GM Inside News Forum banner

SAAB-owner NEVS exits reorganization, could pave the way for a takeover

4K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  Dequindre 
#1 ·
Reactions: nadepalma
#5 · (Edited)
My previous boss drove a nice Saab 9-3. He went with a BMW 1 series with many add-ons as his next vehicle. He stated when the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu came out that GM gave Chevy Saab's styling and did not want another one before they went under. Interesting perspective from someone that owned several Saabs before.

#26 ·
There's nothing GM NEEDS from Saab at this point.

Saab made sense when Buick was rebadged Oldsmobiles and Chevys.

That was hurting Chevy and holding back Cadillac to lower price points. Buick is now being pushed upwards and gaining some unique product (even if it's Opel product, it's unique to the USA portfolio for GM which is key).

There isn't room between Buick and Cadillac to try to add Saab.

I'm no hater. I loved Saab. I think the final iteration of the 9-3 Convertible was probably the best looking 4 seat convertible of all time, and the final 9-5 was interesting. But Saab needed to go.

#32 ·
Question: are the 9-5 and 9-4x Saab designs, or do they belong to GM? Assuming the former, I can't believe a Chinese company didn't scoop them up and start pumping them out, they'd be popular in China as an alternative to Audi products.

Assuming the latter, why didn't GM repurpose these vehicles, which had been fully engineered and launched into production? The 9-5 could have worked as a top-drawer Opel, or even a Regal. And the 9-4x could have been finessed into a Buick CUV between the Encore and Enclave.

Just seems like two lost opportunities. So much talk about waste and overlap in the auto industry, and here are two lovely vehicles that barely saw the light.

#39 ·
#42 ·
^ dunno. BMW own Triumph, not sure on Riley - I thought Tata had it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.