15K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  mikmak 
#1 · (Edited)
Grand Speed

#V6TECHNOCAT brings new world tech to olde world shouty turbo goodness

Mick McWilliams
Australia Correspondent
GMInsidenews.com

27 April 2016

The VXR is the only model in the Holden Insignia lineup, which is rather closely related to the Opel Insignia OPC from a few years ago. This time around there is new tech in the form of the latest MyLink system and an 8 inch multi-function display which replaces most of the conventional dials. It also Apple Carplay and Android Auto (which I didn't even notice because I was having too much fun driving!).

There are a number of trinkets to lure tech buyers, but really this is the type of car that should attract people who like to take the long road home, or enjoy the occasional weekend away scaring the wildlife on back country tarmac.

This is the ideal car for disillusioned Saab drivers, especially since it's basically an updated 9-3 Turbo-X! It even has all of the Generals best smart suspension tricks: HiPerStruts, Flex-ride and the 4th gen Haldex AWD system and eLSD.

If you want to tease yourself, leave it in VXR mode. The off idle burble, stiffened magnetically controlled suspension and harder gear changes corrupt you in no time at all, just like the OPC did.

I hope the next generation will still have a splash of this character when it rolls around sometime next year. Braaap!

Like:
Griiiip
Tech (adaptive Suspension, smart head lights, RADAR Cruise just to name the headliners!)
Seats (Recaro buckets with 3-memory)
Brembo Brakes
Noise
Regular Service fixed price $229! (up to 90,000 kms)
They say 57k driveaway but I bet you can get away with less than 50 ;)

Dislike:
No Manual
No Wagon
No Tri-Shield badge
Whomever engineered the Climate Control touch panel is a sociopath
Drinks Premium 98 (though not as fast as a V8)
Not as fast as a V8
No RWD hoonability......

Insignia VXR/OPC GMI Gallery

#V6TECHNOCAT IG Gallery

See less See more
1 4
#9 ·
What the Regal GS should have been from the get-go. Or at the minimum, this specification offered as a Regal GS-X. Yes, I know the V6 doesn't meet US emissions, yada, yada, yada.

In the end, though, I suppose the price for such a car would be right there with the Chevrolet SS, and why would you choose the Buick over the Chevy then? Still, I imagine some are willing to pay more for the badge (and all wheel drive), but considering Buick car sales in general, maybe not.

Mick, can you explain the comment in your negatives about no Tri Shield badge? Is that for Australia or am I just illustrating your point?

Reactions: SierraGS
#14 ·
Pretty much what you said already. Buick is producing some nice cars.

They're really nice.

Nice guys finish last.

Top review Mick - thanks :)

Great to see this car receiving praise for its drive. The Australian press more or less paints it as mediocre and nothing much to get excited about.

I am sorely tempted, although I have to wonder where the Insignia badge will be in 18 months time when the new Commodore hits the streets. Will I be the custodian of yet another mid-size orphan from Holden? (Yes......guilty as charged with UC Torana, then-current JD Camira and Vectras JSII & ZC. I suppose the the thing they all had in common was me!)
I'm a Vectra fan. A JSII GL Olympic Edition 5M 2.2 sedan was my previous car and when I passed it on, it had done 285,000kms. over 200,000 of them were under my demanding size 13 feet. It was a handy car to punt around and to learn about limitations, feedback and control. I almost followed up with a ZC but had more babies so needed a wagon.

It's kind of ironic that the ZC was killed off because the price of a CDXI was .....about 50k! And that was too close to an SS.

This is the same problem that the Insignia has.

The boggle is that everyone with 50 k burning a hole in their pocket will compare the two. Even my original review was a comparison against a VF SSV that went for 17 minutes. It also had shoddy editing and too many swear words so I cut this version with a sole focus on the product itself.

In isolation it's a well sorted, slightly ornery luxo slingshot laden with technology, big brakes and snug recaro seats.

In comparison to the SSV V8 it's underpowered, low on torque, slow off the line and not roomy enough.

By the look of your history though, I'm pretty confident that you would LOVE the Insignia. Take one for a drive. It doesn't cost anything. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

If only the GS received a 300+ horsepower engine.....

At least Ford is doing their Fusion Sport.
The Insignia is about more than the engine IMO, though I'm not familiar with the full spec of the Regal. Does it come with Brembos (they make a massive difference), HiPerStrut, Flexride and the Haldex eLSD pairing?

#10 · (Edited)
Top review Mick - thanks :)

Great to see this car receiving praise for its drive. The Australian press more or less paints it as mediocre and nothing much to get excited about.

I am sorely tempted, although I have to wonder where the Insignia badge will be in 18 months time when the new Commodore hits the streets. Will I be the custodian of yet another mid-size orphan from Holden? (Yes......guilty as charged with UC Torana, then-current JD Camira and Vectras JSII & ZC. I suppose the the thing they all had in common was me!)

#21 · (Edited)
The Insignia has already joined the Holden orphanage. No more imports. It was a very expensive marketing exercise (actually more like a fantasy), Holden ended up losing a fortune, and sold f/all anyway.

I'm surprised Holden still keep Insignias in their press fleet.

Same with the current Astra.

Next!

BTW, I hear the Gliwice plant are ready to start production of the new Holden Astra.

#15 ·
Its funny mate that's exactly the way I pictured the Insignias strengths to be... it's highway cruiser that lets its hair down and has some fun when you want it too. You're right its not an SS replacement nor is it some lightweight stripped out racer... which is exactly why some have had trouble shoehorning it into a category and hence some of the reviews.

It does what Holden wants it to do... offers an alternate to the Commodore and says "look at the tech and spec" we can offer up now.

Thanks for a review that probably best finds its niche and rated it that way!

#19 ·
Haha. Have at it! Keep in mind that it's not the quietest car on the road. But for me that's part of the charm. You can hear and feel what is going on. Also, the paddle shifters work well in this and it will hold gears how ever you tell it to, so don't blame it when you go in to a corner and forget to downshift. :D I may have done that once or twice. Likewise exiting a corner and still in second 200 m down the road. :laugh: If you find the shifts too harsh, just leave it in normal mode. That is by far the most comfortable set up. I typically leave it in sport, unless I need an alibi, in which case I press the VXR button and punish my self.

#27 ·
I think the VXR Astra should have been pushed a little harder, but how do you advertise performance in Australia without getting banned? Hence we get a bunch of drones buzzing around somewhat aimlessly.

#33 ·
Indeed! (Sorry, missed this response).

My only concern now is how values have dropped through the floor. I'm wondering if the new Insiginia (nee New Commodore) will suffer the same fate despite being a much better rounded product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.