2014 Chevrolet Trax Review (AutoGuide)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Chevrolet Trax Review (AutoGuide)

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Its mid-December and were somewhere outside Ottawa, Canada on a barely traveled road. With snow falling, temperature dropping and wildlife frolicking, its almost certain that this trip is going to end with a mishap.

Our all-season tires could choose to not grip going up, or down one of the many hilly routes along the way or when a suicidal deer jumps onto the road. The AWD system could prove to be understeer happy, sending me into a ditch or tree. The unsalted path could choose to spring some ice under our wheels, sending the car careening into oncoming traffic. Or I could just get lost, with no built-in navigation system, or cell-service coverage in the area.

Fortunately for me, none of this happens and Chevrolets new compact SUV, the Trax, is largely to thank. With its pluckiness and sheer determination, the Trax managed to get me out of every situation, one way or another.

TRAX LEADS TO CANADA

The Trax is a small vehicle in many ways. Its small in price, starting at just $18,495 (CAN), which makes it more affordable than base models of the Nissan Juke, Hyundai Tucson and Kia Soul, although its not as inexpensive as the often-forgotten Suzuki SX4. When you start ticking the boxes like our 2LT equipped model, the price does get closer to its competition. Our vehicle was decked out with the automatic transmission and all-heel drive and came to $27,450. Overall value for the American vehicle is great.

Did that say American? Sorry, despite the Trax being sold to over 140 markets, it wont make the move to the United States, which is why were in Canada testing out the local vehicle. The decision makes sense, as American buyers tend to opt for bigger vehicles, and already have access to the Buick Encore a mechanically similar machines.

Canadians are often used to the out-of-city adventure. And for outdoor excursions ranging from snowboarding to camping a raised ground clearance or off-road capable drivetrain is preferred, as is storage space. Fortunately, the Trax acts like a good Canadian boy and scores well on all those points.

Continue Reading...
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'00 Ford Ranger

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Trax Review (AutoGuide)

I'm so conflicted over whether I want this in the states or not.

Proud to drive American. Proud to drive GM.
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    4.2L Vortec 4200 I-6
    Airaid CAI, Gibson Catback Performance Exhaust

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Did that say American? Sorry, despite the Trax being sold to over 140 markets, it wont make the move to the United States, which is why were in Canada testing out the local vehicle. The decision makes sense, as American buyers tend to opt for bigger vehicles, and already have access to the Buick Encore a mechanically similar machines.
    Nice review, but the above quote is beyond ridiculous...

Because they (Americans) already have access to the Encore (which, of course, we don't as of yet) we shouldn't get and GM shouldn't market the Trax... (The quote that Americans tend to opt for bigger vehicles as a reason not to sell the Trax here is actually more ridiculous, but we'll focus on the Encore part of it)
    Last time I checked, GM doesn't offer anything to replace the now defunct, but highly successful Pontiac Vibe or Chevrolet HHR. Though the Trax is not exactly like either of those vehicles, it's also not that far off...

As much as I love Buick, and though I think the Encore will be relatively successful, Chevrolet is GM's mainstream, bread and butter brand. The pricing of the Encore takes it out of the running of those who would want to replace their Vibe, HHR, PT Cruiser, Toyota Matrix, etc.... A more stripped down Chevrolet variant starting in the $18k-19k range would prove to be very popular, in my opinion... Not only that, but the Trax would greatly help GM raise its own fuel economy average rating, which they've been trying to do for more than a decade, and it would serve as another piece in GM's continuing struggle to fill more "small car" segments. GM could potentially sell more Trax models during 2 months in the States than it would through a year in Canada.

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

They won't bring it to the US because the next gen Nox is supposed to be smaller.

Thanks

The next-gen Equinox getting smaller should have no bearing on the availability of the Trax. A global next-gen Equinox (and Captiva) would be sold in the same markets along with the Trax, and even when it is smaller it won't be as small as. The Trax is comparable in length/width/wheelbase to a Sonic sedan (and both are Gamma-based), while the next Equinox (sharing with Delta platform) would be close to the Cruze in size depending how much they change the exterior size.

Honda will be bringing a Fit-based crossover to sell below the CR-V (a concept will be shown at Detroit soon, Nissan has the Juke below the Rogue, the Hyundai Tucson (which GM lists as a Trax competitor) is below the Santa Fe, etc.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Solid review overall. Too bad we won't get it, even if I do think that the Trax (and the Orlando) could be positioned/priced as to not cannibalize Equinox sales.

Despite being paired with a fairly unimpressive turbocharged 1.4-liter engine, the Trax manages to get all 138-hp and 148 lbs-ft of torque to the ground thanks to a clever AWD sleight-of-hand which always launches the car with all four wheels. This means that slip from a stop is non-existent, and AWD is active even in reverse.
    Impressive. Sounds like a nice way to get the most out of the AWD system. I wonder if they'd apply it to other models to give a similar "feel" to products?
    "La vita come un albero di Natale..c' sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyLac10 View Post
    They won't bring it to the US because the next gen Nox is supposed to be smaller.
    This is the size of a Vibe!!!!!! There is no way in hell that the Equinox will compete with this. None. Its a BS marketing excuse.

The Trax would easily sell in Vibe volume and bring in customers that want a hatchback vehicle. Just crazy that GM wont bring this here.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

The Orlando would be the better vehicle to bring here - a spirtual HHR successor, something the Trax is not.

With the Buick version hitting, we'll never see this here in NA.

Check out my blog at: http://automotiverenderings.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS
    You.......... You can go piss off too. [...] You wish you had my talent and ability. [...] I helped build this site to what it is [...] Who cares about your contributions, which are what?

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Buick Rendezvous /99 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    Nice review, but the above quote is beyond ridiculous...

Because they (Americans) already have access to the Encore (which, of course, we don't as of yet) we shouldn't get and GM shouldn't market the Trax... (The quote that Americans tend to opt for bigger vehicles as a reason not to sell the Trax here is actually more ridiculous, but we'll focus on the Encore part of it)
    Last time I checked, GM doesn't offer anything to replace the now defunct, but highly successful Pontiac Vibe or Chevrolet HHR. Though the Trax is not exactly like either of those vehicles, it's also not that far off...

As much as I love Buick, and though I think the Encore will be relatively successful, Chevrolet is GM's mainstream, bread and butter brand. The pricing of the Encore takes it out of the running of those who would want to replace their Vibe, HHR, PT Cruiser, Toyota Matrix, etc.... A more stripped down Chevrolet variant starting in the $18k-19k range would prove to be very popular, in my opinion... Not only that, but the Trax would greatly help GM raise its own fuel economy average rating, which they've been trying to do for more than a decade, and it would serve as another piece in GM's continuing struggle to fill more "small car" segments. GM could potentially sell more Trax models during 2 months in the States than it would through a year in Canada.

Totally agree.

The Encore is nice ,but too pricey as a replacement for the vehicles you mentioned. GM sold a lot of HHRs and Vibes, and don't forget the Chevy Trackers. They will be giving up a lot of customers, who want a similar replacement, to their competitors.

Hope GM eventually realizes this and lets the Trax into the US market.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post
    The Orlando would be the better vehicle to bring here - a spirtual HHR successor, something the Trax is not.

With the Buick version hitting, we'll never see this here in NA.
    You mean the US not NA. Canada is in NA.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

The author complains in the second paragraph about no built in nav but later write about the free nav app that can be downloaded which also means free updates. Why complain about the lack of old tech instead of highlighting the current innovation? Lazy writing.

Thanks

I totally agree with those here who say that the Trax would be a decent replacement for the Vibe, HHR, etc, here in the USA. And I also agree with the fact that the Buick Encore will be too highly priced for those who would otherwise be potential customers for the less expensive Trax. GM is missing the boat big time with this decision.

I am constantly at a loss as to the highly questionalble decision making that goes on at GM. While it looks like the decisions being made are more of a result of "paper-rocks-scissors" methodology rather than the use of I.Q., perhaps GM has some truely worthwhile, well-thought-out products just around the corner. One can only hope.
    "Common Practice Does Not Necessarily Mean Common Sense"

'09 Vue, '11 Malibu LTZ.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    I'm so conflicted over whether I want this in the states or not.
    This is a great little truck... I gained a lot more respect for it after seeing it around town and on dealer lots. This would be a great addition to the Chevrolet line-up in the States. Why it's not offered there is a mystery to me.
    CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I just saw a teaser pic of what might be the replacement for the Nissan Rogue...looks to be a stunner, including a cool D-pillar behind the glass. Makes this look quite bland by comparison.

Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Malibu LT2 V6

Meh - don't have any interest in this. Sounds like a real econo box, good for 20-something crowd.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information