Some Full-size SUVs to Gain 360 Degree Vision, Eight-speed Automatic for 2015

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Full-size SUVs to Gain 360 Degree Vision, Eight-speed Automatic for 2015

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries

Some Full-size SUVs to Gain 360 Degree Vision, Eight-speed Automatic for 2015

GM already adding features to the still-new SUV lineup.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    July 14, 2014
    By: Nick Saporito

Despite having been on the market only a few months, General Motors is already planning to add content to its lineup of 2015 full-size SUVs. According to documents obtained by GMI, at least some of the SUVs will gain a 360-degree camera system and GM’s new eight-speed automatic transmission in the next few months.

GMI recently obtained the official wiring schematics of the 2015 SUV lineup, which include schematics associated with a “360 Degree Vision” system. The documents confirm that GM will add a camera to each exterior mirror. The two side-view cameras will work in conjunction with the existing rear-view camera and a new front-view camera mounted within the SUV’s grille. All of the cameras will terminate to a new video-processing module for rendering.

This will mark GM’s first application of a 360-degree camera system in the North American market. In other makes, the cameras work together to render a full 360-degree view around the perimeter of the vehicle to assist in parking.

Dealership sources have confirmed that the new 360 camera system will first arrive in the Escalade later this year as part of a “2015.5” update. The update will also include a revised appearance, with Cadillac’s new emblem on the grille and liftgate, as well as the start of the top-of-the-line Platinum model. To date, Cadillac has not yet revealed the Escalade Platinum and it is not known when it will do so.

The Escalade Platinum is also expected to feature a new oversized sunroof. In Cadillac’s CUE software, the Escalade’s icon shows a sunroof that stretches over the second row seats, giving everyone an unanticipated glimpse at a future option.

Additionally, the documents reveal that GM’s 8L90 eight-speed automatic transmission will be available in some of the SUVs within the 2015 model year. GMI validated the claim with documents from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that show the federal agency tested 2015 Escalade, Silverado and Yukon with an eight-speed automatic as recently as April 30th. Like the half-ton trucks, it is expected that SUVs with the EcoTec3 6.2-liter V-8 will be the first to get the 8L90 transmission, starting with the Escalade and Yukon Denali.

GM engaged in a similar rollout when the company switched from four-speed to six-speed transmissions several years ago. The new transmission started in the largest engine applications and trickled down to the rest over time. This type of cadence gets the latest and greatest in the most expensive products, while also allowing manufacturing to appropriate time to ramp up.

Like the eight-speed transmission, the rest of the new gadgets will likely trickle down to the rest of the Chevrolet and GMC SUVs over time, though the exact timing is unclear.
    Last edited by nsap; 07-14-2014 at 09:01 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nsap For This Useful Post:

boblutzfan (07-14-2014),cad1cts (07-14-2014),CaddyLac10 (07-14-2014),DealerGuyAtl (07-14-2014),GMSilverado (07-14-2014),samesun (07-14-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Re: Some Full-size SUVs to Gain 360 Degree Vision, Eight-speed Automatic for 2015

Nice!

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71

Re: Some Full-size SUVs to Gain 360 Degree Vision, Eight-speed Automatic for 2015

Sounds like a derivitave of the Xilinx System: http://www.xilinx.com/applications/a...mera-adas.html
    "Just because you are smarter than me does not mean that I am dumber than you!" - Farnsworth

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 majicbz07's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

Its about time GM started using a 360 degree camera, i'm glad they aren't waiting for an MCE to add it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to majicbz07 For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (07-14-2014)

Thanks

This is a worthy addition.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (07-14-2014)

Thanks

But will they change the shifter along with the new transmission?
    2006 Pontiac GTO 6M, 2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i, 1987 Audi 5000 CS, 2011 Ford Fusion SE V6

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quattro For This Useful Post:

mchicha (07-14-2014),samesun (07-14-2014)

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member
    Thanks

GM's product culture seems to be changing for the better. Now, they're striving to put their best technology in their top end products as quickly as possible. Before, they would have waited for a MCE or started with lower end products.

GM's flagship's and most aspirational products like the Escalade, Denali and Corvette should always receive the best technology first and then trickle down, not the other way around. I think GM understands that concept now.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

I really hope the Escalade gets a new look shifter with the 8 speed, even if its on the column like the S Class, but not that horrid pick up one.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '02 Sierra HT (Stepside)

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    This will mark GM’s first application of a 360-degree camera system in the North American market. In other makes, the cameras work together to render a full 360-degree view around the perimeter of the vehicle to assist in parking.
    I suppose I don't read every press release of every GM product built. What other product is using a 360 degree camera system?

"Don't think of it as a slap. Think of it as a high 5.....for your stupid face." How I Met Your Mother--January 13, 2014

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Cadillac, 2008 Solstice,

Nick, This is good news. Thank you for letting us know.
    Do we have any information yet on the 9 speed for FWD cars which was predicted? It seems to me that would be a good addition to the heavier of those models.
    Ed

Thanks
    My Ride
    Saab, Cadillac

Infiniti uses a "birds eye" camera that shows an overhead view of the vehicle. Great for parking.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesda For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (07-14-2014)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Ultra Magnus's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder what the revised "appearance" is other than the new logo. Could there be other tweaks to differentiate the Escalade from its platform mates other than the front clip?
    They said it couldn't be done. That is until I did it.

Thanks

And the return of Night Vision to at least the platinum? I hope!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to samesun For This Useful Post:

Ed Arcuri (07-14-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    I really hope the Escalade gets a new look shifter with the 8 speed, even if its on the column like the S Class, but not that horrid pick up one.
    Agree. But not silly push button/dial. I like to actually shift...but probably not as important on a big suv as it would be on a performance sedan/coupe.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mentat Bashar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

Good to hear the Escalade is being updated so quickly with additional options. Looking forward to seeing what the revised appearance entails, besides the crest, and seeing the Platinum.
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

Spelling: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=163843

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Quinn;
    It's like a DeLorean...an audio DeLorean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabara Airport;
    The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of Dreamlifter cargo only, there is no stopping in the red zone.

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information