In the GMI Garage: 2013 Holden Barina CDX

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In the GMI Garage: 2013 Holden Barina CDX

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

In the GMI Garage: 2013 Holden Barina CDX

I was very disappointed to be returning the Holden Volt to Holden's Salmon St Headquarters. I really enjoyed my time with that car and the report is writing itself. I found myself driving slower the closer I got - like being sent to the headmaster's office.

But my disappointment is shortlived. I liked the 2012 TM Barina for it's good looks, solid equipment list and roominess not to mention safety rating and features for a car in the sub-smallcar class. Whatever it's results in the hands of other testers, it caused the competition to sharpen their pencils and slash prices and/or load up with equipment and it's been a solid seller for GM worldwide.

Now, Holden've ratchetted it up a notch or two. Not only does the CDX come with Sportec-trimmed, heated sports seats with bigger bolsters, more geegaws like park assist, more chromey bling, leather-trimmed steeringwheel and a nicer sound system, but it also is the first Holden to come equipped with GM's new MyLink colour 7" touchscreen and app-streaming platform. It doesn't just do phone and sound.

But the big, big news from an enthusiast point of view, is it's now point-and-shoot! New 17" rims that look similar to the Aveo RS Concept, stickier treads, lower ride with recallibrated spring/shock/rollbar and sharper steering geometry have combined with revised gearbox code and what feels like different throttle-mapping. The CD's quickness to upshift in search of economy and smoothness is replaced with a prediliction to hold gears in cornering and bang down rapidly on demand. Although there is no more power on paper although it feels like it's been given a tickle, it's much more on-tap; even in the confines of town, the fun-factor of carving intersecting street corners while sitting flat and composed has just gone up tenfold- in the right gear to kill understeer and light up the inside tyre in corners! It's so tossable it should have been a stunt-dwarf in 'The Hobbit'!

Add the lower ride height and bigger rolling stock, it looks the part, too. To quote Darth Vader: "Impressive, most impressive".
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 01-20-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    • Barbados Series III CV8 'VT Coupe'
    • 245kW LS1
    • T56 six-speed manual
    • GTO PBR 320mm brakes/DBA 4000 vented discs
    • HSV GTO Wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: In the GMI Garage: 2013 Holden Barina CDX

Sharp colour.

So does this model retain the 1.8L?

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Sharp colour.

So does this model retain the 1.8L?
    Boracay Blue - similar colour to the old 'Voodoo/Stryker' Blue of the Commodore/G8.

Ours don't get the 1.8 or the 1.4t. As Korean origin, they get the same 86Kw, n/a 113hp/114 lb ft 1.6 DOHC VVT mill as the Vauxhall/Opel Astra and versions of the Corsa. I'm hoping maybe when they fix the 1.8 flatspot, maybe they'll slot it in for the CDX.

Having said that, the 1.6 is revvier - especially in this iteration. The main news here is the new content and handling revisions - which might be similar to the US RS package. Trades a little bit of compliance for much more feel and grip.

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting... looking forward to seeing your mileage results as we don't have that engine on this side of the globe.

Did you get access to the BringGo navigation app or the equivalent?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    Boracay Blue - similar colour to the old 'Voodoo/Stryker' Blue of the Commodore/G8.

Ours don't get the 1.8 or the 1.4t. As Korean origin, they get the same 86Kw, n/a 113hp/114 lb ft 1.6 DOHC VVT mill as the Vauxhall/Opel Astra and versions of the Corsa. I'm hoping maybe when they fix the 1.8 flatspot, maybe they'll slot it in for the CDX.

Having said that, the 1.6 is revvier - especially in this iteration. The main news here is the new content and handling revisions - which might be similar to the US RS package. Trades a little bit of compliance for much more feel and grip.
    funny, I'm wearing a Boracay Bay t shirt
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 164k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 90k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455/7.5L, Quadrajet, dual exhaust. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday.

'87 BMW K75. Pichler V1 fairing. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. 3.0L OMC. Restored. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. Twin 327QA's. Basketcase but restoration in progress. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV. 13 hp Honda swap.

Thanks

That blue car is looking very stylish and amazing.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information