GM Inside News Forum banner

Vehicle dependability takes hit in J.D. Power study; GM scores above average

4K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  ponchoman49 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...endability-takes-hit-jd-power-study/98231926/

Technology-related problems contributed to a worsening in dependability for a second consecutive year in the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study.

The study, which looked at problems reported in the past 12 months by owners of 2014 model-year vehicles, found an industry average of 156 problems per 100 vehicles. The previous study released in 2016 found 152 problems per 100 vehicles. As high-tech gadgetry filters down through all levels of vehicles, more problems are being registered by owners.

“The industry as a whole has largely gotten worse in this area again this year ... ,” said Dave Sargent, vice president of global automotive at J.D. Power. “It’s largely driven by higher penetration of more sophisticated entertainment systems.”

Buick, GMC, Chevrolet, Ram and Lincoln, which all ranked in the top 10 last year, slipped to varying degrees in the latest rankings.

Buick, which previously was No. 3, slipped to No. 4. GMC, previously No. 5, tumbled to No. 14; the number of problems per 100 vehicles grew from 120 to 151. Chevrolet slipped two spots to No. 8.

Ram, which was No. 9 in dependability last year, took a precipitous plunge to a tie with the Ford brand at No. 26. Sargent said Ram’s fall is most likely due to the inclusion of Ram’s heavy-duty pickup in the latest tabulations. The number of problems reported spiked from 129 problems per 100 vehicles last year, to 183 in this study.

And Lincoln slipped slightly in the rankings, from No. 10 in 2016 to a tie for No. 12 in 2017. Its Ford brand stablemate showed improvement, rising from 31st place last year to a tie for 26th this year.

Tops for reliability

■Small car - Chevrolet Sonic

■Compact car - Toyota Prius

■Compact premium car - Lexus ES

■Midsize car - Toyota Camry

■Midsize sporty car - Chevrolet Camaro

■Midsize premium car - Lexus GS

■Large car - Toyota Avalon

■Small SUV - Volkswagen Tiguan

■Compact MPV - Toyota Prius v

■Compact SUV - Toyota FJ Cruiser

■Compact premium SUV - Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class

■Midsize pickup - Honda Ridgeline

■Midsize SUV - Toyota Venza

■Midsize premium SUV - Lexus RX

■Minivan - Toyota Sienna

■Large SUV - Chevrolet Tahoe

■Large light-duty pickup - Ford F-150

■Heavy-duty pickup - Chevrolet Silverado

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Re: Vehicle dependability takes hit in J.D. Power study

How does the fullsize Avalon based Lexus ES get categorized as a compact car?
Yes indeed.

( 2014 Avalon does measure slightly larger though, than 2014 ES 350. )

Complete and utter BS and full contraindicated by JDPoorer now and falling fast themselves.

Any number of ways - actually in all ways possible.

Unbelievable.

Fully Nonsensical.

Every single relevant ratings source lists the 2014 ES 350 as " Mid Size " including EPA / NHTSA etc etc.

And yeah, including the Hybrid with it's smaller boot space.

Just go look at what is listed in the Compact Premium Car category and what is in the Premium Midsize Car category.

Then notice, the only things that do not make sense.

Are only certain Lexus product.

Not only relative to the rest of the competitors in each class, but also among themselves plus Toyota product in their non Premium analogues.......

Buick is completely miss categorized as well.

Wow

Virtually every single truly un explainable fail is designed to Toyota's benefit over all others while also most often and in net, @ the expense one way or several others...... of GM's.

Notice also that once again, the Five vehicle categories of -

Compact Premium Sporty Car

Compact Sporty Car

Midsize Premium Sporty Car

Large Premium Car

Large Premium SUV

.... once again failed to met either the rather bizarre requirement in the fine print that the top three selling vehicles in a category must account for 80% of sales in that category ( which can't possibly be correct @ least not historically ) and or didn't gain enough Survey responses. Or at this point...... maybe JDP et al just didn't want to put them up ?

Apparently ? the newer ownership has much of what they do now available to the highest bidder ? ala the Clinton Campaign and Clinton Foundation ?

It also seems ( as in the recent past as well ) that the ES was shifted out of Midsize Premium Car ( where it actually belongs and was a ways back ) into Compact Premium Car in order to cover the relative fail of IS -

( The following is in Rank order. )

Compact Premium Car ( MYR 2014 per VDS )

AWARD RECIPIENT: Lexus ES / 5 rating rating rating 100 cubic feet + 15 Cubic feet.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class / 4 rating rating rating

Acura ILX / 4 rating rating rating

Acura TL / 3 rating rating rating

BMW 3 Series / 3 rating rating rating

BMW 4 Series / 3 rating rating rating

Audi A4 / 3 rating rating rating

Lexus IS / 3 rating rating rating 90 cubic feet + 11 cubic feet

Lincoln MKZ / 3 rating rating rating

Volvo S60 / 3 rating rating rating

Audi A5 / 3 rating rating rating

Cadillac ATS / 2 rating rating rating

Mercedes-Benz CLA / 2 rating rating rating

Infiniti Q50 / 2 rating rating rating

Then, look at where they placed the smaller Interior space and smaller Boot space Lexus GS -

Midsize Premium Car ( MYR 2014 per VDS )

AWARD RECIPIENT: Lexus GS / 5 rating rating rating 99 cubic feet + 14 cubic feet.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class / 4 rating rating rating

Audi A7 / 3 rating rating rating

Audi A6 / 3 rating rating rating

Cadillac XTS / 3 rating rating rating

Cadillac CTS / 3 rating rating rating

BMW 5 Series / 3 rating rating rating

Acura RLX / 2 rating rating rating

:lmao::fall::lame::bs::faint::eek::slap::bunny::whoa::laugh::001_rolleyes::001_9898::rolleyes::tdown:::faint::barf::brick:think::->>:rice:

#8 ·

I say this every time one of these rankings come out. They need to separate difficulty using/understanding electronics from actual breakdowns/broken items. Not being able to figure out how to switch from an AM to and FM radio station is really different from being broken down at the side of the road or a piece of interior trim falling off. One is education/ease of use, the other is a problem.

#14 ·

I say this every time one of these rankings come out. They need to separate difficulty using/understanding electronics from actual breakdowns/broken items. Not being able to figure out how to switch from an AM to and FM radio station is really different from being broken down at the side of the road or a piece of interior trim falling off. One is education/ease of use, the other is a problem.
I have to agree with that. Just because 45 year old Jim can't figure out MyLink or CUE isn't a quality problem as long as the system is working correctly.

Reactions: BlackGTP
#9 · (Edited)
Lexus, Toyota top JD Power Dependability Study. All GM Brands score above average.

Toyota Motor Corporation Models Receive 10 Segment Awards; General Motors Receives Four

JD Power
February 23, 2017

While Lexus and Porsche nameplates lead the industry in vehicle dependability, owners of many high-volume vehicles are also rewarded with excellent long-term quality, according to the J.D. Power 2017 Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS), released today.

The study, now in its 28th year, examines problems experienced during the past 12 months by original owners of 2014 model-year vehicles. Overall dependability is determined by the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality. The study covers 177 specific problems grouped into eight major vehicle categories.
General Motors models receive four segment awards for the Chevrolet Camaro; Chevrolet Sonic; Chevrolet Silverado HD; and Chevrolet Tahoe.

Full Article continues at the link above

Buick, Toyota, and Chevrolet did well.

Fiat, Ford, and Dodge did very badly.

#10 ·
Re: Lexus, Toyota top JD Power Dependability Study. All GM Brands score above averag

Don't recall ever seeing Chrysler so comparatively high, usually they are on the bottom of the list with Jeep, Dodge, etc...

Honda/Acura better watch out with their below Chevy results!

#11 ·
Reactions: TruckMan
#22 · (Edited)

I'm somewhere in the middle. If it takes navigating through 8 menus and submenus to do a very simple task, and I think it should be more intuitive and only take 1 or 2, that's a problem. Just because it was (stupidly) designed to work a certain way, doesn't make it correct. It needs to be intuitive and easy or it shouldn't be in the vehicle.

Example - in my 2014 Sierra it took 2 pushes on the steering wheel controls to change (up or down) the radio presets. The first push (up or down) just brought you into the preset menu, and then the second press (up or down) actually changed the channel. This was always frustrating to me as I found it stupid and inefficient. On my 2015, THANKFULLY, the first button push is no longer required. A single press of the channel selector brings up the menu and switches channels.

#24 ·
Re: Lexus, Toyota top JD Power Dependability Study. All GM Brands score above averag

Honestly how big of a difference is there in these "averages" scores between 100 problems per 100 vehicles and 300 problems per 100 vehicles over 3 years. At 100 problems per 100 vehicles then everyone on average reported one problem over 3 years. With 300 problems per 100 vehicles everyone reported 1 problem per year on average, from a perception stand point if those problems are small and fixed easily while you take the car in for regularly scheduled maintenance and have them take care of an issue. We might be at a point where on average no vehicle is a piece of junk that leaves you stranded on the side of the road.

#26 ·

Honestly how big of a difference is there in these "averages" scores between 100 problems per 100 vehicles and 300 problems per 100 vehicles over 3 years. At 100 problems per 100 vehicles then everyone on average reported one problem over 3 years. With 300 problems per 100 vehicles everyone reported 1 problem per year on average, from a perception stand point if those problems are small and fixed easily while you take the car in for regularly scheduled maintenance and have them take care of an issue. We might be at a point where on average no vehicle is a piece of junk that leaves you stranded on the side of the road.
The problems are what's reported over a 12 month period (not 3 years). So I think there is a noticeable difference between 100 and 300. But your general point is still true -- there really isn't much separating most of the brands, especially the bunch between, say, 120 and 170 or so.

#25 ·

Still waiting on my used beer can junker to have problems. ;)

#30 ·

I don't agree with this being a dependability survey at all. Dependability is whether something breaks or not. Ease of use is entirely different. CUE or any other system that people complain about is in the car when you buy it. You chose the car and whether or not you want to learn the features or don't like how it works has nothing to do with dependability. I'm not thrilled about how the radio works on my 2016 car but I knew it when I bought it but since nothing has broken, I consider it 100% reliable.

#32 ·

If they included some measure of a problem's severity, would the ranking change much?

"My black car got dirty." VERSUS "I had to walk home ten miles at 3 am in sub-zero degree weather with no coat."

#34 ·

So you're saying statisticians seem to be lacking a certain discernment? Yeah, agree big time.

Reactions: rand49er
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.