CT6: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CT6: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

News Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 668 Posts

CT6: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

Last edited by Michael Accardi; 02-14-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    GMI News Editor

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Michael Accardi For This Useful Post:

bmwboy2007 (02-14-2017),briandors (03-07-2017),CJH (02-15-2017),knightfan26917 (02-18-2017),RedSkyBlackDream (02-15-2017),sfbreh (02-15-2017),steve333 (02-14-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar bmwboy2007's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: CT6: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

That was a reasonably insightful summation of CT6, I can't find much to disagree with, but the CT6 I drive sometimes (Mom's car) doesn't have the issue with the Panaray Bose system the reviewer had.

Interior switch gear should be Cadillac specific in my opinion, not GM parts bin sourced and should be made of machined metal, no excuses. Upgraded adjustability for seating is a no brainer as well. The rear view camera in rain is an issue as the reviewer stated, but it can be reverted to a standard traditional auto-dimming rear view mirror, so it's a minor point.

That said, this car is insanely fast and manœuverable, and drives as a much smaller car.

Thanks

Nice article.

But what may be more telling; I'm gassing up the Chevy in Commerce Township, and asked the lady in front of me how she liked her CT6.

She gave me a very clearly positive wide-eyed nod. I asked, "You like it VERY MUCH?"

Another very wide eyed firm nod, with a set jaw.

There wasn't a sliver of remorse.

That kind of thing sells cars to her acquaintances. IF they don't fall apart, interior warts and all, it will be popular.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carbide For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (02-14-2017),Cobaltss_King (02-14-2017),Michael Accardi (02-14-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 DTS,2013 Chrysler 300C,

How can the Writer say that the SRX didn't make much progress in its segment,when it was second to the Lexus RX in the Mid-Sized Luxury SUV Sales category,and was Cadillac's Best Selling Vehicle for several years? What other Cadillac Model has as large a share of its segment?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,881 Times in 2,259 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

So just a general question on the switchgear. If you didn't know it was a part shared with a Chevy, would you notice it? Meaning there is a good chance people buying this car never set foot in a Chevy and ignorance is bliss. So is it the quality isn't good enough or it is just that you know it is a shared part?

Or a question with BMW... In Europe my understanding is the bulk of the 3 Series sales are low end, cloth seat, tiny engine non-luxury cars. Do these same low end models share the same window switches with the higher end models sold in the USA? If they do, is that ok being the low end BMW's are the equivalent of the Chevy?

I think GM should make the effort to distance themselves from Chevy and not use the same bits, but just throwing this different POV out there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

Scrambler (02-15-2017)

News Editor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    So just a general question on the switchgear. If you didn't know it was a part shared with a Chevy, would you notice it? Meaning there is a good chance people buying this car never set foot in a Chevy and ignorance is bliss. So is it the quality isn't good enough or it is just that you know it is a shared part?

Or a question with BMW... In Europe my understanding is the bulk of the 3 Series sales are low end, cloth seat, tiny engine non-luxury cars. Do these same low end models share the same window switches with the higher end models sold in the USA? If they do, is that ok being the low end BMW's are the equivalent of the Chevy?

I think GM should make the effort to distance themselves from Chevy and not use the same bits, but just throwing this different POV out there.
    Totally a fair point, there is no, shall we say, visceral content to Cadillac's important interior touch points. I've been lucky to spend some time in the Jag F-Pace and Audi Q7 this week while I help AG with SUV of the Year, and both those cars give you a feeling of special before you even put the car in gear. The doors thud nice first of all, and the start buttons have this tactile crispness, it's almost a weight that just feels premium. The CT6's is literally identical to the Cruze's, at least slap a coat of gloss on it or something...

Look at Mercedes though who takes a top down approach. Even the Euro stripper C200 SE comes with metal switchgear.
    GMI News Editor

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michael Accardi For This Useful Post:

Al63240 (02-16-2017),BlackGTP (02-14-2017),Ed753 (02-14-2017),Extreme4x4 (02-15-2017),knightfan26917 (02-18-2017)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar bmwboy2007's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post

With respect to your different point of view, I think in the case of Cadillac, the switch gear should be made of machined metal. That won't ever be mistaken for something plebeian. Cadillac needs to 'raise the standard' on this issue.

So far as BMW is concerned, I'm only familiar with BMWs sold by BMW USA.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,620 Times in 4,682 Posts

A+ writeup, probably the only car reviews I actually enjoy reading.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

Carbide (02-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,865 Times in 2,023 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Until Cadillac aligns what it says with what it does, the brand will continue on inadequately, achingly close to achieving its dreams, yet still maddeningly off the mark.
    Story of Cadillac for the past 4 decades... and counting...
    Deposit placed... Awaiting Model 3!!!
    Hidden Content

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgescuro For This Useful Post:

CJH (02-15-2017),Michael Accardi (02-15-2017),RedSkyBlackDream (02-15-2017)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 eb110americana's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    Interior switch gear should be Cadillac specific in my opinion, not GM parts bin sourced and should be made of machined metal, no excuses.
    I completely agree. The switches, buttons, and knobs can be the same, if the mechanical feel is up-to-par, but the physical parts you touch should be distinct and of premium materials--especially the parts that get touched. Cadillac should have a goal of eliminating as much plastic as possible, by wrapping surfaces in more opulent finishes. And cliche things like the sides of the seat bottoms could actually have functional exposed metal bits instead of being constructed from black painted sheet metal stampings, and then hidden behind an ill-fitting, creaky plastic cover.

Sadly, Cadillac thinks that if they charge more money for everything and tell people they are now from NY, it will convince the masses of their true luxury heritage. Sweat the details and people will seek you out. Charge nearly the same as class leaders like Mercedes without the metal to back it up, and it doesn't matter where you're from, people will not jump ship for that.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eb110americana For This Useful Post:

Michael Accardi (02-16-2017),RedSkyBlackDream (02-15-2017)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

Now just imagine. Had the CT6 been more of a four door Elmiraj in the styling department, almost none of these things would be mentioned.

I know they are two different classes of vehicles but when I bought my 2005 300C back in 2004 and it was something no one had ever seen before, everyone (even high end luxury car owners) were stopping me, taking pictures and complimenting the car. Almost EVERYONE that could talk to me about it did. Completely wowed about it! Now that it's over a decade old (still in excellent condition) I ask myself how did this car ever get away with a $45+K price tag with this interior.
    RedSkyBlackDream

21. The Following User Says Thank You to RedSkyBlackDream For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (02-15-2017)

News Editor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Hey, cheers breh.

Nothing scares me more than being another regurgitator with the vocab of a basic. AG doesn't really like the way I 'review' cars, which obviously means I'm doing something right...

It takes a little longer to actually write a story but the end result is infinitely better.
    GMI News Editor

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Accardi For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (02-15-2017),Extreme4x4 (02-15-2017),sfbreh (02-15-2017)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    With respect to your different point of view, I think in the case of Cadillac, the switch gear should be made of machined metal. That won't ever be mistaken for something plebeian. Cadillac needs to 'raise the standard' on this issue.

So far as BMW is concerned, I'm only familiar with BMWs sold by BMW USA.
    Need to be careful with metal switch gear, if sitting in the sun it becomes extremely hot.
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    Now just imagine. Had the CT6 been more of a four door Elmiraj in the styling department, almost none of these things would be mentioned.
    GM Should just look away from the Germans and just make Cadillac its own instead of chasing Nürburgring-tuned German Premium Sports sedans.

The "new for 2017" Continental which GM fans dismissed as an overpriced Buick Lacrosse competitor (because of its FWD-AWD platform vs Cadillac CT6's RWD-based platform) is actually doing better than expected.
    What most people overlooked was its spec sheet which lists standard and optional luxury features comparable to Cadillac's.

Having the Continental's price overlap that of both the CTS and CT6 might sound like a failure to those who believed in the idea that "it was just an overpriced Buick competitor", but good sales numbers must mean there is a market for Lincoln's "quiet luxury" concept, not everybody wants a German Sports sedan-style luxury car.

January 2017 sales:
    Buick Lacrosse = 1307
    Lincoln Continental = 1167
    Cadillac CT6 = 634
    Cadillac CTS = 691
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AG3*; 02-15-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    This is my new account, I've been a member here since 2004.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AG3* For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (02-15-2017),jalberda (02-16-2017),RedSkyBlackDream (02-15-2017)

CJH
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar CJH's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Audi A6 4.2, QX80

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    I concur, much more entertaining than the normal cut and paste review you read everywhere today. Kudos!

Overall a very fair assessment. While the chassis and 3.0TT are strengths, there are areas for improvement. I have been saying on here for some time the mishmash of interior materials are a train-wreck. I still can't believe that it was approved for production, until I wake up and realize we are talking about Cadillac.

P.S. I still hate gimicky BOSE.
    Past Rides:
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

Michael Accardi (02-15-2017),sfbreh (02-15-2017)

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information