Rick Wagoner Hosts GM fundraiser for Congressman Opposed to Fuel Economy Proposals

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rick Wagoner Hosts GM fundraiser for Congressman Opposed to Fuel Economy Proposals

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Rick Wagoner Hosts GM fundraiser for Congressman Opposed to Fuel Economy Proposals

GM throws fundraiser for Rep. Knollenberg
    David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington
    8/8/2007

WASHINGTON -- Top executives at General Motors Corp. helped out an auto industry friend Tuesday, holding a fundraiser in Detroit for U.S. Rep. Joe Knollenberg, R-Bloomfield Township.

GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner hosted the 90-minute reception at a private club on the 36th floor of the Renaissance Center, the same building that houses GM's corporate headquarters.

The event Tuesday evening raised $45,000, said Bryce Sandler, Knollenberg's finance director. Knollenberg expects to raise a total of $3.5 million to $4 million for his 2008 re-election campaign, Sandler said.

About 50 people -- mostly GM executives -- attended the reception, Sandler said, and most were donating $1,000 each. Those included Tim Lee, GM's vice president for manufacturing, Beth Lowery, vice president for environment and energy, and the company's chief lobbyist, Ken Cole, who is vice president for government relations. Several GM dealers attended as well, including David Fischer, CEO of the Troy-based Suburban Collection.

While it is not unusual for auto executives to write checks to support lawmakers, it is unusual for so many high-ranking GM officials to throw a fundraiser.

Knollenberg has been an especially aggressive defender of the Detroit Three automakers, centered on his strong opposition to hefty Corporate Average Fuel Economy increases. His campaign also paid for a billboard -- "Arnold to Michigan: Drop Dead" -- spotlighting California's efforts to regulate auto emissions, and solicited $3 contributions to fund a Web site, Big3defense.com, to support automakers.

GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz -- who contributed $1,000 to Knollenberg's campaign, but didn't attend the event -- said his support of Knollenberg was coincidental to the lawmaker's opposition to fuel economy proposals that could cost Detroit automakers $85 billion.

"To be honest, I just like him," Lutz said.

GM spokesman Greg Martin said the decision to hold the fundraiser in Detroit was a matter of logistics.

"It makes it convenient for our senior leadership to recognize Mr. Knollenberg," Martin said. "He, along with the Michigan delegation, have really been an effective voice for us this year in a challenging climate."

Source: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../1022/POLITICS

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Rick Wagoner Hosts GM fundraiser for Congressman Opposed to Fuel Economy Proposals

its called bribery money, then they say there's more where that came from, nothing new here.
    please nice people in cyberspace dont buy that Toyota Hidden Content

Thanks

Re: Rick Wagoner Hosts GM fundraiser for Congressman Opposed to Fuel Economy Proposals

thank God we have someone in congress who isn't afraid to stand up against the global warming lie and all the other so called conservatives (i.e. George W. Bush) who are giving in to the global warming lie! Global warming is just another way for liberals to play on people's emotions to help their destruction of capitalism.
    current vehicle:
    2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500 WBH LT Z71 - black on black

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks

If you're not cheating you're not trying.
    My 1988 Chevy S10, 2001 Chevy Silverado, and 1976 Chevy K10
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Re: Rick Wagoner Hosts GM fundraiser for Congressman Opposed to Fuel Economy Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Paulerron
    thank God we have someone in congress who isn't afraid to stand up against the global warming lie and all the other so called conservatives (i.e. George W. Bush) who are giving in to the global warming lie! Global warming is just another way for liberals to play on people's emotions to help their destruction of capitalism.
    I agree with you, but the fact of the matter is, Global Warming sells cars! If GM went against this bill it will be portrayed as the evil corporation that's stomping over the poor little flowers. While Toyota is swaying the brainwashed American public, with it's Prius and Camry Hybrid, and the GREEN (not so) Tundra.
    That's why GM should do all what it can to meet the bill not fight it.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

There is one simple rule. When gas is cheap people buy larger cars, when gas is expensive people buy smaller cars. Car companies just build them.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

GM has been lobbying its tail off. I was on my way to work near the Capitol two weeks ago, and I saw none other than a Chevy Volt parked on the curb along with Aura and Yukon hybrids. I had to rub my eyes and pinch myself to believe it.

GM's lobbyists were spitting out quite the mouthful. They told anyone who would listen that tighter CAFE regulations actually reduced the chances of the Volt coming to market.

It's also worth mentioning that the people I work with thought the Volt was absolutely stunning, and could not stop asking me questions about it. GM is foolish if they don't build it - CAFE or not.
    Hidden Content
    "The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol. Typical GM. Go back the only politician that doesn't believe in the new fuel economy standards. Then this leaks to the news media, and they have a field day since it is GM that is doing this. But if Toyota does it, no one says anything.
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC JonathanRohr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ming
    "He, along with the Michigan delegation, have really been an effective voice for us this year in a challenging climate."
    No pun intended im sure.. lol.

Wouldnt it be a whole lot smarter for GM to support fair trade candidates? This whole gas mileage business is a bad thing to fight. They will be seen as opposing positive change and thats the last thing they want.
    1988 Ford Taurus - Dead at 342,683
    2000 Pontiac Firebird - Totaled by a drunk driver at 203,501
    2008 Ford Focus - 37,540 and counting

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Old Dood's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm...Seems like Rick would want to support people that want to get Universal Health Care going in this country. That would solve more immediate problems on GM's plate at this time.

But, God Forbid anyone would want to do anything like that....That would be too lodgical...
    TRY to Think Outside of the Box!
    Dag-Nab-It! I missed the thread titled:"Woman Kicked Off Train After 16-hour Cell Phone Chat"Hidden Content

Thanks

Re: Rick Wagoner Hosts GM fundraiser for Congressman Opposed to Fuel Economy Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by KUZCO
    its called bribery money, then they say there's more where that came from, nothing new here.

Maybe it is maybe it isn't but some would call what the Congressman is doing is representing the interests of his constituents. I think bribery would be paying off a lot more Reps and Senators than just those from Michigan. But like you implied...

It doesn't just have to be fair...it has to look fair too.
    "Whenever I’m suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I’m straight off.."

"This is a Renault Espace, probably the best of the people carriers. Not that that's much to shout about. That's like saying 'Oh good, I've got syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases!"

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

Quote Originally Posted by Paulerron
    Global warming is a religion for atheists...although some people who have a traditional religion have latched on...

I don't see much of a problem in this fundraiser. Detroit needs all the help in Washington it can get.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member sigma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dood
    Hmm...Seems like Rick would want to support people that want to get Universal Health Care going in this country. That would solve more immediate problems on GM's plate at this time.

But, God Forbid anyone would want to do anything like that....That would be too lodgical...
    Not to mention that John Dingell (D-Dearborn) is the person who actually stopped the CAFE proposal. He actually chairs the committee that will hear the legislation so if there is someone I would lobby; its him. Not to mention he is also a huge friend of the auto industry (not surprising considering he represents Dearborn).
    "The best committee is the committee of one"
    -Bob Lutz

Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member Premium Member sigma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skylark68
    Global warming is a religion for atheists...although some people who have a traditional religion have latched on...

I don't see much of a problem in this fundraiser. Detroit needs all the help in Washington it can get.
    Seriously people. Global Warming isn't a myth. There are volumes of data which show that the earth is increasing in temperature faster and Co2 output is increasing faster than at any other point in the ice records which stretch back since the last major ice age more than a million years ago.

Let's assume its not true for a second. Is there a problem with politicians and scientists demanding that we clean up the air we breathe and the water we drink?! God forbid we should have fewer cases of cancer, lung disease! God forbid our children should actually be able to play outside in the summer instead of staying in doors the pollution is so bad!

If it is true and if the ocean levels do rise we are talking about a crisis that could cause the displacement of close to a billion people from their homes over the next hundred years. We are talking about much more severe and unpredictable weather like 18'' of rainfall in two hours and tornadoes for the first time ever in Brooklyn.

We are playing Russian roulette with our homes and lives and its time that we at least take the time and effort to try to stack the odds in our favor.
    "The best committee is the committee of one"
    -Bob Lutz

Hidden Content

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Let's assume its not true for a second. Is there a problem with politicians and scientists demanding that we clean up the air we breathe and the water we drink?! God forbid we should have fewer cases of cancer, lung disease! God forbid our children should actually be able to play outside in the summer instead of staying in doors the pollution is so bad!
    A trip to any major city in China will prove the local effects of pollution. But Americans who don't see a local effect out in the suburbs of Tulsa, Oklahoma are unlikely to be swayed by something globally when they aren't experiencing it locally.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information