GM Inside News Forum banner

Think All Consumer Reports Toyota Reviews Are Stellar? Read This One.

6K views 55 replies 36 participants last post by  syr74 
#1 ·
Consumer Reports
June 2016 - Page 63

Photo Credit: Toyota Motor Corporation.

Article Quotes:

While full-sized pickup trucks increasingly adopt luxury trappings, compact trucks remain utilitarian workhorses. The Tacoma is a reliable but down-and-dirty example of function trumping form.

Simply put, the Tacoma is the perfect truck for landscapers and contractors.

This beast of burden has a bulletproof reliability track record, a tough-as-nails chassis, and a durable composite-*plastic bed. For off-roading adventures, the capable Tacoma has few peers. And though the price nears that of discounted full-sized trucks, the compact Tacoma tenaciously holds its value. Hence, the Tacoma’s cult following.

But make no mistake, the Tacoma drives like a primitive, agricultural-era relic.

For all of Toyota’s claims that this is an all-new truck, key features seem as though Toyota slept through the past decade’s advances in truck technology and interior design.

Today's modern full-sized trucks feature a quiet cabin, a semblance of handling responsiveness, and a tolerable ride. But the compact Tacoma has none of that.

Unlike other V6-powered Toyota models, our tested Tacoma never feels quick from a standing start or when passing.

On the road, the Tacoma's handling is ponderous, and its slow and numb steering never connects the driver to the front wheels.

The chassis's propensity to jiggle and shudder delivers a Metallica snare-drum beat to your spine.

Wind and engine noise drown out any chance of conversation, even at modest speeds.

Braking performance is subpar.

Inside, it still has a too-high step-in, a too-low driver's seat, and a ceiling that scrapes scalps of those entering the cabin.

The front seats are flat and uncomfortable, have limited support, and offer only the most basic adjustments.

The rear seat in our crew cab is no better, with hard padding, cramped leg and foot room and short cushions.

By contrast, the competing Chevrolet Colorado is more modern-feeling. Sure you can outfit a Tacoma with leather trim, a premium stereo, and a moonroof. But for that price you can get a full-sized pickup with increased hauling capabilities, a roomier cabin, and a more comfortable ride.

See less See more
#2 ·
Bad day at the office for Toyota public relations:

But make no mistake, the Tacoma drives like a primitive, agricultural-era relic.

For all of Toyota’s claims that this is an all-new truck, key features seem as though Toyota slept through the past decade’s advances in truck technology and interior design.

Today's modern full-sized trucks feature a quiet cabin, a semblance of handling responsiveness, and a tolerable ride. But the compact Tacoma has none of that.
Pretty good day for GM public relations:

By contrast, the competing Chevrolet Colorado is more modern-feeling.
My oh my, how times have changed.

#5 ·
Toyota is definitely past their days with the blanket "recommended" status it used to enjoy. Bet Toyota is unhappy they screwed up and lost that status, however it appears to not have impacted them at all. It is amazing how initial impressions define a brand even though current reality doesn't match. Meaning the perfect score (or near perfect) Tesla received has defined the brand and is now the public's perception even though Tesla seems to have much less than stellar quality, etc.. Toyota enjoyed all those years of "recommended" even without a test drive, and now it is burned into America's psyche "Toyota = Great". Sadly GM burned something else into America's mind.

#6 ·
I've browsed through Tacoma owners forums. Honestly, the people who buy these LOVE the very primitive feel of this truck. They overlook what others may perceive as short comings because it is reliable, and it's also the last truck in America available with a manual transmission. The guys who buy the Taco with a stick are SUPER passionate about this truck.

It's a formula that sells it. Toyota would be stupid to change it completely because the truck sells exactly the way it is.

#8 ·
I've browsed through Tacoma owners forums. Honestly, the people who buy these LOVE the very primitive feel of this truck. They overlook what others may perceive as short comings because it is reliable, and it's also the last truck in America available with a manual transmission. The guys who buy the Taco with a stick are SUPER passionate about this truck.

It's a formula that sells it. Toyota would be stupid to change it completely because the truck sells exactly the way it is.
I just checked the Chevrolet & GMC websites, they are both available with a 6 speed manual trans.

#7 ·
The reliability thing also also a rather moot point today. Aside from a very few examples most everything today is reliable. I honestly can't think of anybody I know in the past 5 years or so that has had an unreliable new car that has broke down and left them stranded. It's more annoyances like poor rear visibility, a few recalls, warped brakes etc that people seem to be dealing with today.

#11 ·
They probably got a-holt-uvv a Camaro PUT by mistake. Doncha think? Rilly?

And What Difference Does It Make?

Tayoota PUTs are THE choice amongst the world's terrorist fleets. Doesn't that count for sumthing?

Reactions: jetstar63
#27 ·
As pointed out, Toyota does not have to be the best right now - there are only two medium sized trucks offered right now anyway - to keep selling very well. They have the name that was built and nurtured for generations. It'll take at least couple of great generations of GM's medium trucks to start getting there too.

#30 ·
GM (and Ford and Chrysler) needs a couple of generations of great EVERYTHING before people forget the last 30+ years. That's why I'm against these rumors of a fwd Cruze based Cadillac, the XTS and the Continental. Detroit needs to go above and beyond in everything to get people to forget past sins. Toyota doesn't need to do that, they have a great reputatio and can have some "misses" and get away with it. And even with the Tacoma not being a great, or even good vehicle, as long as it lasts forever it will still be good and support Toyota's reputation.

#29 ·
they had a monopoly + I assume underestimated GM's efforts and "mailed in" the redesign
I bet if the NEXT GEN Frontier is improved and sells well (even if only because of the 4 CYL CUMMINS) and OR the Ford Ranger comes back I bet the NG TACO WILL lift its game as Toyota will act when they NEED to

#31 ·
Consumer Reports
June 2016 - Page 63

Photo Credit: Toyota Motor Corporation.

Article Quotes:

I've seen this done before by Consumer Reports. CR will do that just before Toyota comes out with a completely new design. If I'm correct, expect a newly design Toyota next year. And, when Consumer Reports on that new design, it will be the best in the world. No kidding!

#39 ·
This beast of burden has a bulletproof reliability track record, a tough-as-nails chassis.

My son works at a BMW dealer that has a Toyota dealer attached to it. Every time I stop in there is always a few frames sitting in a pile in bake getting prepped for replacements for all there rot issues.

#43 ·
Yeah but you cannot get the stick in the V6, 4 wheel drive, or with so much as an interior you can live with. You're lucky it comes with air conditioning. So it really defeats the real purpose of getting a truck with a stick - for fun!
My experience has been the opposite. Agree to disagree.

#41 ·
The only area where the Taco schools the Colorado is off-road performance. But I've seen some spyshots of the ZR2 testing, so this might not even be safe territory for Toyota anymore. The Tacoma TRD is truly impressive off-road, but the flipside of that is it drives like crap on the road...where it will spend most of its time.

#44 ·
The popularity of the Tacoma just goes to show how people follow the crowds. Somehow reliability and resale value became most important for the midsize market. Yet move up to the fullsize market where the Tundra has the similar high ratings for resale and reliability and it doesn't sell. Makes no sense.

#45 ·
Toyota regularly ranking high in CR's long term reliability rankings (based on reader/owner feedback) has skewed perceptions.

In terms of CR's road test scores, Toyotas have been middling.

A couple of years ago, CR had a list of the 10 least fun autos to drive and 5 of them were either Toyota or Lexus models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.