SUV or Minivan (Kia Sorento vs Kia Carnival)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUV or Minivan (Kia Sorento vs Kia Carnival)

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

SUV or Minivan (Kia Sorento vs Kia Carnival)

Kia Sorento vs Kia Carnival Review #Piercebrosvan vs #KiaVanLyfe

13 December 2016

Mick McWilliams
    Australia Correspondent
    GMInsidenews.com

It’s a battle as old as… er, well ok, it’s not that old. How much practicality to do you need, and how much does an SUV deliver? Do you really need AWD? Do you really want to live with a diesel?

Do you even care? Do just want lots of space? Well while you’ve been thinking about that, I’ve driven three versions of the Kia Sorento and compared it to the left field option of the Kia Carnival.

Different products that go about family life in very different ways.

Choose your weapons!
    Who wins? Well a rental version that I drove in Melbourne but you need the context so watch the vid :-P

See more of these modern family haulers on Instagram:
    #PierceBrosVan
    #KiaVanLyfe

Music: Mixed by the masterful DJ Sneak I’m gonna make you mine [Joos Moog Mix] – Yeshua Murillo (Fabric 62)
    Get it at FabricLondon.com #savefabric! (actually it’s been saved but support it anyway) ;-)

Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

Re: SUV or Minivan (Kia Sorento vs Kia Carnival)

So who would swap their SUV for a minivan? Who has already?

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I have to start this comment with this statement because I know that you have some SUV only fans who will be hurt by this. However a large number (probably most people) who own an SUV would be much better served by a minivan. SUVs are suppose to have a certain type of utility in it which isn't needed for a vehicle that just needs to have space and be good to drive around town or on a highway. Yes I knew some people who did some out door type stuff often and for them a legitimate SUV makes a lot of sense, if you don't need to seat a number of people or have covered cargo then get a pickup truck instead.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillz View Post
    I have to start this comment with this statement because I know that you have some SUV only fans who will be hurt by this. However a large number (probably most people) who own an SUV would be much better served by a minivan. SUVs are suppose to have a certain type of utility in it which isn't needed for a vehicle that just needs to have space and be good to drive around town or on a highway. Yes I knew some people who did some out door type stuff often and for them a legitimate SUV makes a lot of sense, if you don't need to seat a number of people or have covered cargo then get a pickup truck instead.
    We had a compact CUV. When our second kid came around, we wanted something bigger that could carry the four of us plus a couple of grandparents. We sat in pretty much every 3-row CUV. The third rows all sucked compared to a minivan. We bought a Honda Odyssey and never looked back. The third row is legitimately comfortable for a reasonably sized adult. I could sit back there for a long time with no complaints.

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillz View Post
    However a large number (probably most people) who own an SUV would be much better served by a minivan.
    That's like saying everyone who owns a sports car will be much better served by a 4-door sedan. From a pure utility point of view, the statement is absolutely true, but not everyone is looking for utility alone.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I think car buyers are suckers and fall for products that remain the same but renamed. When I was growing up, the station wagon was a popular vehicle for families. I got my drivers license in an old 1955 Ford station wagon and had several over the years until the mini-van was introduced and station wagons were rejected as old fashioned. The mini-van was very popular for a long time but the popularity ended when SUVs became popular. Many people bought 2 wheel drive SUVs. People didn't need a 4 wheel drive but wanted the convenience of 3 seats they had in their old mini-vans. Other than public perception and looks, what is the difference between the rejected station wagon and a 2 wheel drive SUV? My 1972 Gran Torino station wagon had 3 seats like the modern SUV but the third seat faced backwards. The 3rd seat was easier to access because the Gran Torino had a 2 way tailgate (like the one the Honda Ridgeline "invented"). People still drive station wagons disguised as SUVs.

I have driven station wagons all my life and make no excuses. Just because my current station wagon is a Honda CRV doesn't mean it isn't a station wagon. My daughter would never admit her Toyota Highlander is also a station wagon.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 2,130 Posts
    My Ride
    15Soul+; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I think car buyers are suckers and fall for products that remain the same but renamed. When I was growing up, the station wagon was a popular vehicle for families. I got my drivers license in an old 1955 Ford station wagon and had several over the years until the mini-van was introduced and station wagons were rejected as old fashioned. The mini-van was very popular for a long time but the popularity ended when SUVs became popular. Many people bought 2 wheel drive SUVs. People didn't need a 4 wheel drive but wanted the convenience of 3 seats they had in their old mini-vans. Other than public perception and looks, what is the difference between the rejected station wagon and a 2 wheel drive SUV? My 1972 Gran Torino station wagon had 3 seats like the modern SUV but the third seat faced backwards. The 3rd seat was easier to access because the Gran Torino had a 2 way tailgate (like the one the Honda Ridgeline "invented"). People still drive station wagons disguised as SUVs.

I have driven station wagons all my life and make no excuses. Just because my current station wagon is a Honda CRV doesn't mean it isn't a station wagon. My daughter would never admit her Toyota Highlander is also a station wagon.
    That's werd. Wear did you grow up? I had to go to the DMV for my license!

Agree, though, all smartass comments aside, these critters are nothing but tall wagons. They're handier in a city because they're 10-30" shorter than a minivan. But a van, it's like a little limo to me.
    15 Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp
    "When they feel the heat, they see the light." --Ronald Wilson Reagan

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

mikmak (12-13-2016),rockyspaw (12-13-2016),UGAfan (12-14-2016)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 2,130 Posts
    My Ride
    15Soul+; 01 PT LTD

I'd like to watch the vid, Mik, but that primitive drum-beat seriously interferes with my eardrums and general sanity.

And as fine a lad as you may be, watching you drive and talk is BORE ING. Show me some road. Show me some dashboard.

I'll take your word, though, minivans have a Handy Factor that is unrivaled in their price range.
    15 Soul 13Charger 13Soul 11V6200 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp
    "When they feel the heat, they see the light." --Ronald Wilson Reagan

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

nothing beats dual sliding power doors for kids and their "stuff".... I'm a van man
    Hidden Content
    Check out my blog at: Hidden Content

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camaro_freak For This Useful Post:

mikmak (12-13-2016),Neanderthal (12-13-2016),UGAfan (12-14-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post
    nothing beats dual sliding power doors for kids and their "stuff".... I'm a van man
    Me too. Yes, it's a little embarrassing to drive a minivan but they do their job so well... The ride is luxuriously smooth. The seating position and view is sublime. The folding seats and cargo room are unbeatable and what else can you really put 8 people in comfortably?
    Hidden Content
    1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocket 88 For This Useful Post:

camaro_freak (12-13-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,269 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket 88 View Post
    Me too. Yes, it's a little embarrassing to drive a minivan but they do their job so well... The ride is luxuriously smooth. The seating position and view is sublime. The folding seats and cargo room are unbeatable and what else can you really put 8 people in comfortably?
    If I needed to put 8 people in I'd just call the local bus company and charter a small coach with their driver.

The Chrysler Voyager has recently been discontinued in Europe, too few customers needing that big an MPV - the only other US minivan I recall being sold in Europe was the Chevrolet Venture, rebadged as Opel/Vauxhall Sintra which was the biggest heap of s**t ever sold by GM Europe (and some of their own models were bad).

Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I'd like to watch the vid, Mik, but that primitive drum-beat seriously interferes with my eardrums and general sanity.

And as fine a lad as you may be, watching you drive and talk is BORE ING. Show me some road. Show me some dashboard.

I'll take your word, though, minivans have a Handy Factor that is unrivaled in their price range.
    This one is actually more walk around and stuff. It's only on my mug for about half.

Sorry about the primitive beats. It's all I have :-P

Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (12-13-2016)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Mazda CX-3 and 2016 CX-5

We did have a Traverse a few years ago, but if I were to buy one of these vehicles again, it would be an actual minvan, not a mid sized 3 row crossover. The sliding doors make it so much easier..and I find most minivans have a more comfortable middle and back row than the crossovers with 3 rows.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar isszy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

I'd love either of them, if they were a bit lower to the ground, had a longer bonnet, 4 normal doors and a tailgate. If they were RWD that would be even better.

The prestige SUV market would seem to be where it is at currently. Last night I was driving down Burwood Highway into the city in moderate traffic. I commented to my wife about the other cars on the road immediately around us. There were 2 Audi Q5's, a Q7, a Porsche Cayenne, a Jaguar whatever their SUV is called, a Lexus something-or-other and a Volvo XC90. All less than 12 months old. And we weren't even in Toorak !
    Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 member12's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    So who would swap their SUV for a minivan? Who has already?
    That's a crossover specifically designed to attract buyers that don't want to be seen in a minivan.

That said, I have yet to see a crossover (other than the Traverse and Acadia) offer as much 3rd row space as an actual minivan. They don't usually offer any additional capability over an actual minivan . Crossovers don't tow particular well, and they are usually not suitable for off road use....just like a minivan. They usually cost as much or slightly more than the minivans that they usually share a chassis and engine with, while offering far less interior space.

So why buy any of the typical mainstream crossovers? At least a more traditional SUV, like the Everest or 4Runner, offer some additional capability for your sacrifice in interior space. Or you can pay a huge price for a higher end crossover, such as a Porsche Cayenne or Mercedes GLS. Unlike the Kia, Chevrolet, or Ford crossovers, those higher end models actually have some towing capacity.
    Last edited by member12; 12-13-2016 at 11:00 PM.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information