GMI Drives: 2013 Holden CDX Barina

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMI Drives: 2013 Holden CDX Barina

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

GMI Drives: 2013 Holden CDX Barina

Urban Tear-arse-ist
    Mark Cadle
    BBDOS CV8
    24 February 2013

Meeting the new CDX Barina is about like seeing a familiar face at the bus station for the first time in a while. A high school kid, nice but a bit shy and sometimes scruffy in uniform with tumbledown socks and scuffed shoes, shirt hanging out.

The next time, there's a surly sneer, face piercings - and is that a tatt peering out from under a sleeve? Given the insolent stare from under a lock of hair where there was once shyly-avoided eye contact, you uneasily decide to rethink your public transport choice and drive your car instead..... What's Korean for sanpaku?

The CD Barina is a nice, inoffensive car that's a great value proposition designed for young (mostly) women. Lots of cool things for the plugged generation - MP3, Bluetooth, Lotsa safety kit, six-speed auto available, nothing too revolutionary but a wellmade, uniquely-good-looking with the funky dash and solid piece of kit - with sharp pricing, and good basic driving characteristics. For it's size it's spacious. It scores big points for low cost-to-own, and last year was the cheapest car in it's class to repair in minor fender bender tests conducted by the major motoring organisations; whereas some of it's more-fancied competitors came close to economic write-offs from 20km/h bumps.

The CDX takes those basic virtues, and via a jab in the arm pumps EPO into it's mild manners. It's not so calm, and a bit evil at times; doesn't exactly become the Incredible Hulk, but it definitely gets a green glint in it's eyes and arcs up when prodded with stick.

For the visuals, there's new body garnish with some subtle chrome splashes: with Globe-style, star mags and 17 x 205 x 50 Continental InTraction performance rubber that seems pretty sticky, along with a slightly lower ride height. In addition, the new electric steering is a bit more direct, with what feels like a slightly quicker ratio. The springs and shocks are firmer, and the rollbars I think are stiffer.

The seating surfaces are now a perforated leatherette with heating for the front, more-bolstered seats which are darn good, comfortable and hold you in place - I'd never use it myself but if your cheeks are frosty, it definitely works. There's a leather-wrap sporty steering wheel.

Interior is not a bad place to be, at all. A few more natty touches, like some alloy pedals maybe?

Capping off the interior touches, is GM's new MyLink system. My now gone-to-heaven Xperia was discovered very quickly and worked flawlessly. It also discovered my phonebook, unusually-so for this quirky phone. Having seen it pair almost instantly with an iPad, it seems to work very successfully.

MyLink is limited at present because some of the apps appear not to work in Australia for the moment. But Stitcher worked a treat.

As long as I had my phone enabled for Bluetooth, I could start Stitcher on MyLink by tapping the Apps screen and thereafter the menus drove it. In the three or so days I had it I listened to American webcast radio shows, and the overall data usage seemed to be only a few tens of kilobytes over several hours of usage - didn't even nudge my usage meter on the phone up. Obviously the streaming uses some form of compression.

MyLink seems to work near-instantly and seamlessly without lag or glitch. I look forward to the nav and other functions. No doubt with a potential large group of Chevrolet owners who are i- or Smart- phone users, apps will drop like hailstones from a cold front.

While I wouldn't suggest driving using apps, using the smartphone-style home, menu, back keys and then the touchscreen, it was quick and easy to select phone and radio, or apps. With familiarity, faster than conventional knobs.

Look forward to driving the other versions and seeing it spread the Holden lineup. It will mean more value from your Smartphone, and every time you upgrade, your functionality should improve.

Plus GM only has to supply a good sound system attached to the interface, and if like me you like to save whole soundfiles rather than crap MP3s, you'll get good sound. The sound system in the CDX is actually more than decent.

Seating room is good in front, tight in rear as you might expect. Unusually for a small car, width is generous - not for five, but four can be acquantainces rather than friends.

Of course, the interior upgrades are cool, but they're only part of the CDX story. The underpinnings are upgraded, what about the go department? Mr Holden has been playing, methinks.

Although the ratios and final drive are the same as previous, there is a notable change in driveline behaviour. The Barina CD is a typical modern car, that strives for economy by banging up through the slushbox and locking the converter as quickly as possible. The CDX keeps the changes snappy at a slightly greater interval, but the converter seems to be mapped a lot looser but, oddly, that makes the whole car more responsive. Holden engineers worked with their Korean counterparts to develop this tuning.

Not only does it hold lower gears longer unless you are dawdling, it seems to hold out lock for a longer period. So you get the effect of a high-stall converter, where the engine will quickly spin to a couple of grand with a 'loose' converter instead of trying to rev off near-idle with the converter locked. The same thing happens on the upshift to second. It revs a little harder with some slip before you feel lock.

It's also like slipping a manual clutch a little for a performance start, to get some revs and drive on board when hooking up. It will also operate manually much faster - flicking the shifter rocker activates up/downchanges almost instantly, as long as you aren't shifting into first at 100km/h. It also won't select higher than third at standstill, or let you pull engine revs below idle at slow speed by say, selecting fourth at walking pace. You can now have some fun with it, and be confident it will select a gear somewhere around where you want it to, and when it is useful.

Ideal for a quick morning blat down to the urban transport depot.....

If it weren't for the sticky tyres, it feels like it would chirp the treads on upshifts. I feel the throttle mapping has been altered, as the engine feels more eager to rev than I remember; even though it has the same power and torque ratings as previously.

These are pretty healthy for a naturally-aspirated motor, so performance is somewhat transformed. It has a throaty, growly tone, when getting kinda squirelly I thought was guite pleasing.

The little 1.6 feels quite willing to spin over 6,000rpm. At 60km/h (35mph) it's pulling about 1600rpm in fifth and doesn't need to downshift to take reasonable hills. Top gear at the legal limit is 2200rpm and it will sit in sixth with converter locked up a big hill.

How transformed? Quick enough if you get the holeshot at the lights, you can hold off a bigger four-cylinder car - like the Audi 2.0 CVT A3 who got a nasty shock from the little blue Barina; when he thought he'd blitz it from the lane that died. Of course, it's still a sub-smallcar, so it doesn't have lots of torque for hills, but you can keep it on the boil in two ways: one is, judicious squeezes of the throttle will cause downchanges in a very responsive manner.

This will slot the trans into the right gear for good drive. It already drops gears coming up to corners on the picks, providing notable engine braking; and holds gears when you're on-off the loud pedal in the twisties. It's not perfect, but it is a very sporty setup. If you see-saw the throttle to the floor and back up clumsily , it will drop mutliple gears and it's possible to get it into a muddle. But finesse it slightly, and it produces nice crisp changes for a sporty drive.

Phone function excellent - as good as Holden iQ system.

The good news is, this sporty engine and trans is well-matched by the better seat bolsters, and nicely-balanced handling which is Euro firm. On little sharp edges you can get a bang courtesy of the low-profile tyres and shorter, firmer travel. That is par for the course for this sort of setup.

If you are ham-fisted it won't bite, but will certainly not be at it's best. Some preplanning and smooth but positive input, and it is a little on-rails rocket - it corners flatly, with manners out of proportion to it's humble specification. I would love to punt it at a tight track, like a go-kart circuit. Around town it means a flick takes you past Nuffies double-parking and half-blocking your lane. It's flickability apparently feels alarming from the passenger seat but completely confidence-inspiring from the driver's pew.

Flat floor, good space for it's size with seats up or down.

Secondly, you can use the manumatic function for greater control. I think I'd prefer a tiptronic-style setup, but it does work and your hand falls on the shifter naturally with your thumb on the rocker.

Sedan not my favourite, but better with CDX touches.

I was already inclined to like the Barina, but this new version is about 75% of the way to being a genuine hot hatch. In my opinion, there are only a couple things it needs to be the bona-fide real deal and very possibly a cult car.

If it had the Cruze's rear discs, this would mean less likihood of brake fade from the standard drums, even though they don't do much in themselves to stop the car, they would let the pedal go soft - hasten to add, I didn't experience fade at all. That I think is due to a change to pad compound - the pedal is nice and firm with strong performance, suggesting sportier pads. The wider treads get this braking power down. Stability on the brakes is very good, too. No skatiness. Just for good measure, maybe throw on the larger discs from the diesel Cruze - poor man's Brembos!

Secondly, it just needs the improved 1.8 coming shortly and/or we need an SRi with the 1.4. Previously, the 1.4 turbo wasn't coming out of Bupyeong, but it is now, in the Trax, Mokka and Encore. Now that the Cruze SRi is moving up, there's room for this.

With this little torque monster (and we know that combo is supported in the US-market LTZ Sonics with the electric steering and ESC/TC code) this thing would be a real rocket-powered rollerskate, and a genuine Polo GTI-worrier. Chuck in the sixspeed manual, this would be no mild beep-beep Barina - it would turn into a real chickenhawk! The chassis is now locked-down, the brakes are a bolt-on, the parts are on the shelf. Oh, and a nice stainless polished exhaust tip, or better yet, a bluey/honey titanium unit.

C'mon, Holden - you know you want to! I offer to do the development driving........

Pros:
    • Better, sportier seats. Pleather actually cool and comfortable.
    • Now a scalpel in the twisties and tight corners. Good steering feel, balance.
    • Marginally improved in economy, but way more fun to punt quickly.
    • MyLink on limited exposure works well - easy and intuitive. Great screen, graphics
    • Looks the part with 17s and lower ride height.
    • Not really expensive considering content.

Cons:
    • Not all may like firmer suspension which can bang on sharp bumps.
    • Chassis needs more power to shine - need an SRi, Mr Holden.
    • Trans can feel like the Energiser Bunny if driver is clumsy.
    • Really love a manual version.
    • Should have discs in back.

Claimed Economy - 6.4 L/100km
    Price: $20,990 + ORC.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 02-24-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    • Barbados Series III CV8 'VT Coupe'
    • 245kW LS1
    • T56 six-speed manual
    • GTO PBR 320mm brakes/DBA 4000 vented discs
    • HSV GTO Wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: GMI Drives: 2013 Holden CDX Barina

Nice review Mark. Any word when the manual will get the engine upgrade that the auto now has?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Malibu LS V6 2009 red

GM please throw us hot hatch lovers a bone and get this vehicle over here in the US! We don't want heavy gas hog Camaros and we can't afford Vetted. Your Sonics and Cruzes are boring. Give us this car!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

US market has this vehicle. It's called the Sonic 5 door. Don't know if the engine choices are identical but the preferred one in the Sonic is the 1.4 L Turbo. Looks nice in this blue; don't know if that's available here. Another advantage over the Barina is that our Sonic is assembled here (Michigan I think) rather than coming out of SoKorea.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Interesting that after driving the Sonic I found the seats to be more comfortable than the Cruze-they seem wider whereas the Cruze seats are at least an inch or two too narrow.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Valente View Post
    GM please throw us hot hatch lovers a bone and get this vehicle over here in the US! We don't want heavy gas hog Camaros and we can't afford Vetted. Your Sonics and Cruzes are boring. Give us this car!
    This is a Sonic. Yours is far superior than ours. We make do with a very underwhelming 1.6 while the US gets the 1.4L turbo.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Valente View Post
    You can buy something similar, and as others have noted, slightly better in the power dept. Here is Nick's test of the Sonic RS.

Sonic RS

It has the same wheels and the turbo 1.4 motor, plus a real leather interior. And the stock Sonic/Aveo/Barina doesn't handle badly. Some peeps won't like the low-profile combined with lower ride height and stiffer suspenders. I do, but I am used to Euro cars and bikes were you can feel every pea in the mattress!
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 02-24-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I love the placement of the rear door handles

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    I love the placement of the rear door handles
    Yes very Alfa-Romeo but I agree it is a good idea and it makes you wonder why it took so long for someone to think of it, but does it make breaking in to the vehicle any easier?

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    Yes very Alfa-Romeo but I agree it is a good idea and it makes you wonder why it took so long for someone to think of it, but does it make breaking in to the vehicle any easier?
    Door locks are in the conventional location, down on the lower inner shell. There's a drawbar up to the top handle, and the deadlock is not controlled by it so it makes no never-mind. It's just a remote handle, but presumably there's a saving because that panel needs less pressing/holes punched due to no handle recess.

Again, when I was driving it, people often asked me was it three or five doors; so it's a clever look that fools the eye and makes the car look sportier. It's amazing how the bigger wheels sitting up into the wheelwells a little make the roofline look sleeker from the side. It's noticably less dumpy-looking in both the hatch and sedan.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 02-24-2013 at 05:50 PM.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

I learnt to drive in a Barina from the Era when it was shared with Suzuki. I think they called it the Suzuki Cino after Holden stopped selling the 5 door. I think Suzuki only sold the 3 door model until Holden went to the first of the Euro's then reclaimed the 5 door.
    God that was a fun little car to drive in. My instructor when he rocked up said I can learn in the auto if i didn't like the manual. I said stuff the auto .
    This new version is actually sort of appealing to me and if I wasn't into my large RWD cars I would consider it as a daily driver. But please that sedan is hideous. I don't know what it is but I just do not like the styling.
    One question though are those storage pockets either side of the MyLink screen as they look like they should be vents with missing parts?

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    I'm walkin'!

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOSCV8
    It's flickability apparently feels alarming from the passenger seat but completely confidence-inspiring from the driver's pew.

Nice one mark. I pick one of these up this week to dive into the MyLink
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Follow me on TWITTER!!
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! LoflytKULTURE

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 V-Car's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    Some peeps won't like the low-profile combined with lower ride height and stiffer suspenders.
    Including me.
    IMHO the CDX should be the 'Comfort' model, and have a SRiV for the boy racers.

Id buy one if it had the comfort, noise suppression and refinement of something like what GM has done to the Verano in the US.
    Sadly we dont get them here, so no cigar from this old fart im afraid.

The same applies to the Cruze, CDX for comfort, features and refinement, SRiV for sporty.
    Id like the engines and spec of the SRiV but with a soft, quiet ride.
    Holden used to do it right before with models like Premier and LS Monaro for comfort, and GTS for sport.
    It was clearly defined then, but has become muddied now.

Was the same with Commodore S, SL, SL/E, you knew exactly what you were getting, likewise Omega and Calais. If you want sporty you buy SS or HSV.
    But their small cars are confusing for older buyers. They want top spec, but see SRiV and think boy racer, so look elsewhere. Holden marketing dont seem to know how to market to different, clearly defined demographics.
    I think this is part of the reason Mazda etc. are doing so well now.
    Last edited by V-Car; 02-24-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks

I hope it is better than the last version. My local mechanic has a quite new just-superceded CDX as their loan car. My wife had to drive it for a day and said she had not felt so unsafe in a car for a long time. Her issue was the indirectness of the steering and that even small bumps could throw it off course. Fiddling with tyre pressure made no difference.

We have struck the Barina off the list of possibilities for my now 15 year old daughter's first car.

This one certainly looks better with the bigger wheels.
    Last edited by isszy; 02-24-2013 at 06:39 PM.

2003 Holden Berlina Wagon (his)
    Factory dual fuel, 17" International alloys, SS Leather steering wheel, Satin chrome gear & handbrake levers, 1600kg towbar, Calais fog lights, FE2 suspension, Mudflaps
    2002 Holden Berlina Sedan (hers)
    Aftermarket dual fuel, 17" International alloys, Satin chrome gear & handbrake levers, Mudflaps, VY Series II rear bumper
    1982 Mazda RX-7
    13B standard port manual, Headers, 16" Grey Nissan Silvia wheels

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by isszy View Post
    I hope it is better than the last version. My local mechanic has a quite new just-superceded CDX as their loan car. My wife had to drive it for a day and said she had not felt so unsafe in a car for a long time. Her issue was the indirectness of the steering and that even small bumps could throw it off course. Fiddling with tyre pressure made no difference.

We have struck the Barina off the list of possibilities for my now 15 year old daughter's first car.

This one certainly looks better with the bigger wheels.
    Not even on the same page as the old TK Barina. Few nuts and bolts similar, the engine is a development but chassis-wise, totally new. The old one was updated from an old, old Opel-based 1980s thing. This one is the first car off the new Gamma platform which is under the Mokka/Trax/Encore. It's 5-star ANCAP, for a start. At $15990 driveaway the CD's a bargain as it comes with alloys, 6 airbags, cruise, MP3/Bluetooth, full ESCT/TC. They aren't a racecar as they're weighty, but they're a neutral handler and easily cope with a freeway drive - sidewiinds and big bumps don't bother them. And they look better IMO than the other smallcars which all look like versions of each other. The dash looks funky, but it works well.

Lots of room inside with seats down for something of this footprint.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information