U.S. Treasury failed to curb excess 2012 pay at GM, Ally, watchdog says

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Treasury failed to curb excess 2012 pay at GM, Ally, watchdog says

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Automotive News
    January 28, 2013

The U.S. Treasury Department "failed to rein in excessive pay" at bailed-out General Motors, Ally Financial Inc., and American International Group Inc., the rescue program's inspector general said.

Sixteen of the 69 top employees at the three companies had 2012 pay packages worth at least $5 million and all but one had total compensation of $1 million or more, the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program said in a report today.

Since much of the compensation is in stock, only three of the executives had cash salaries of more than $1 million.

Despite previous warnings by the special inspector general that the Treasury "lacked robust criteria, policies and procedures" to curb excessive pay, the department "made no meaningful reform to its processes," according to the report.

The Treasury's decisions "were largely driven by the pay proposals" made by GM, Ally and AIG, according to the watchdog known by the acronym SIGTARP.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: U.S. Treasury failed to curb excess 2012 pay at GM, Ally, watchdog says

I'm torn on this. I am against the excessive pay we see for executives; but GM needs to attract top talent to turn things around. How is GM going to attract or keep the best if the pay isn't even close to market.

I think a more reasonable approach would have been to cap the salaries at the average for like companies.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I really think they are trying to make a big deal out of nothing. It specifically states that most of the value was in stock, that is at risk pay. You have to play the game and with where these companies were coming from they need to pay to get the best talent. It seems to me paying in stock is the way to go as it directly reflects performance.

Thanks

You can't hope to address excessive executive pay on a one by one basis.
    2012 Buick Regal GS , M6
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited V6

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Charger 8A; 01 PT LTD

NOOOOOO!!! Maybe lil Timmy thought it was his income taxes again? Just sayin.

13Soul 11 200 V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99Golf TDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege 92SHO

"There are really no last, final campaigns. Each generation must renew and win again for itself, the precious gift of liberty, and the sacred heritage of freedom." Ronald Wilson Reagan

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 bmwboy2007's Avatar
    Thanks

Executive compensation is out of whack in the US. In 1940 CEO pay ratio to average worker was 12:1 By 1980, the ratio had crept up to 40:1. Now, it's in excess of 400:1 There's a serious problem in that area. Germany compares at 14:1, Japan at 18:1

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

"the Gov't couldn't do the job" - wow; whatta shock. They got themselves a raise just recently tho, THAT they got done fine.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    Executive compensation is out of whack in the US. In 1940 CEO pay ratio to average worker was 12:1 By 1980, the ratio had crept up to 40:1. Now, it's in excess of 400:1 There's a serious problem in that area. Germany compares at 14:1, Japan at 18:1
    A good part of our issue here is driven by the government. Regulations and acts like Sarbanes oxley have driven liability to executives and their pay reflects it.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

The stories I read of executives like Akerson being granted a position based on the fact that he was the only one who would consider it are far worse than a few executives making a tad too much money. Personally I believe every dime of executive compensation should be tied to performance, and quite frankly there is much to do as far as GM is concerned.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 ZO6 / 2010 ZR1/2013 XTS/

This is pure BS.....Lets look at some facts...,

Alan Mulaly(CEO of Ford) took home $28.9 million in 2012...the highest in the industry..

Behind Mulally but leading the rest of the world's automotive CEOs in pay was Martin Winterkorn of Volkwagen AG. Winterkorn received $23.1 million, a sum that seemed to match VW's prodigious profit of $19.6 billion, second highest among all automakers after Ford. Winterkorn's Mercedes counterpart in Germany, Dieter Zetsche, was paid $11.4 million for the year.

Sergio Marchionne, whose wizardry so far has saved Chrysler and Fiat from liquidation, earned $16.2 million last year. He will need even more magic going forward because the two companies, which are in the process of becoming one, don't build enough vehicles to be a sustainable enterprise. That judgment is Marchionne's, who has called for closure of excess automaking capacity in Europe -- so far with little result.

In the U.S. the smallest paycheck was drawn by General Motors (GM) CEO Dan Akerson. In spit of this.....

"General Motors is performing at its highest levels in years with a string of 11 profitable quarters and soon will have one of the industry's newest product lineups, while complying with all TARP restrictions and Special Master's decisions," GM said in a statement today responding to the watchdog report."

More 1st's in the Automotive Industry than Any Automobile......Ever!

"The Standard of The World" CADILLAC

Jake

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 Cadillac Seville STS

They couldn't do that with AIG either, took our tax money and gave themselves bonuses. Is the government and unions corrupt and greedy? yes, but wall street can still give them a lesson in true greed.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I'm torn on this. I am against the excessive pay we see for executives; but GM needs to attract top talent to turn things around. How is GM going to attract or keep the best if the pay isn't even close to market.

I think a more reasonable approach would have been to cap the salaries at the average for like companies.
    simple, just hire a bunch of Japanese execs to run the company..... CEO would be super happy to get 1.5 million a year.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FG Falcon Utility

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post

Alan Mulaly(CEO of Ford) took home $28.9 million in 2012...the highest in the industry..
    And nearly all of that remuneration was performance based and
    link to stock options that are triggered at predetermined levels.

The government should go put their heads in the garden because
    that's the only way they will ever grow anything with their ideas..
    Last edited by jpd80; 01-29-2013 at 02:32 AM.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post

Behind Mulally but leading the rest of the world's automotive CEOs in pay was Martin Winterkorn of Volkwagen AG. Winterkorn received $23.1 million, a sum that seemed to match VW's prodigious profit of $19.6 billion, second highest among all automakers after Ford. Winterkorn's Mercedes counterpart in Germany, Dieter Zetsche, was paid $11.4 million for the year.

Sergio Marchionne, whose wizardry so far has saved Chrysler and Fiat from liquidation, earned $16.2 million last year. He will need even more magic going forward because the two companies, which are in the process of becoming one, don't build enough vehicles to be a sustainable enterprise. That judgment is Marchionne's, who has called for closure of excess automaking capacity in Europe -- so far with little result.

In the U.S. the smallest paycheck was drawn by General Motors (GM) CEO Dan Akerson. In spit of this.....

"General Motors is performing at its highest levels in years with a string of 11 profitable quarters and soon will have one of the industry's newest product lineups, while complying with all TARP restrictions and Special Master's decisions," GM said in a statement today responding to the watchdog report."
    I agree with you 100% and look at the ratio's of salary verses "at risk" like stock GM is getting it's money's worth and more from it's leadership. Even though I think there have been some real boneheaded decisions made at high levels (like rushing the Malibu launch). And I'm sure some of those are calculated gambles, sometimes they pay off sometimes not, it's often risk verses reward.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by balthazar View Post
    "the Gov't couldn't do the job" - wow; whatta shock. They got themselves a raise just recently tho, THAT they got done fine.
    If your talking about the "gov't", there is a possible .5% raise that may happen later this year, but I doubt that will happen either. Government employees haven't had a raise since 2010. That includes those not in politics.

18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information