GM Inside News Forum banner

2016 Chevrolet Spark Tested: It Rules the $15K Club

7K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  SierraGS 
#1 ·
2016 Chevrolet Spark CVT Automatic
A whole lotta good for not a lot of money.
Car and Driver
By K.C. Colwell
Jun 2016

With a starting price of $13,535, the Chevrolet Spark leaves no doubt about what it’s intended to be: affordable transportation. Together with the 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback and Mirage G4 sedan and the Nissan Versa sedan, it’s one of just four U.S.-market new cars that start under $15,000 with destination charge included, which puts the Spark in the rare position of needing to be just slightly better than crappy to earn the “best in class” title.

Instead of aiming for the very low bar set by its competition, Chevrolet actually overshot the market by a good margin. Redesigned for 2016, the Spark is better than its predecessor in almost every way.
*Full Article at Link

See less See more
#2 ·
Why do people still think cars in this class are crap? A few years ago I purchased a 12K Kia Rio5 new as a daily driver. It was a really nice little car. I kept it for a year then upgraded but it served it's purpose so that I did not have to depend on my classic car or older truck.

Reactions: mbukukanyau
#11 ·
The revised front end is a radical improvement.
The new spark is about as classy as a car in this segment is going to get on exterior styling
They are a nice little car and the new styling does wonders for it I think, just like the new nose on the '17 Trax being shown on the Chevy site. They are a welcomed improvement IMO.

#10 ·
Does it seem odd to anyone else that they make a big deal of the $13,535 starting price and talk about cars under $15,000 and then test a $18,335 car? If you're going to brag about a sub $15,000 car segment, then test a sub $15,000 car. If you're going to spend $18,335 for a car, there are better choices for that price or less in slightly larger cars.

#12 ·
Though it is nice to see articles like this where GM got the benefit of the higher end model. How many car comparisons have we seen over the year where the GM entrant is the $25k model (in a $25k comparison), but the competition all had models that were more costly and therefore better equipped? But of course the car mags would always say "when rating the cars we ignored the additional options and fairly compared to the lesser priced/equipped GM model".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.