GM Inside News Forum banner

2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z07 Spy Photos

11K views 44 replies 35 participants last post by  DenaliHD66 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Car and Driver
August 2013
by Don Sherman

What It Is: A heavily camouflaged seventh-generation Chevrolet Corvette that we believe to be the next generation of Z06 high-performance models, which will be called Z07. The Corvette has used such an RPO three times in the past—first as an off-road suspension and brake package from 1973–1975; then in 1991–1995 to designate an adjustable-suspension package; and again from 2011–2013 as a package that included magnetic selective ride control, stickier rubber, lighter wheels, aero updates, beefed up cooling, and Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes—and, considering the publicity the seventh generation of Corvette has going for it, the “Z07” moniker would make some sense. It’s also the next Vette in the hopper, after the convertible and targa models start rolling off production lines.

Powertrain: The GM small-block V-8 has demonstrated convincing signs of immortality. Even though pushrods still open just two valves per cylinder, the addition of direct injection, variable cam timing, and new combustion chambers gives this stalwart one more lease on life in the General’s fast lane. Expect this tenet of GM performance to continue as the basis for the Z07.

Cadillac’s enthusiastic shift from supercharging to single- or twin turbos for its performance cars convinces us that Chevrolet will follow the same course for the Corvette. In light of GM’s ever-more-stringent fuel-economy obligations, we’re expecting the Z07 to produce 600 horsepower from significantly less than 6.2 liters of displacement. It may be no coincidence that Cadillac touted a 500-hp, 4.5-liter twin-turbo V-8 in its recently unveiled Elmiraj concept coupe. Air-to-liquid heat exchangers will handle cooling duties for the compressed intake air.

Full article at link.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z07

Can't wait to find out what the specs are for the Z07. If its the Z06 replacement, I don't think it will be forced induction as the article suggests. I expect it to be a lightweight
track car, comparable to what Chevy did for the Z28 Camaro. Lighten it up by a 150 lbs., upgrade to the spool valve shocks, add a splitter for some downforce, boost the HP
by about 75 and it would be a killer track car.

#4 ·
Re: 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z07

Can't wait to find out what the specs are for the Z07. If its the Z06 replacement, I don't think it will be forced induction as the article suggests. I expect it to be a lightweight
track car, comparable to what Chevy did for the Z28 Camaro. Lighten it up by a 150 lbs., upgrade to the spool valve shocks, add a splitter for some downforce, boost the HP
by about 75 and it would be a killer track car.
I would thing so. C&D is expecting a $24k price increase!

#19 ·
I remember test driving a C4 Z07 when my pop was looking for a track car - was the adjustable shocks with Z51, BRUTAL ride...

I'd have to agree though, I like the line-up now - base engine coupe/convertible, a hopped-up performance car, and a top of the line / over the top high HP halo car.

ALSO, don't forget that Tadge Juechter had been quoted by C&D that the LT-1 can easily be blown, AND HANDLE MORE DISPLACEMENT... I shudder at the thought of a C7 with a bit more rubber, 150 lbs less weight, and a 550 hp 427 under the hood... WOW.

#8 ·
If it is a V Sport, it won't have push rods, so you can forget about their 4.5 TT theory. Most likely it will be a forced induction push rod engine of at least 6.2 liters with cylinder management and 700 HP. I say 700 HP because they'll want to charge over 100k, so it will need to be comparable to the super exotics. The more they can charge, the greater the profit margin.

#16 ·
I guess GM forgot to name the C5 Z the Z05. :fall: The Z07 moniker is a package, not a model, so no, it won't be called the Z07.

It will be interesting to see how GM handles the motor. It's going to need over 600 hp when you consider the competition is already there. I doubt the Z06 is going to make that kind of NA power by lowering the displacement below 6.2L. If anything, they'll need to increase it. Not to mention, Tadge said turbos won't fit the packaging so if FI is going to happen, it's going with a blower.

I'd love to see the Z06 remain NA but it will be right at the limits if it happens and I just don't see that happening. I'm expecting a blown 6.2 right around ZR1 territory.

#17 ·
I'm guessing its an old prototype stingray and not the purported "Z07" as C&D (AKA Car & Imports) makes it out to be. The pics look like they were taken from an extreme distance and nothing is sticking out in particular that screams Z07. Also many automakers have a habit of running old prototypes after development is over. So unless the photogs get closer and spot a feature or hint that its something spicer, not gonna think much of this

#21 ·
The next Corvette Z06/Z07/ZR1 will need to compete with other supercars if they want to be sucessful in this class. Cars like the La ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini and other exotics. Corvette Z06/Z07 will need to push 600-700HP and ZR1 700-800HP, Then I would say Corvette's in the game and can compete with exotic supercars at a bargin price. This would eat into Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini and others sales.

#27 ·
LaFerrari, Porsche, Lambo and other exotics are all mid/rear engine cars. All those cars handle extremely better than ANY front engine car. Corvette has been getting into the game since the C5 Z06, the C6 was a HUGE step in the right direction. The Stingray will take time but i really dont see it going backwards. what ever GM decides to call their Halo C7, to LaFerrari will never happen. The chassis of either car is completly different. A Porsche yes, Lambo, GM best be laying out some good stuff or start developing a mid engine Vette. If GM really wants to make a Halo car that can take sales bite out of McLarean, Ferrari, Lambo, then they need to bring the right weapons to the track. Front Engine/RWD cars are good, but Mid Engine RWD/AWD are still better. Also if GM could develope the chassis to have AWD, this would just make it plain unbeatable in a straight line and at the track. If 2 wheels is good 4wheels driving is Better.

Why do you think my 91 GMC Syclone with a weak 290HP and 380pound of torque can still project me to 60 in 5 seconds?!

#33 ·
My point is that the M3 coupe had a lot of heritage and even with that BMW decided to change it so it wouldn't surprise me if GM change the name of the Z06 to Z07.
Keep the Z06 moniker!
GM is not exactly known for its love of its names. There almost seems to be an internal competition of how many cars one can rename. The Z06 brand has incredible equity up there with the Porsche GT3. Why they would ditch it is beyond me.

#26 ·
Whats with the ragging on Pushrods still? Chevrolet is the lower end of GM Caddy is the upper end. meaning more "state of the art" tech like DOHC for GM. The Vette might but now for a while. As long as GM can keep figuring out how to make old reliable more efficient they will. This is also how GM can make a 600+ HP monster at the low end of 100k$

Car and Driver
August 2013
by Don Sherman

Powertrain: The GM small-block V-8 has demonstrated convincing signs of immortality. Even though pushrods still open just two valves per cylinder, the addition of direct injection, variable cam timing, and new combustion chambers gives this stalwart one more lease on life in the General’s fast lane. Expect this tenet of GM performance to continue as the basis for the Z07.

Cadillac’s enthusiastic shift from supercharging to single- or twin turbos for its performance cars convinces us that Chevrolet will follow the same course for the Corvette. In light of GM’s ever-more-stringent fuel-economy obligations,

Full article at link.

#28 ·
I don't see 600 hp... I'm thinking more along the lines of 525-550.

#31 ·
As much as I love the LS7 and want a successor to it. The Z07 has to be a high revving track car. It can't display the same engine that the Z51 or ZR1 has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.