2014 Chevy Corvette: What People Are Saying

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Chevy Corvette: What People Are Saying

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

2014 Chevy Corvette: What People Are Saying

Automotive News

January 15, 2013

Article Quotes:

The new 'Vette: What people are saying:

"Despite being a target for attacks by industry enthusiasts, the Corvette continues to perform at the top of its segment with regards to residual values. A fresh design combined with Corvette's value oriented price point for the segment will continue to support strong residual values."

-- Eric Lyman, vice president of editorial at ALG

"The seventh generation Chevrolet Corvette ... a 450-horsepower high-tech American sports car that says as much about GM in the post-bankruptcy era as any financial spreadsheet or marketing campaign."

-- Joann Muller of Forbes.com

"The 2014 model will again have a pushrod V-8 engine in its nose, driving the rear wheels. That conservative approach might be seen as a timid compromise from a company that has just begun to get back on solid financial footing. But the front-engine, rear-drive layout has long defined the Corvette, and this car, like its C6 predecessor, may well show its taillights to cars with specs that more closely conform to what is considered state of the art. While automakers are quick to toss around the words "all new" to describe their latest offerings, however warmed over they might be, in this case the term is justified -- the 2014 Corvette shares only two parts with its predecessor ... The C7 Corvette's styling is in keeping with the brand's persona, yet it projects a more aggressive image than previous generations."

-- Paul Stenquist of The New York Times

"The Chevrolet Corvette is 60 years old this week, and that's a miracle. Many miracles, in fact. The iconic American sports car has survived a troubled birth, quality problems and development delays. it has overcome threats from recessions and regulations. And it has outlasted waffling by Chevy parent General Motors over whether such a car should exist at all. It appears, through all that, to have become younger than ever."

-- James R. Healey of USA Today

"If you really want to transform this company from just playing it kind of four-corner stall, as they say in basketball -- but go on offense, you are going to have to take some risks. It's a statement about American ingenuity -- it's about technology and, frankly, our risk-taking. This is the first car that was designed start to finish-post ... [The new Corvette] is a balanced risk … that speaks volumes about the brand and the company."

-- GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson, in The Detroit News
    "A lot is riding on this Corvette. I actually believe that they're going to get a bump in consideration across all models."

-- Alexander Edwards, president of San Diego-based consulting firm Strategic Vision's auto division

"The new Corvette manages to incorporate enough familiar design cues to satisfy the Corvette faithful while finding ways to evolve the design and give Chevrolet a chance at capturing buyers who might otherwise be considering more-expensive sports cars like the Nissan GT-R and Porsche 911."

-- Mike Hanley of cars.com

"The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left. Because the Impala, I love it, but I was there to supervise it. The Cadillac ATS, car of the year, I supervised that one, too. The Corvette I did not supervise. And what that tells me is that the philosophy of focusing on product excellence and spending more if necessary and the drive to be as perfect as you can possibly be and better than the other guys, that has survived my departure. And I was a little bit worried that it wouldn't ... that the company would slip back ... and I'm happy to see that hasn't happened."

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

"Corvette history is full of body and interior freshenings being passed off as new cars. Even the fifth and sixth-generation Corvettes share much more than a passing resemblance. But this seventh-gen Corvette (aka C7) shares just two parts with the outgoing car, while remaining true to the car's 21st-century persona. This is a new machine. The core formula remains unchanged, with wedge-like styling, beefy V8 up front driving the rear wheels, and two seats in a form-fitting cabin. However, it is sharpened at every corner. The C7 looks more modern, even ready to transform into an Autobot. The lines, vents, flares, and lights all give the car a more premium appearance."

-- Jeff Bartlett, in Consumer Reports

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Re: 2014 Chevy Corvette: What People Are Saying

Nice words from Mr. Lutz.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Camaro

I think that pretty much says it all. When you get past all of the nit picking over "that one thing" (You know what your's is) , to the sum of the engineers efforts , it's a magnificent car.
    Last edited by ne_one; 01-15-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

To hell with these guys, (minus Lutz) i'd like to hear what the people (besides from GMI) on the floor are saying. I guess I'll find out in February at The Canadian Autoshow in Toronto.
    CHEVROLET SILVERADO

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Has anyone been monitoring the forums to get the consensus from existing Corvette owners and prospective buyers?

Quote Originally Posted by Elvisuperman View Post
    To hell with these guys, (minus Lutz) i'd like to hear what the people (besides from GMI) on the floor are saying. I guess I'll find out in February at The Canadian Autoshow in Toronto.
    Assuming of course that the Corvette actually makes an appearance in Toronto.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by the_smurf2008 View Post
    I think that pretty much says it all. When you get past all of the nit picking over "that one thing" (You know what your's is) , to the sum of the engineers efforts , it's a magnificent car.
    I do think people in Stuttgart Porsche Headquaters must be worried for the 911. There is not much they can do with a Boxer 6 that the corvette cannot outflank with raw pawa.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

There was an article on yahoo about the vette and they said opinions were polarized, from people drooling over it to others calling it another Aztek (really?).
    I have a feeling some purists may not like some things about it like the rear end (which most detractors dislike) but I think the design will draw in new buyers and get a lot of attention for the brand, which is a good thing.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    There was an article on yahoo about the vette and they said opinions were polarized, from people drooling over it to others calling it another Aztek (really?).
    I have a feeling some purists may not like some things about it like the rear end (which most detractors dislike) but I think the design will draw in new buyers and get a lot of attention for the brand, which is a good thing.
    Yahoo is not exactly the type of place where there is objective coverage.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 StormHunter77's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone know if the new Corvette will be at the Philly auto show next week?

Thanks

I think the rear end is the only controversy. The overall car is gorgeous.

In the garage:
    2009 G8 GT
    1997 Firebird
    In the driveway:
    2013 Wrangler Unlimited
    2013 RAM 1500

Thanks

Old Corvette purists and young import freaks dont like the new C7. The purists especially C6 owners complain about the edgy styling, the rear treatment and the taillights which according to them should be round. The foreign exotic car snobs compare the C7 to a mish mash of Ferrari Viper and Camaro.

So here we have on one side Corvette purists who dont like the much needed change the new C7 Stingray represents, and on the other we have the snobs who see this new Corvette something completely different from what they are used to coming from GM stepping into exotic car turf, and they dont like it one bit.

Then we have opeople who rave about it and those who really like it except for one or two styling issues. Im guessing from the emotional responses the C7 Corvette designers has struck a chord in the automotive world which is the hall mark of a successful design. The C7 Corvette is just what the doctor ordered, it only gets better from here... GRAN SPORT Z06 ZR-1.
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS

This car reminds me of all the amazing Corvette concept cars over the years, except this is no mere concept. Looks amazing in dark grey, too..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    I do think people in Stuttgart Porsche Headquaters must be worried for the 911. There is not much they can do with a Boxer 6 that the corvette cannot outflank with raw pawa.
    It isn't just the raw power, its everything else about this C7......

With the C6 Corvette it would blow away the Porsche 911s performance wise in every metric except 0-60 (until the 991 came out). However they could also fall back on we have a better interior, and we offer a more involved driving experience (some what subjective). With this C7, looking at the interior and looking at the Porsche 911 interiors it really comes down to a difference of preference. Two great seat options with a solid back that is very rigid and if all of the talk of steering feel turn out good then people will run out of reasons to buy a 911 over a C7 Corvette.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

This new Corvette is everything a Corvette is supposed to be. It utilizes advanced design and technologies, doesn't cost a fortune (relatively speaking), and looks good in so doing. The team took a risk in making such a dramatic design, and I think it will pay off. The new interior looks great as well, and hopefully the optional race seats will force critics to find something real to complain about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    Yahoo is not exactly the type of place where there is objective coverage.
    They were pretty much culling quotes from other sites, but you're right yahoo generally sucks.
    All I know is that I thought the new vette looked cool but a little busy, then I went to Chevy's site to see what the current model looks like and it looks pretty boring.
    I'll take busy over boring. The new Model really stands out.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information