GM Inside News Forum banner

Toyota says may not achieve rise in Sept US sales

2K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  chakis24 
#1 ·
Toyota says may not achieve rise in Sept US sales

TOKYO, Sept 26 (Reuters) - A top executive at Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Wednesday that achieving a rise in U.S. sales in September might be tough because of a spike in sales in the same month a year earlier.

"We had an especially strong month last September, with growth of around 25 percent, so it may be difficult for sales to rise," Executive Vice President Mitsuo told a small group of reporters.

He repeated, however, that Toyota's U.S. sales would likely rise for the full calendar year despite a weaker overall market for cars. Earlier this month, he said the automaker was on track to grow 5 percent in the United States, its biggest market.

Toyota's adjusted U.S. sales fell in July for the first time in almost three years, mainly due to difficult comparisons from the year before. They fell again in August.

In Japan, President Katsuaki Watanabe said he expected Toyota's sales to grow in September from the previous year thanks to a raft of new product launches since June, including the Blade and Vanguard models.

The world's most profitable carmaker unveiled on Wednesday another new car, Mark X Zio, exclusively for the domestic market with a goal of selling an average 4,000 units a month during the life of the model. For the first three months, it aims to sell 20,000 units, Watanabe said at the launch in Tokyo.

Japanese carmakers are struggling to spark interest in new cars at home, where vehicle sales, excluding 660cc minivehicles, have fallen every month for more than two years.

Executives declined to say what impact they expected on Toyota from a broad labour strike against General Motors Corp (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) in the United States. Toyota's unionised 50-50 joint venture plant with GM in California has not been affected by the strike.

The United Auto Workers began a nationwide strike against GM on Monday for the first time in 37 years after a 10-week round of contract talks stalled.

The two-day-old strike has spilled across borders, threatening production in Mexico and shutting down Canadian plants, even as the two sides resumed bargaining in Detroit.

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNewsAndPR/idUST7636320070926

See less See more
#3 ·
"We had an especially strong month last September, with growth of around 25 percent, so it may be difficult for sales to rise," Executive Vice President Mitsuo told a small group of reporters.

He repeated, however, that Toyota's U.S. sales would likely rise for the full calendar year despite a weaker overall market for cars. Earlier this month, he said the automaker was on track to grow 5 percent in the United States, its biggest market.

Toyota's adjusted U.S. sales fell in July for the first time in almost three years, mainly due to difficult comparisons from the year before. They fell again in August."

Those statements could be cut and paste directly from some GM's sales releases when their sales were down. It kind of funny to see Toyota using the same placations.

#7 ·
The world's most profitable carmaker unveiled on Wednesday another new car, Mark X Zio, exclusively for the domestic market with a goal of selling an average 4,000 units a month during the life of the model. For the first three months, it aims to sell 20,000 units, Watanabe said at the launch in Tokyo.
I can now think of three companies who have claimed this title for themselves. So which one is it, or are they all, just based on different metrics?:

1. Porsche (might be in terms of margin % on each sale)
2. Toyota (might be in terms of actual total net income $)
3. Nissan (might have been before their profit started falling as the lineup aged and new models weren't launched.

Hmmm... :)

#9 ·
what will they say if gm posts a gain this month? like it did last month? theyre just setting themselves up for the worst, so this way they can be praised. "despite their predictions, toyota was able to pull through and post a gain in sales" i hate the toyota PR machine and how the media eats it up. and we all nkow what it owuld be like for gm.

#12 ·
montrealvue said:
Americans can barely afford their homes, why would they be able to afford new cars?
haha. one word: C R E D I T

#15 ·
Chaz_23 said:
Good. Let this be the beginning of their eventual demise.
Here! Here!!
Who 3rd, 4th, 5th/etc this notion??
B/c I definitely 2nd it! :yup:

#17 ·
plane said:
As one poster earlier alluded, it's gotta be the floor mats.
It's the only rational explanation.
I was reading about that 'Recall'. I have those All Weather Mats in my Camry. I do not lay them over the carpeted mats which would of course allow them to slide around. That is plain stupid. Mine are secured with the clips.

The only other All Weather Mats I see as better then the Toyota ones are the ones from Weathertech.com. Actually the 'Floorliners' are better. ( http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvproduct.aspx?ItemGroupId=52&VehId=639&Year=2007 ) If I didn't get my Toyota ones with my car I would have bought those.

FloorLiners

Toyota All Weather Mats

There is nothing wrong with the Toyota mats. People just do not realize how to clip them.

#20 ·
LeSabre said:
Here! Here!!
Who 3rd, 4th, 5th/etc this notion??
B/c I definitely 2nd it! :yup:
I'll jump on that bandwagon -- combine it with their recent lackluster styling efforts, and I see a great reckoning coming.

#21 ·
Havasavana said:
Damn, that Jim Press must have been good.
Maybe he was buying all those Toyotas :D.

#24 · (Edited)
montrealvue said:
Americans can barely afford their homes, why would they be able to afford new cars?
Some people actually save up money before they buy stuff.
Banks (and credit companies) will gladly profit off of you if you let them.
That can work both ways.
I bought my '99 Tahoe using cash advances from two 0% credit cards. Hard to believe, but they charged me nothing for this.... no fees, no interest.
I have the title, too. Now I'm making minimum payments to both of them, so I'm using their money for nothing.
Next year I'll do a balance transfer to another 0% card for a year, again for nothing.
Theoretically I could do this forever, but I get tired of paying. So after the transfer's up I'll just pay 'em off.... but for two years that money's making me money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.