GM Inside News Forum banner

UK company claims world first for integrated FCA AWD system

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  AusCalais 
#1 ·
UK: GKN claims world first for integrated FCA AWD system
By Graeme Roberts | 14 April 2015

UK based GKN Driveline on Tuesday announced it had become the first Tier One supplier to deliver a complete all wheel drive (AWD) system to a vehicle manufacturer.

In just two years it designed, developed and started production of the intelligent all wheel drive systems for the new Fiat Chrysler Autombiles global platform that underpins the Fiat 500X and Jeep Renegade.

GKN Driveline president of engineering, Peter Moelgg, said: "Growing demand for AWD is a global phenomenon. Consumers worldwide want smaller, more fuel-efficient cars that can do everything larger vehicles can. Automakers need responsive suppliers who can overcome the tight packaging and cost constraints and produce drivelines that engage their customers in new ways. We are delivering on our strategy of developing intelligent driveline systems that enhance both efficiency and drivability."

CONTINUE AT JUST-AUTO.COM

ORIGINAL PRESS RELEASE AT GKN.COM

Image courtesy of, and credited to, just-auto.com:
GKN supplies FCA - which builds the Renegade and 500X in several factories worldwide - with the complete driveline from transmission to wheel, including AWD, AWD Disconnect and front wheel drive variants

See less See more
Reactions: 69gtsdart
#2 ·
That's surprising. I would have thought that another company would have done this already.

Still, with AWD growing in popularity, it's good to see that a company has come up with an innovative way to offer it affordability and in a compact package.

I wonder if GM would offer such a system on more 'off road' oriented small SUVs (ahem, GMC, you paying attention?!).

#8 ·
I wonder is this for a transverse engine mount or a longitudinal engine mount?, aren't the vehicles that this system in picture for transversely mounted FWD setups?.

What enables this system to meet consumer demand for fuel efficiency and improve interior space?. This system looks very compact (meaning takes less space and less weight) then more contemporary AWD systems for bigger vehicles at least. How does this compare to for example the AWD system in the upcoming Ford Focus RS?. Would it really offer better fuel efficiency over the system in the upcoming Ford Focus RS?.

I can see how a a tier one supplier developing this system part is a big deal, the rest they don't really offer much details to substantiate their claims just a bunch of PR and marketing speak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.