GM Inside News Forum banner

What do Mustang and Camaro have in common?

4K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  knightfan26917 
#1 ·
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160627/OEM/306279963/what-do-mustang-and-camaro-have-in-common

Soon, a transmission, thanks to new era of collaboration

June 27, 2016 @ 12:01 am
Nick Bunkley

DETROIT -- It's like the Hatfields swapping recipes with the McCoys. Or Michigan and Ohio State drawing up plays together.

Starting next year, the Chevrolet Camaro will share a transmission with the Ford Mustang.

Cross-town collaboration between General Motors and Ford Motor Co. was once unfathomable. But cost cutting, engineer shortages and increasing regulations made it inevitable.

"It is surprising," said Gale Halderman, the Ford designer responsible for the exterior of the first Mustang. "Back in my time, we couldn't even talk to anybody from GM."

Nothing we didn't know already, but due to cost concerns, expect to see more collaboration btwn GM and the blue oval.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Good to hear collaboration as they are two different flavor of pony cars that are awesome.

Pick your poison and enjoy..

Sharing parts like transmissions is awesome...

I have very high expectations of awesome ness of that new 10 speed....

I might just order that for my next performance car....instead of a manual I've been driving for 40 years...

Cut the costs and improve the performance is always good.

Styling, suspension design and engine technology are major differentiators...between brands....(transmissions much less so these days with companies like zf offering their excellent unit across the board..)

I think PDK is one of the few transmission technologies that is brand specific....I liked driving the Porsche with it......excellent tech. Hopefully the A10 will be even better or equal to it ..

Jmo

#5 ·
I would say the next step for GM is to leverage the new transmission technology, they share with Ford, to close the huge sales gap they have with Mustang.
I think having access to this modern 10 speed developed by Ford will be a great way to launch a marketing campaign.

#6 ·
It's exciting that both combatants will have the same weapon in their arsenal, but I wouldn't exactly call it a 'new era'...

GM & Ford co-developed the 6AT that went into the 1500/F150, as well as the 6AT used in many recent FWD applications. The 9- & 10-speed plans were announced back in 2013. Common hardware, with unique calibrations...

#12 ·
Yep, my '91 Camaro RS and '89 LX 5.0 both had Borg Warner T-5's in them. Well, so did my '91 T/A convertible, when I sold it... ;)

A buddy had a 66 (IIRC) 3 spd GTO, the trans had FoMoCo cast in the case...

#15 ·
I think ford could use the ten speed thought the v8 mustang lineup while Chevy might launch the A10 in just the zL1.

Ford could have quite the advantage for the first year or so the story goes.

GM might soldier on with the A8 which is also a great transmission for the ss models.

I'm not sure whether the z28 will even offer an automatic much as the gt350 doesn't offer one....at least not yet.

The low torque rating of the flat plane crank might be why?

Hard to say. Saw v6 camaro in white today....not really that eye catching while the bright red mustang GT I saw at the same traffic light was more appealing...

I expect a camaro refresh sooner rather than later...

#17 · (Edited)
I'd love to know more about that central triple clutch pack that makes the gearbox so compact.
Pt just goes to shows that there's still a lot of innovation possible in Detroit.

I wonder if Ford and GM could come to some agreement on sharing GM's DOHC AFM and maybe Ford's Coyote.
To me that would make a briliant JV engine for sports cars and Trucks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.