GM Inside News Forum banner

2015 Chevy Cruze May Get Lower Price - Dealer Speaks Of New "Price Point" At Intro

9K views 71 replies 41 participants last post by  Ed753 
#1 ·
2015 Chevy Cruze May Get Lower Price - Dealer Speaks Of New "Price Point" At Intro

Vindy.com

September 26, 2014

Image Credit: General Motors

This video interview shows the new (MCE) Chevrolet Cruze.

Note the comments from Chevy dealer representative Greg Greenwood who speaks about a new Cruze "price point". Now there is no way to infer exactly what this means, but remember that GM set a new price point with the Chevy Malibu recently to put the vehicle on the radar of more internet buyers searching by price.

It is certainly possible, but obviously not confirmed that GM is taking the same route here with the Cruze.

Take a look:

http://www.vindy.com/videos/2014/sep/26/3258/

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 2015 Chevy Cruze May Get Lower Price - Dealer Speaks Of New "Price Point" At Intr

It is certainly possible, but obviously not confirmed that GM is taking the same route here with the Cruze.
Note that the Cruze has a current $2500 incentive (here in New York). It may certainly make sense to drop the price by $1000, and change the incentive.

It would open the market for additional sales in my opinion.

Also - That's a pretty nice refresh live and in person. I will admit to not being thrilled to what has been shown by Chevrolet thus far.

#3 ·
Re: 2015 Chevy Cruze May Get Lower Price - Dealer Speaks Of New "Price Point" At Intr

Are they going to strip down the base model to bare bones and then lower the price? They may pick up a few buyers who want stripped down cars but not many.

#7 ·

Are they going to strip down the base model to bare bones and then lower the price? They may pick up a few buyers who want stripped down cars but not many.
Not quite 'strip down', but several features have been deleted on the MY 2015 Cruze lineup overall:

• Only 5 exterior colors available for LS
  • Rear armrest no longer included on LS
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob no longer on 1LT and ECO
  • Carpeted front and rear floor mats no longer included on ECO manual
  • Keyless Access and Keyless start no longer available on 2LT and Diesel
  • Pioneer premium 9-speaker system no longer available on ECO
  • Front fog lamps no longer standard on LTZ

#5 ·

If true, how does that fit in/what is the impact to the two cars smaller than the Cruze (Spark and especially the Sonic)?
You can assume no change. Last year the Malibu incentive was $3000 on a higher list price. They lowered the price an average of $500, and what do you know - the current Malibu incentive is $2500.

Smoke and mirrors in the marketplace.

The important thing today is to get on the shopping list of the internet buyer.

#6 ·

GM did something like this in the mid-late 1990s. They made anti-lock brakes optional on a lot of cars that had it standard, so they could lower the MSRP. Then charge $800.00 for ABS. Needless to say that little stint backfired on them.

#29 ·

GM did something like this in the mid-late 1990s. They made anti-lock brakes optional on a lot of cars that had it standard, so they could lower the MSRP. Then charge $800.00 for ABS. Needless to say that little stint backfired on them.
Can't say I blame them, IMO GM never got much credit for being first to make ABS standard on even entry-level models.

#37 ·

GM-the King of De-contenting
They seriously deserve to lose sales. New CEO same as the old CEO.
Incompetent
Not only are they losing sales, they are losing customers. Overall sales may be strong on paper, but when you look at market share, there are more people defecting from GM. Personally----I have purchased other brands than GM in the past, but mostly have stuck to GM. Now, we are mostly finding what we want for the price we want away from GM.

In our family the biggest test is my father though. Since the 1960's, he has pretty much bought a new car every 2-3 years. I think 16 or 17 straight GM Cars. It really looks like his next car will be a Mazda or an Accord or a Chrysler 200. He has owned 4 or 5 Impalas/Luminas in a row---but he doesn't like the Malibu at all and said there is no way he is paying as much for an Impala as they are asking. He says its a nice car, but if he wanted a car for that much money, he'd buy the Buick Lacrosse. It seems he too is finding 'more for less' with the competition.

#40 ·

Fogs not standard on LTZ? Really?? They can't lower the price enough for me to buy that horrible grille
That's because the LED DRLs are where the fogs used to be. I don't think you can get fogs anymore.

From what I know, the '15 is going to be tremendous value.

Reactions: SRFCTY
#15 ·

OK, calm down people.............

I can't speak to the "contenting" or "de-contenting" on a 2104 vs. 2105, but prices are marginally changed:

Looks like most low-end models are up about $200, the 2LT is up about $700 and the LTZ about $500.

#21 ·

I can't speak to the "contenting" or "de-contenting" on a 2104 vs. 2105, but prices are marginally changed:

Looks like most low-end models are up about $200, the 2LT is up about $700 and the LTZ about $500.
Soooooo.... the title is the exact opposite of whats happening??

#16 ·

What's disappointing to me is them axing the 2LT manual, which is what I own, and the only Cruze I wanted at the time.

#20 ·

Why lower the price?
They are already selling well and have a low field supply.
Prices aren't going down.

#24 ·

The Focus is getting a new front end that actually looks good.
Subaru made some improvements to the Impreza.
The competition isn't sitting still and the Cruze hasn't been improved.
Exactly. Maybe the "price" is to help the thing because it sorta got ugly. As for de-contenting, it sucks and I keep thinking "Damn the bailout", they should've been made to tough it out and quit doing stupid stuff. It seems to me that so far no lessons have been learned yet. To me, something they shouldn't be doing is de-contenting in any form unless the things taken out are not moving, especially after an ugly face lift and in a product's last year. The new one is not far away and buyers may hold out for it instead just because of what they've done to the 2015. There, rant over. :( :mad:

#19 ·

The 2015 sales are already expected to be down IIRC.
It has been announced that there are going to be a few down weeks for production in the next 12 months for installation of new equipment for the next gen car. So I'd be surprised if they try and gain market share with the '15 model.

#56 ·

So I'd be surprised if they try and gain market share with the '15 model.
If people buy enough of them they'll gain market share. I don't believe for a second that this is something they're planning or not planning.

#31 ·

That's what Chevrolet gets for building a so called "premium" compact! No Chevy should be borne as a premium product from the get go. Sure offer near premium option packages in the models lineup but a less expensive base Cruze would have been a better plan then a premium product from birth for Chevrolet! Let Buick offer the Premium Compact with a base model at the mid range of the Chevy version in Luxury!

#55 ·

Completely ruined the car with that new front end!
LOL no doubt - with a butter face like this, they'll have to discount it. Bigggggg mistake unleashing that mess of front end. Much like the Malibu refresh, the front wasn't the biggest issue to address on the car.

#34 ·

This actually makes a lot of sense. Nissan Sentra sales have been surging recently -- probably because its a pretty big car in the class (like the Cruze), comes standard with air conditioning and starts at only $15,999. Cruze has been getting some pretty large incentives to try to keep up -- but the current base MSRP on the Cruze (is pretty high considering other compacts) is probably keeping some buyers out of the showroom.

#39 ·

Another example of decontenting, removing HD from the radios on 2015 Vettes, my 2014 Vette has it and it's been removed from the 2015.
Good riddance. HD Radio is stupid - the end-user experience with it stinks, it's plagued with technical problems, and consumer awareness of the technology actually declined from 2008 to 2012 despite a significant increase in OE and aftermarket products that support HD Radio.

iBiquity is delusional if it thinks the current business model for HD Radio, with its exorbitant royalties and licensing fees coupled with an almost complete lack of benefit for consumers, is sustainable long term.

#42 ·

FWIW Our 2013 Cruze LS manual has been one of the best cars we've ever bought so far. Absolutely 0 problems. Granted it's got 21,000 miles which isn't a ton.

Reactions: SRFCTY
#43 ·

Is this more like "foot in the door pricing" that can be pushed up with bundled option packages?
If so it could be a clever way of reaching a lot of customers using recent sales data to drive
sales in the right direction.

I'm open to this idea provided that it's used as a way of encouraging buyers to value add to
their vehicles and not just take the de-contented basic..

#44 ·

Is this more like "foot in the door pricing" that can be pushed up with bundled option packages?
If so it could be a clever way of reaching a lot of customers using recent sales data to drive
sales in the right direction.

I'm open to this idea provided that it's used as a way of encouraging buyers to value add to
their vehicles and not just take the de-contented basic..
and as long is OLD GM/FORD practices do NOT show up where you have to pay for 7K of OPTIONS to Get ONE popular option as I believe that drives a LOT of buyers away

#45 ·

We are looking for a new car now, and are going to look at compacts in the next few days. I will look at what is available as far as the Cruze goes on the lot...but buying a GM product is no longer an automatic choice for us like it used to be. Like so many others, we are finding more value-for-the-money with other brands where we used to feel we got that with GM.

#57 ·

We are looking for a new car now, and are going to look at compacts in the next few days. I will look at what is available as far as the Cruze goes on the lot...but buying a GM product is no longer an automatic choice for us like it used to be. Like so many others, we are finding more value-for-the-money with other brands where we used to feel we got that with GM.
You can get a brand new 2014 Cruze LS automatic for $15,000 at many dealerships. It's the VALUE of the century for such a large compact, huge trunk, quiet ride, and great gas mileage. I know a lot of people on here will say the 1.8L is weak, and that's true. I own one. BUT - it's very smooth, and is willing to rev. If you like stick shifts, take the manual version out for a test drive and you might be surprised with the smoothness and shift feel which make it fun to drive.

Good luck!

Reactions: dannyg
#51 ·

2LT and the Diesel never came with the smart key fob and push button start in NA. Not sure why that was listed as an option being deleted when it never existed to begin with.
Not sure about the diesel, but the smart key fob and push button was available on the 2LT. I know because I have a 2013 2LT RS with push button start. It was part of what I think was called the technology package, although I could be wrong on the name of that package.

#59 ·

Perhaps this means there will be two compact vehicles in Cheverlot guise. I am asssuming that a rwd alpha based four door coupe and two door will enter at just a bit higher price point. The luxury brands want to play in economy segments what better way than to use a rwd car in both Chevy and Cady guise to cover the 26k to 35k range. This way you get the volume Chevy and not neuter the Cadillac brand with a smaller than ATS FWD entry model. Would make sense even now that the Cruze has been pushed back. They said they were going to expand the lineup. I smell something cooking baby.

#62 ·

With that new 1998 Daewoo front grill, they won't have to worry about selling many '15 Cruzes - and gave themselves "room for improvement" on the '16s. Someone should be fired for turning what used to be the best (or at least a very good) looking compact car into a 1990s Daewoo knock-off.

#63 ·

As usual GM "fixed" what didn't need fixing on the Cruze refresh. The same lackluster noisy underpowered engines remain. The same cramped back seat, now without even a rear armrest on the LS model that it always had before. Notice that they also omitted the glovebox light and one rear seat map pocket since this model debuted! The redesigned front grille was unnecessary and putting the useless LED strips on the LTZ is just following the heard and putting more green backs in GM wallet. What really needing fixing was ignored- rear seat legroom, badly needed engine upgrades, increased MPG and added features on lowered end models not less! For example why is a feature that was offered on a 1980 Chevy Citation base model (cruise control) not available on any 2011-2015 Cruse LS cars for NA? Why would you removed the leather wheel from the upper trim LT and Eco, which cost well over 20K with automatic transmission?
Also this car's seats need improvement and the dinky center console is a useless joke for storing anything other than a couple packs of cigarettes.

This and many other reasons are why GM is losing sales and market share time and time again. There is no consistency. They introduce a product and get it mostly right then half way through start with the de-contenting or changing things that didn't need changing and worse let that product go unchanged for up to 7 years or longer. Perfect examples being the Sonic which started off with alloy wheels on all models and then changing over to cheap plastic hubcaps or the Cruze losing one rear map pocket, the glovebox light, the center dash storage on certain models and now fog lamps on LTZ, keyless start on 2LT as an option and rear armrest on LS. And we still have the same engines 5 years later. Then there is the Equinox that uses an older 2.4 engine with the lighter less costly Malibu getting the more powerful better MPG 2.5. Or how about the W-body Impala going 6 years before updating the power train and 9 years on the same body and interior.

#64 ·

As usual GM "fixed" what didn't need fixing on the Cruze refresh. The same lackluster noisy underpowered engines remain. The same cramped back seat, now without even a rear armrest on the LS model that it always had before. Notice that they also omitted the glovebox light and one rear seat map pocket since this model debuted! The redesigned front grille was unnecessary and putting the useless LED strips on the LTZ is just following the heard and putting more green backs in GM wallet. What really needing fixing was ignored- rear seat legroom, badly needed engine upgrades, increased MPG and added features on lowered end models not less! For example why is a feature that was offered on a 1980 Chevy Citation base model (cruise control) not available on any 2011-2015 Cruse LS cars for NA? Why would you removed the leather wheel from the upper trim LT and Eco, which cost well over 20K with automatic transmission?
Also this car's seats need improvement and the dinky center console is a useless joke for storing anything other than a couple packs of cigarettes.

This and many other reasons are why GM is losing sales and market share time and time again. There is no consistency. They introduce a product and get it mostly right then half way through start with the de-contenting or changing things that didn't need changing and worse let that product go unchanged for up to 7 years or longer. Perfect examples being the Sonic which started off with alloy wheels on all models and then changing over to cheap plastic hubcaps or the Cruze losing one rear map pocket, the glovebox light, the center dash storage on certain models and now fog lamps on LTZ, keyless start on 2LT as an option and rear armrest on LS. And we still have the same engines 5 years later. Then there is the Equinox that uses an older 2.4 engine with the lighter less costly Malibu getting the more powerful better MPG 2.5. Or how about the W-body Impala going 6 years before updating the power train and 9 years on the same body and interior.
I think it's called "Spreadsheet Engineering." And I agree....whereas they used to install cheaply made (and well hidden components - just as door lock actuators) that fail months or years down the road as a means or reducing cost, now they just strip items right out of a car. I personally would never buy a $20k plus car that didn't have a leather wrapped steering wheel. Stupid. They're stepping over $100 bills to save a nickel

#65 · (Edited)

The Cruze has exactly the same rear seat leg room as the 1980 Citation. And the same as the current CTS sedan. The X bodies were lauded for their interior room and it was large enough inside to form the basis for the A Body intermediates with just slightly more rear leg room for the As.

Another element of the X Cars was the ability to pack 54" of shoulder room front and rear, intermediate size specs and something the Cruze also matches with the difference in the rear, compared to the Citation of 0.1 of an inch. 54" of shoulder room was a selling point for people down sizing from a large car or intermediate to an X.

35.4" of leg room and 53.9" of shoulder room is a respectable amount of rear seat packaging considering the Focus has 33.1 and the Fiesta 31 and small change.

180" for a compact car has been common with GM compacts for decades. That's not large: Corvair, Cobalt, 3rd Gen. Cavalier and aside from the Citation at 176", the X cars were 180". Corsica, 183, Chevy II, 182, 2nd Gen. Cavalier, 182.

The front end "refresh" hasn't done a thing to correct the awkwardness of the horizontal split grille theme Chevy has been using for years. It always looks like they're trying too hard to establish "brand identity" with a styling theme that looks forced or grafted on. Like a 61 DeSoto.

As for the "de-contenting": does everything have to be "premium" these days? Chevrolet's backbone has always been value. What is wrong with honest value from VL [if they offered it] to LTZ?

Personally I don't want a four wheeled vibrator or a rolling condo. Just give me a choice. As few or as many "features" as I want to pay for. A low price, reliability, value for money and at the very least an ignition switch that works and sway bar bushings that don't have to be replaced at 36,000 miles.

They did the same thing with the Cobalt. When my 99 Cavalier was totalled in Oct. 84 in a rear ender. I wanted to replace it with a Cobalt. The dealer had three or four. 2 colors available, all of them optioned up to 18.000. Row upon row of SUVs and trucks. I went to the Saturn dealer which had my choice of colors, options, body styles and prices [it okay not to say "price point" BTW. Please.]. Chevrolet lost a sale trying to pretend the Cobalt was a "premium" compact. Why? Because they really made an effort "this time" to get it right ? Or because they just decided it was so?

The compact car segment is still where price conscious shoppers go. And value buyers. Bargain hunters. People downsizing from larger cars looking for the same features they had in their bigger cars. A wide swath of potential customers to mine. And some, like me who think that less is more. AC and automatic at most. Crank windows are fine. Remote start, auto door locks and leather wrapped steering wheel, whatever. Someone else can choose that stuff. I'd even welcome a "console delete" option. At least give me the option of not having all that stuff larded on and a few stand alone options [like cruise control] for a "VL" base price and I'd be happy.

Of course they'd probably sell 0.1% of total production, but I can dream can't I? For me, simpler is still better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.