In the GMI Garage: 2013 Holden Volt

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In the GMI Garage: 2013 Holden Volt

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

In the GMI Garage: 2013 Holden Volt

Finally got my mitts on the Holden Volt - now released and on sale in Australia.

While picking up the Volt, in the GM Holden Port Melbourne test fleet garage:

Opel Astra GTC - 1.6 Turbo in captivity.

My initial impressions - still technological overload, it will take a quantum leap to take in all the geegaws and gadgets.

It isn't the car is difficult to drive. Au contrare. It's just there are so many details to catch your attention you have to remind yourself to brake and steer!
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 01-14-2013 at 06:25 AM.
    • Barbados Series III CV8 'VT Coupe'
    • 245kW LS1
    • T56 six-speed manual
    • GTO PBR 320mm brakes/DBA 4000 vented discs
    • HSV GTO Wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm walkin'!

Re: GMI Drives: 2013 Holden Volt

Wow cool. Enjoy Mark. I'm looking forward to your opining.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Follow me on TWITTER!!
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! LoflytKULTURE

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 VEII SV6 "Chlorophyll"

Re: GMI Drives: 2013 Holden Volt

+ 1.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.
    [I]plus[I] U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6

Keep Holden On.

St George Illawarra, Mudgee Dragons

Thanks

Re: In the GMI Garage: 2013 Holden Volt

It will probably take 25 years before the "world" will come around to realizing what an absolutely impressive remarkable work of engineering the Volt is, and hopefully by then its importance will be noted in our history.

-Mr. Mike-
    1992 25th Anniversary TIE1-ON-Z28, HSR 355, Comp Cam, Vig STC, forged internals, Pro-Built 700R4, Hotchkis SFC's, Hooker LT's to twin Dynomax Ultra-Flo's, etc. Old X-Muffler: http://youtu.be/omytSj2Ob-8 New Twin Dynomax Ultra Flo's: http://youtu.be/6l69Xxs6iMM

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

I would like to see some one do a back to back Holden Version VS US CHEVY Version and Ampura version but wait to hear your impressions on the "HOLDENIFACATION" of the VOLT

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Just drove 20.7km to work, using 3.0 kw/h of electricity, and 0 litres of petrol. vs 2 litres of petrol in a small car like a Cruze, which would be getting 9-10l/100km in equivalent peak hour traffic, or $2.60-2.80@ the current pump price for ULP which is around $1.30-1.40 a litre. So it depends on your electicity tariff but I think that's cents vs dollars.

Even though it said 70km range, fully charged (based on the previous night’s driving when we gave it a bit of a caning 4-up to get it to run on the petrol motor) it’s still showing 56km of range, which means in 20.7km I only used 14km of range. The regenerative braking seems quite efficient at putting power back. That means I would get two 40km round trips to work between charges. This was a normal drive of about 45 minutes to work, in bumper-bumper. It was quite amusing sitting next to a tram, thinking 'you're not the only one running on electricity'.

Took about 5.5 hours to charge last night on 240 volt 10 amp charging.
    • Barbados Series III CV8 'VT Coupe'
    • 245kW LS1
    • T56 six-speed manual
    • GTO PBR 320mm brakes/DBA 4000 vented discs
    • HSV GTO Wheels

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    Even though it said 70km range, fully charged (based on the previous night’s driving when we gave it a bit of a caning 4-up to get it to run on the petrol motor) it’s still showing 56km of range, which means in 20.7km I only used 14km of range. The regenerative braking seems quite efficient at putting power back. That means I would get two 40km round trips to work between charges. This was a normal drive of about 45 minutes to work, in bumper-bumper. It was quite amusing sitting next to a tram, thinking 'you're not the only one running on electricity'.

Took about 5.5 hours to charge last night on 240 volt 10 amp charging.
    It's actually hard not to feel totally superior in bumper-to-bumper traffic like that with the Volt, and also a sense of despair that all those cars around you are burning through gasoline at a pretty fair clip and spewing pollutants and greenhouse gas into the atmosphere to basically go nowhere, while the Volt is quietly just using the electricity it needs to operate the comfort, entertainment, and steering systems. It's also so easy to move along in 'L' mode under those stop-and-go conditions, often able to keep your place in traffic with just the accelerator pedal, with no jarring shifts or first gear whine. That along with its smooth and quiet highway operation, it's easy to make the case that the Volt is the ultimate and ultimately responsible commuter car.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Had a short drive of the Volt tonight. I was impressed, mighty impressed in fact. It took very little time to get used to after having had it explained to me and the insights from Mark having driven it for a couple of days was indeed helpful. Whilst I am not sure it a 'value' buy I will just give my impressions of it as a vehicle.
    I will start with the negatives. I saw only two. The console was well laid out but the printing on the white background did remind me a little of a rice cooker, the other was that it had a load cover for the back that was just a relatively flimsy cloth. It had little substance to it. This should be improved but neither would not stop me from buying one.
    The part I expected to dislike was not as bad as it looked in photos - this was the emblem on the front.
    Now for the things I liked. The quietness is great but coming from a falcon with an inline six I think it would be less noticeable to me than drivers coming from other vehicles with not so smooth and quiet engines. The braking was particularly interesting. In Normal mode it was just like the brakes I am used to but in low when you apply the brakes it is like changing down gear at the same time as the engine brakes as well. Mark did point out that you could just let the engine do the barking when you just wanted to slow down but you did risk getting rear-ended -I could see his point. I like the seating position and the I didn't even bother to see if I could change the wheel position as it was perfect for me where it was and gave good vision of the very interesting ' speedo' cluster. The vision by mirrors was good but I didn't try the reversing camera.
    I only drove the car along a divided 80kph three lane road. It was easy to drive with other traffic (something that initially did concern me) and it did get looks from other cars. The aspect that I did find interesting was when you give a 'large right foot' it reacts like kick down in an auto but with no delay -I could easily get used to that. Whilst I was driving Mark changed the config so the engine was on. I could hardly tell but I guess after driving it for a while you would notice the difference more.
    I particularly liked the seats, as they were both comfortable and attractive.
    Would I buy one. If the economics stacked up then certainly. it would be a great vehicle for me as I seldom go out of the metro area these days and sometimes on workdays I only drive 25k for the day (maybe less). My only problem with it is that I need to have the space of a wagon for work duties but if we had another vehicle that could do that I could easily be talked in to one. My boss was with us tonight and he was impressed with the Volt too but thought it a size too small.
    I look forward to reading more detailed accounts from Mark as he will have used the Volt as a regular transport which will be far more authoritative than my brief experience.
    Last edited by chinamonty; 01-18-2013 at 07:37 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information