GM Inside News Forum banner

2017 Camaro ZL1 Beats Previous Generation’s Nürburgring Lap Time

6K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  jpd80 
#1 ·

Wow.

Lapping the Nürburgring Nordschleife in a blistering 7:29.60, the new 2017 Camaro ZL1’s lap time at the world’s most challenging track is 11.67 seconds quicker than the previous ZL1’s fast lap.

#15 ·
Always wondered why the new Z06 times were never revealed, its either stupid fast to the point they felt no one would believe the time it laid,
Highly unlikely
or it overheated and they could not get a decent lap done in the allotted time.
I think even GM could manage to prepare one Corvette to make couple of fast laps without overheating.

One of the possibility is that time was not as good as GM expected...or..maybe they won't tell the time because they are not sure mid-engine Vette will be able to break it in first couple of years.

#18 · (Edited)
On most of the race track Porsche 918 is quicker than any Corvette. In most cases it is the fastest car on a track.
In 2013 (long time ago:D) Porsche 918 (Weissach Package) set time of 6:57. Only Radical cars are faster. Lamborghini is 2.x slower (it is below 7 min mark). I'm sure if GM has put Corvette anywhere near that time they would published it. Maybe they are waiting for who knows what..

Nothing political here. Ferrari can't do anything about other manufacturers publishing their times on the Nurburgring.

#28 ·
It's crazy how well planted that car is. It was a easy drive for him.

#35 ·
The Camaro ZL1 does not have 640 HP. It has 650hp.

#42 ·
Some misconceptions to clear up:
-to my knowledge the GT500 has not been announced as a thing. It's still miles out, if it is out there at all.
-the GT350R does indeed have borderline race rubber.
-the ZL1 does not.
-comparing "atmo" cars to blown ones only works in race series. The reality is that Chevy's total-package ponycar costs roughly the same as the Shelby. It weighs a shade more, it has similar weight distribution, and the aforementioned non-gumball rubber.
-and it beat the Shelby around the Nurburgring with the shifter remaining firmly in Drive.

#43 · (Edited)
Some misconceptions to clear up:
-to my knowledge the GT500 has not been announced as a thing. It's still miles out, if it is out there at all.
-the GT350R does indeed have borderline race rubber.
-the ZL1 does not.
OK so the improvement over the 1LE will be all due to extra horsepower and torque,
Imagine what it would do with the GT350R's lighter wheels and better tires and
you'll see what the GT500 will bring.

-comparing "atmo" cars to blown ones only works in race series. The reality is that Chevy's total-package ponycar costs roughly the same as the Shelby. It weighs a shade more, it has similar weight distribution, and the aforementioned non-gumball rubber.
Yes it does win but the GT350R is not the ultimate Shelby,
you may be quite surprised at what Ford is cooking up....
It's like when you told us to wait and see what the ZL1 brings..

When it comes to price, the ZL1 wins hands down
but is GM leaving a lot of money on the table?

#45 ·
There is a new rule, you can't counter with a product that has not been announced and no one has any information about......

for all we know the next ZL1 will have a LT1 based V-12 engine (they have worked on such engine in the past)..... just you wait and see what comes out there.

The ZL1 and GT350 as well as the GT350R are not direct competitors, Ford doesn't yet have a competitor to the ZL1 Camaro. Just like GM doesn't have a competitor to the GT350R as of yet, in fact the GT350R doesn't have a current cross town rival. The ZL1 Camaro was able to beat an unofficial lap time by a GT350R that was run on a different day and by a different driver. If I wanted a hard core track car right now I would buy the GT350R, however if I wanted a really fast GT car then I would go with a ZL1 (not sure if it would have the 6 speed or 10 speed).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.