GM Inside News Forum banner

Opinion: Surprise Automotive Hit of 2013

9K views 98 replies 62 participants last post by  chinamonty 
#1 ·
Automotive News

December 26, 2013

Source: Chrysler Corporation

Article Quotes:

I'm spending this holiday week hunting for recipes, preparing for a year-end meal of crow, thanks to the Jeep Cherokee.

Dealers tell me that in this, its second full month on the market, the 2014 Cherokee is headed for sales that will top November's 10,169 units and rival those of the Wrangler or Grand Cherokee.

Cherokee sales are "strong as death" this month, one dealer told me.

If that's the case, that's a much healthier reception than I thought the Cherokee would receive when I first stared blankly at its polarizing front clip a year ago, and wildly more successful than I thought it would be after its launch was delayed last summer.

Don't get me wrong. I never thought Cherokee would flop. After its first public photos showed up in February, I predicted that it "would probably sell when it appears in dealerships," even as I sided with Jeep enthusiasts over the vehicle's name. I've owned a handful of the previous Cherokee XJ SUVs over the years, and loved every one.

I finally got to spend a day driving the latest generation Cherokee in September. I spent hours mulling over my conflicting thoughts before concluding that the Cherokee had evolved into something different, but I had not.

I've seen them in the wild now on the roads of southeast Michigan for weeks. I really like the SUV's interior, and from the A-pillar back, it's a winner on the roads.

I'm still turned off by the front light stack, grille and nose, but styling is always subjective and tens of thousands of others appear to have a different opinion. Good for them and good for Jeep and Chrysler Group.

What is good for me -- and for those like me who live near Chrysler's Toledo Assembly complex where the Cherokee and Wrangler are made -- is that Jeep plans to build about 300,000 Cherokees in 2014 to meet global demand.

By my math, that means the automaker will have to add a third shift and hire about 1,100 additional workers early in 2014 to hit the number, and that is never a bad thing.

As a native of Toledo whose family and friends mostly live within 30 miles of that plant, I've never been happier to be so wrong.

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
Chances are, the buying demographic will be all over the place. It's new, it's styling is unmistakeable, & it carries a name that is synonymous with all weather capabilities. Sounds like this might prove the theory of "what's in a name?". While I personally would cringe at the thought of buying a new 4x4 & then taking it off road to get scratched up & beat up, I would want a Trailhawk & would do some off pavement driving before I got home.

And I would roll in an Aztek or a '57 Lancer.

#11 ·
I kinda like it. Is is very different, but to me not bad.

I would CONSIDER buying one if we were in the market for a larger cuv than we usually drive. To me, the dissapointment with this is the fuel economy, considering it has close to brand new engines and a 9 speed automatic. Fuel economy isn't bad, but no one else has those powertrain specs so it should have been better.

#29 ·
To me, the dissapointment with this is the fuel economy, considering it has close to brand new engines and a 9 speed automatic. Fuel economy isn't bad, but no one else has those powertrain specs so it should have been better.
I hate to break it to anyone, but the Tigershark line of engines are leftovers of Chrysler's World Engine program. That should help to understand the disappointing FE. The 9-speed should have helped, but it appears to be a current advertising high point & nothing more. As a comparison, Jeep advertises the Cherokee at 31 MPG highway with the 2.4/9-speed auto while the Patriot using the 2.0/6-speed auto gets 30 MPG highway. With some better aero, the Patriot could match the Cherokee on mileage.

The thing about weird looking vehicles like this (or the Juke, or Cube, or Soul, or even the gen 5 Camaro) is that after being on the road for a while, they become a normal part of the scenery and people quit bellyaching.
Has anyone else noticed that the 2014 Rogue has gotten rid of the cartoonish nose & has one that looks more mainstream?

It's not the squinting headlights that is the styling problem.
And the squinting headlights aren't even the headlights. Those are the DRLs/turn signals. The headlights are hiding in "caves" underneath. I test drove a Cherokee at a car show in November & it wasn't bad. As I told the rep, I would have to have a Trailhawk & probably with the V6 considering it's only a 3 MPG penalty on the highway.

#12 ·
The thing about weird looking vehicles like this (or the Juke, or Cube, or Soul, or even the gen 5 Camaro) is that after being on the road for a while, they become a normal part of the scenery and people quit bellyaching.

However, unfortunately for GM, they succeeded in creating a "punchline" with the Aztek, that will live on for decades. :rolleyes:

#15 ·
Surprise hit?

More of the class worst Chevrolet Camrys are sold than the Cherokee. You want to talk about surprise? There is absolutely no reason for anyone to buy a Chevrolet Camry, yet there are enough stupid people to buy one - so it goes without saying there are enough idiots to buy the Cherokee in a lower amount.

Sometimes I wonder where these people come from.

#16 ·
I reallly like the Cherokee. Probably would have bought one if it were slightly bigger. I had an Equinox and wanted to go slightly bigger, definitely didn't want to go any smaller. Regardless of how much I wanted to like the Cherokee it was just too small (for me) once I saw it in person (it's about the size of an Escape). Ended up getting a Traverse.

I do like the styling and I'm glad to hear they're selling well, kind of makes you wonder how much better sales would be with a more "traditional" front end.

A year ago I wouldn't have considered any Chrysler products but the Town & Country we bought in the spring has really changed my mind about Chrysler quality and value.

#17 ·
Just bought a 2014 Nissan Rogue, it came down to the Rogue and the Forester for me. But as we were test driving one of them, we passed the jeep dealer and a woman was pulling out of the dealer in a Cherokee and I kind of joked with my wife (thinking she would think it was hidious) 'what do you think about one of thoes?' and to my suprise she was like 'it doesn't look bad'. I'm starting to see them all around. I would say they did it right. Hopefully the initial tranny woes will go away. Good Job Jeep!

#23 ·
...we passed the jeep dealer and a woman was pulling out of the dealer in a Cherokee and I kind of joked with my wife (thinking she would think it was hidious) 'what do you think about one of thoes?' and to my suprise she was like 'it doesn't look bad'.
That's why I asked about the demographic. Completely anecdotal but every male I've talked to in person about these when I see one says it's terribly ugly. I was with my wife the other day and we saw one and I said, "Oof, is that thing ugly..." and her response was "Really? I think it looks ok."

#18 ·
Was shocked at how it looked when I first saw the pics, but it has now grown on me and im now impressed with the design.

#20 ·
I saw one on the road for the first time yesterday and I must admit that it looks better in person than it does in photos. I suppose those that are buying weren't the same people following the launch of this vehicle on the internet as the introduction photos of the front end clip didn't do the vehicle any justice. Time will tell if Chrysler will be able to sustain sales.

#24 ·
It should be doing well, it's the first really right Jeep for the times in years. ~$22k, 31 mpg and the Jeep name help, and with all the features available it can compete past where the CR-V, RAV 4, etc. top out.

The 2.4's mileage could be a little better and early reviews indicate it's not the nicest sounding motor still, but the V6 does pretty well at 19/28. That's close to the Acura RDX (20/28) and better than the Sorento V6 at 18/25.

I just hope the quality is there.

#25 ·
Aztek, Juke and new Cherokee. The Trinity of ugliness.

Both of my daughters, 21 and 18 find the Cherokee ugly. Oldest daughter drives a 2002 Liberty. Oldest said about the current Jeep vehicles, "The only one I might buy would be the Wrangler. But I'd probably buy an older Jeep and fix it up." She will graduate in a year with a Master's in Engineering. Definitely making good money and probably fits within the demographic that Jeep is chasing.

Local dealer has a bunch on the lot but I have yet to see one on the road.

#26 ·
Also, haven't gotten to see up close yet but the odd headlights could be a great thing because they may not shine right into the eyes or rearview mirrors of lower riding cars like so many C/SUVs. So if the headlights are blinding it's not because of their function. :D

Between the image and demographic this should be a close competitor for the next Terrain.

#27 ·
Saw one at night across an intersection from me. They had the roadlights on, so the thing had a stack of three lights on each side....:eek: Looked like a spaceship....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.