2013 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Test Drive (Auto Minded)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Test Drive (Auto Minded)

Thanks

2013 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Test Drive (Auto Minded)

2013 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Test Drive
    Auto Minded
    January 4, 2013

So, before the diesel revolution hits the Chevrolet dealers, we went to Europe for a preview of the diesel Cruze. After a week with the car one clear theme has emerged: those who take control will be in charge of the diesel revolution. That means a manual transmission will help drivers get the most out of the engine. In the case of an automatic, like our tester, the manumatic function that allows for selecting the driving gear is more than just a novelty.

One of the better examples of this occurred while traveling on the highway at about 60 mph. At this pace, the diesel motor is in an economy mode and is not making enough revs for the turbo to instantly deliver passing power. Mashing the accelerator and forcing a transmission kickdown does not create the instant passing power gas-engine drivers are used to experiencing. So instead, the solution is using the manumatic function to drop down one extra gear, and raise the rpm above 1,800 before making a move. That’s when the little diesel rally comes to life.

Plus, currently across the U.S., diesel fuel is about $0.62 per gallon more expensive than gasoline. This means that someone who drives 20,000 highway miles per year in a Cruze Eco (averaging 39 mpg and $3.30 per gallon) will now have to average 46 mpg highway across the same distance in the Cruze diesel to break even on the fuel cost.

Full article at link.
    Last edited by ne_one; 01-04-2013 at 12:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

Re: Review: Chevy Cruze diesel

Bring it on.

13Soul 11 200 V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99Golf TDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege 92SHO 93Protege 92P50Taurus

"There are really no last, final campaigns. Each generation must renew and win again for itself, the precious gift of liberty, and the sacred heritage of freedom." Ronald Wilson Reagan

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Re: 2013 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Test Drive (Auto Minded)

Once again, its not about breaking even on fuel costs. Its having a frugal engine with more power in a usable fashion.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

What the hell is taking so long for this thing to hit our shores?

I understand that there are different regulations and standards that have to be met from country to country and continent to continent... but it feels like we've been waiting for this thing for like 3 years!? Oh wait, we have been!
    CHEVROLET SILVERADO

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I don't see how a diesel such as this one will succeed. After paying a premium to get the diesel engine, the fuel mileage increase is not enough to overcome the extra cost of diesel (not counting the probable cost of urea). Also, to get gas engine like performance when passing, the driver has to manually change gears. I don't think the typical driver will do it and will be unhappy with the performance.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I would like to see GM offer a Diesel in the lambdas too lol.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I don't see how a diesel such as this one will succeed. After paying a premium to get the diesel engine, the fuel mileage increase is not enough to overcome the extra cost of diesel (not counting the probable cost of urea). Also, to get gas engine like performance when passing, the driver has to manually change gears. I don't think the typical driver will do it and will be unhappy with the performance.
    With diesels, you dont just magically lose the difference in costs. In fact, VW TDI models hold their resale value far better than the gas models.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 VW Golf TDI

It's a small market over here so the quicker they get it over here the better. Don't wanna let any competitors to beat you to it *cough cough*

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

If the Cruze diesel gets 45+ mpg with either tranny its going to be on my list.
    "What about that "best all-around subcompact car" business? Yeah, we're gonna say it: The Chevy Sonic – manual or auto – is just that. You heard it, Fiesta fanatics"

-Inside line.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

They will sell maybe 100 of these.
    GM needs to ditch the 1.8L, make a larger engine standard in all Models, fix the antifreeze coolant smell issue in the 1.4T and make it DI and optional and then the 1.6T optional as well.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC G8Montana's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Pontiac G8GT 2009 Pacific Sl.

Once it gets here, dealer will have waiting lists.......mark my words. Oh and the dealer markup too....... :P
    New Aug-08 with 3 miles on ticker: 2009 Pontiac G8GT 54k miles
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 218k miles

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 SX Holden Captiva Diesel

Sounds like this guy doesnt drive very many Diesels
    She’s got four a colour, four a clear
    She’s lookin’ better year by year
    And unlike you tonight she’s riding low

So baby its goodbye
    You could never get me high
    Like when I light the nitro on my
    HQ454 Monroe

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    With diesels, you dont just magically lose the difference in costs. In fact, VW TDI models hold their resale value far better than the gas models.
    Expanding on that, with most diesels owners retain 50% to 100% of the original cost of the diesel option at resale time. One still has to finance it, though the net cost impact is better than what some try to represent..

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks

NFI.

Although the Cruze diesel is revvy for a diesel it still runs out of puff much past 4,000rpm, the fastest way to accelerate is still to let it shift for itself. The auto holds 4th at 30-40mph, 5th until 50mph for that reason. Because diesel is a low-calorific value fuel, revving it out is not the best way to make quick time. It produces grunt from nothing, and enough at just above idle to spin the Cruze' right front off the line in the dry - unlike the 1.4, the variable geometry turbo spools almost immediately.

At 60mph it's well and truly 'in the zone'. To someone used to petrol engines it might feel it's accelerating glacially slowly due toa slow increase in revs. If you time it with a stopwatch or just watch the speedo instead, you see it picks up speed much quicker than you perceive. Above 60mph is not the diesel's metier'. It is better in roll-ons at any speed up to there than the 1.4.

I think the diesel will win 0-20, 0-40 and 0-60 would be a close-run thing with the 1.4. Above that speed, the 1.4 would likely be faster and quicker.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 01-04-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks

Can't wait for this to hit our shores. It will make a nice addition to Chevy's lineup and allow them to boast about some pretty impressive MPG claims. It will also test mainstream acceptance of diesel sedans in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Do they hold value better relative to ATP rather than MSRP (that's true depreciation). Either way, I wonder if that's due to their relative rarity (only non-lux diesel product available) rather than than any intrinsic value. I'd imagine the presence of the Cruze diesel (which will be notably cheaper and more reliable than a VW) will exert downward pressure on the value of a used VW diesel.
    2013 Chevrolet Black Diamond Avalanche 6k | 1989 Cadillac Brougham 145k

Quote Originally Posted by yamahr1
    Hyundai has a knack for designing cars that look like they've already been in an accident.
    Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions!

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information