GM Inside News Forum banner

1975: Betamax - 2015: Chevy Video Ad Inside A Magazine. You Read That Right.

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  NoStopN 
#1 ·
Automotive News

April 16, 2015

Article Quotes:

Chevrolet has purchased a series of print ads to show off digital videos promoting the Colorado pickup.

The ads appear in the May issue of certain subscriber issues of Esquire and Popular Mechanics. And it allows readers to watch one of three short videos, which were created by Chevy's creative agency Commonwealth/McCann.

Some 10,000 subscribers each to Esquire and Popular Mechanics -- those considered likely Colorado buyers -- received copies with a video player embedded inside the print page.

"We had these awesome digital films that we created for the Colorado launch and we thought, why not ... put video in print," said Jill Mida, manager of Chevrolet truck advertising.

Chevy "leveraged all of Hearst's consumer data" to determine which 20,000 readers fit the profile of a Colorado buyer and should receive the ad, Mida said.

She wouldn't disclose how much the ad cost, but did say, "the unit is obviously expensive."

--------------------------------------------

Here is how the technology works:

See less See more
#2 ·
Chevrolet has purchased a series of print ads to show off digital videos promoting the Colorado pickup.
I will be honest. I had to read that line five times before I began to comprehend its meaning.

Money is no object when it comes to making sure the new Colorado is a hit. GM Marketing is cutting edge. A sign I hope, of good things to come.

So, anyone get one of these magazines yet?

#10 ·
I will be honest. I had to read that line five times before I began to comprehend its meaning.
Same here....

Definitely cool, tho ... tempted to get one of those magazines just to see it in person for myself.....

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"It seems to have a vague, haunting mass appeal" __ Incubus __ 'Drive'

#5 ·
People will take this issue to work and show co-workers. People will record video of this and put it up on YouTube. These will sell on Ebay to tech nerds. My point is, this will be seen by many more than the 20,000 original subscribers. Viral marketing from GM? I never thought I would live long enough to see the day GM marketing would do something THIS right.

#11 ·
Reminds me of when Microsoft three years ago sent out a complete Wifi T-Mobile access point embedded in a print publication to demonstrate Office 365 anywhere. The Mobile access point only worked for 30 days before the demo expired. It was pretty neat and got the point across.

GM Marketing is showing signs of life.....

Ken

#15 ·
I have similar sentiments.

While I think this is cool technology, and it might even pay off, I see it as a dinosaur industry (the print industry) trying a last ditch effort to stay relevant.

I stopped renewing print subscriptions several years ago and as they run out I renew digitally. And in case you think this is only a trend for the millennial generation, I'm 44 and my mother in-law just canceled her paper after she purchased an iPad (71 years old).

For the average consumer, I think print is well on it's way out.

#17 ·
What's even more interesting when talking of dead things, is the Moto X ad boasting about being assembled in USA. That plant is being (or has already been) shut down.

A dying industry advertising a now dead (or soon to be) manufacturing plant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.