine is an undeniably impressive engineering achievement, delivering solid performance and chart-topping efficiency while fully complying with federal emissions regulations. But its appeal is limited by the middle-of-the-pack compact sedan in which it’s installed.
    *Full Article at Link

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (05-08-2017),dannyg (05-08-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2017 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan Diesel Automatic

A good addition to the Cruze lineup, but it sounds like it still needs a little work. Too bad you can't get the RS appearance package on the Diesel and you're stuck with those tiny looking flanged 16" wheels.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to autofan For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (05-24-2017)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Sounds like they aren't putting any frills on the diesel model to keep the entry price lower.

Chevrolet really screwed the pooch on options on the new Cruze. You have to get the $1995 Sun and Sound package to get the bigger 8" center screen and the color Driver Information Center display. Stupid - just plain stupid. Cars.com and Motorweek picked it 8th out of 8 in a recent comparison test for sub $23K sedans. The LT model tested was one of the cheapest MSRP's and was missing the $595 Safety package which even with it, it would have been well under the $23K. Those lost 100 points were the difference between 8th and 3rd. You think GM would have a real person parceling out cars to testers in the press and fix this stupidity. The good news in that comparison was that the Cruze with the 1.4T gas engine was tops in mpg at 38.3 mpg and even beat their beloved Civic by 1.1 mpg. It also was the quickest car in the test and the front seat comfort easily beat the Civic. End result of all the information in the review is that the Cruze is as good as you option it and needs to spend some time in finishing school to sort out the wierd interior materials and make the handling more premium (hello Z-link).

I had a first generation Cruze diesel which was a great car when it was not in the shop for check engine lights and which averaged 36.8 mpg in 33K miles of use. I hope the CE lights don't plague this generation and that the diesel becomes a bigger part of the sales picture.
    Current Driveway Fleet:
    2016 Malibu Hybrid
    2013 Sonic LTZ HB
    2008 Colorado CrewCab Z71 2WD
    2003 Porsche Boxster S (sunny days and track events)
    May 2014 to June 2016 - Cruze Diesel - 36.8 mpg over 33K miles with best tank of 50.2 mpg
    April 2012 to May 2014 - Chevy Volt - 3 tanks of gas in 12.2K miles.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 eaton53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 1,019 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbee60 View Post
    I had a first generation Cruze diesel which was a great car when it was not in the shop for check engine lights and which averaged 36.8 mpg in 33K miles of use. I hope the CE lights don't plague this generation and that the diesel becomes a bigger part of the sales picture.
    Did you have an early one? They did a lot of fiddling with the emissions sensors and such... so far so good for me.
    But I have one of the very last ones.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.
    2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Sport Spyder

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 2,315 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

The Chevrolet’s numbers, then, leave no doubt that it’s capable of taking the diesel baton from Volkswagen. Unfortunately, the Cruze does a less convincing VW impression in other regards. It offers a commendable ride-and-handling balance, but it lacks the precisely tuned damping, sharp on-center steering feel, and overall solidity that make VW Golfs and Jettas so satisfying to drive.
    But perhaps it was that sporty handling that kept N.A. sales low (and crappy quality)...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Vette Cruze 2015 Colorado

Car and Driver will never say a Chevrolet's quality is as good or better than any German cars. They couldn't write only praise and had to add some negatives or they could lose their sponsorship.
    JD Power has Chevrolet nearly at the top of the list for quality......higher than Honda.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al465 For This Useful Post:

Dheart (05-09-2017),mbukukanyau (05-09-2017),rand49er (05-15-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 631 Posts

That middle of the pack crack won't help.
    Watts Link, a defeat switch for Stop/Start, lumbar adjustment for driver's seat, realistic pricing = no longer middle of the pack.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,202 Times in 2,282 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Maz6 Touring; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    But perhaps it was that sporty handling that kept N.A. sales low (and crappy quality)...
    Good observation. I blinked and moved on when I read this:

it lacks the precisely tuned damping, sharp on-center steering feel, and overall solidity that make VW Golfs and Jettas so satisfying to drive. The Chevy’s cabin, though vastly improved over GM small-car interiors of yore, also lags behind VW’s impeccable interior quality.

I test-drove a Golf along with about a dozen other cars during The Search. It was unremarkable except the dashboard was an emotionless bore, IIRC the hand brake needed a jacket, and it was oddly sensitive to crosswinds. I wonder if the CD staff gets a package from Germany every month or two, Golfagra little blue pills.

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    Car and Driver will never say a Chevrolet's quality is as good or better than any German cars. They couldn't write only praise and had to add some negatives or they could lose their sponsorship.
    JD Power has Chevrolet nearly at the top of the list for quality......higher than Honda.

You hush now!
    17 Maz6

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me. Alice Roosevelt Longworth
    It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. H. L. Mencken
    I failed to make the chess team because of my height. Woody Allen

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (05-08-2017),mbukukanyau (05-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 2,315 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Good observation. I blinked and moved on when I read this:

it lacks the precisely tuned damping, sharp on-center steering feel, and overall solidity that make VW Golfs and Jettas so satisfying to drive. The Chevy’s cabin, though vastly improved over GM small-car interiors of yore, also lags behind VW’s impeccable interior quality.

I test-drove a Golf along with about a dozen other cars during The Search. It was unremarkable except the dashboard was an emotionless bore, IIRC the hand brake needed a jacket, and it was oddly sensitive to crosswinds. I wonder if the CD staff gets a package from Germany every month or two, Golfagra little blue pills.

You hush now!
    I have never seen the allure of VW's, they never seem like they are finished. Almost like they are held back at 95% and you need to step up to an Audi for a completed product. Interior in particular, just like you said.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    Did you have an early one? They did a lot of fiddling with the emissions sensors and such... so far so good for me.
    But I have one of the very last ones.
    Mine was VIN 1G1P75SZ5E7101111 built in the early fall 2013 as a 2014 model, but not bought by me until May 2014. I wanted the safety packages which were rarely added to the model and my dealer got a 3 month build window for an order with them, so they found my car at another dealer. It was fine for the first 7K miles then had problems in all three emissions areas, Nox, DEF process, and particulate trap. A software reflash in October 2015 seemed to fix the issues, but after seven repair visits and 2.5 months out of service in the first 14 months of ownership, they agreed to buy the car back, so whether it worked is a good question as the car went back to GM Engineering to be torn down and studied.
    Current Driveway Fleet:
    2016 Malibu Hybrid
    2013 Sonic LTZ HB
    2008 Colorado CrewCab Z71 2WD
    2003 Porsche Boxster S (sunny days and track events)
    May 2014 to June 2016 - Cruze Diesel - 36.8 mpg over 33K miles with best tank of 50.2 mpg
    April 2012 to May 2014 - Chevy Volt - 3 tanks of gas in 12.2K miles.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I have never seen the allure of VW's, they never seem like they are finished. Almost like they are held back at 95% and you need to step up to an Audi for a completed product. Interior in particular, just like you said.
    If VW Golf interior quality rates 95%, Chevy Cruze is at 70%. Cruze's interior fit and finish evinces nothing awful, but nothing particularly good either.

I like the simple, hassle free controls in both cars - with none of the quirkiness that you find in certain BMW cars like the F30.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

jry
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

Take your big buy back check and go score a deal on one of those new 2015 VW diesels.... You liked it then, you'll love it now that it's thousands cheaper.
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jry For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-08-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Last time I was in a VW I too just wasn't impressed, though it was a Golf GTI.... it had some soft touch materials but it also had some hard plastics (depends on where you touch). So really in that regard it is no different then the Chevy Cruze so I don't know why they are complaining.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Even if the diesel engine doesn't make Chevy Cruze significantly better overall, it does provide customers with a unique offering in the U.S. market compact sedan segment. As with the 2018 Chevy Equinox Diesel, this may attract customers who otherwise would have dismissed Chevrolet vehicles.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,202 Times in 2,282 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Maz6 Touring; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Even if the diesel engine doesn't make Chevy Cruze significantly better overall, it does provide customers with a unique offering in the U.S. market compact sedan segment. As with the 2018 Chevy Equinox Diesel, this may attract customers who otherwise would have dismissed Chevrolet vehicles.
    Why would ANYONE dismiss Chibby vehicles? Haven't you seen those cool ads?
    17 Maz6

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me. Alice Roosevelt Longworth
    It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. H. L. Mencken
    I failed to make the chess team because of my height. Woody Allen

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

steve333 (05-23-2017)

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information