Opinion: GM Should Not Be Outside Looking In At This Super Bowl

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion: GM Should Not Be Outside Looking In At This Super Bowl

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 326 Posts
    Blog Entries

Forbes.com
    February 3, 2013

Not being in this Super Bowl should be driving General Motors marketing executives crazy. It’s the one major decision made in the Joel Ewanick era that they probably would rather have back.

Affiliating Chevrolet with Manchester United?: a great move by the exiled former CEO last spring just before he was ushered out. Not advertising on Facebook anymore? It probably was a good idea to pressure the too-big-for-its-breeches social-media giant to make its paid space more effective, and it was a move that drew muttered agreement from many CMOs in other industries.

But GM finally is undoing the Ewanick-approved “Chevy Runs Deep” tag line, which quickly proved shallow and ineffective. And brand marketeers in every one of the company’s four remaining divisions also probably would love to have seen interim CMO Alan Batey reverse his former boss’s decision about exiting the Super Bowl as well.

This isn’t 2009. While the company remains saddled with some ownership by the U.S. taxpayer, and the likelihood that the federal government will exit its oversight of General Motors with a significant financial loss, the company itself is in better shape now than in many years.

Surely a well-executed bet on Super Bowl advertising, $4 million or $8 million or $24 million, no longer would be considered a risky bet. But as it is and shall be on this, the day of Super Bowl XLVII, GM won’t be able to play with the other kids on the biggest marketing field of them all.

And look what each or any of GM’s brands might have been able to do with the air time:

Read More...
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Editor
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Opinion: GM Should Not Be Outside Looking In At This Super Bowl

I have to agree with him, particularly with Cadillac. The Super Bowl was Cadillac's chance to trumpet the ATS, but they missed it.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

They could use you at VW yesterday. That Bug commercial was awful. ATS and Corvette definitely deserved Superbowl ad money.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Im not so sure it was a good or bad idea. Sure, a lot of people watch the super bowl but when you put out mediocre ads such as years past just doesnt help. Until GM can get consistincy from its marketing department then they need to spend the money elsewhere.

Take Chrysler for example. Two GREAT ads this year. The Farmer and The Return were just moving. Can GM even come close to that? If not, no need to try and fail.

Editor
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Im not so sure it was a good or bad idea. Sure, a lot of people watch the super bowl but when you put out mediocre ads such as years past just doesnt help. Until GM can get consistincy from its marketing department then they need to spend the money elsewhere.

Take Chrysler for example. Two GREAT ads this year. The Farmer and The Return were just moving. Can GM even come close to that? If not, no need to try and fail.
    I liked The Farmer spot, but was less enthused about The Return. They are both touching spots, but I doubt either one of them moves metal.

E-Mail Me

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Pontiac GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    I liked The Farmer spot, but was less enthused about The Return. They are both touching spots, but I doubt either one of them moves metal.
    Jeep is already known very well in the military community and it just reenforces the idea that they havent forgot about you.

The Farmer was just a great story about America. Ive had friends that arent even farmers or remotely related to it that want that feel. I even had one friend cry during the commercial.

If neither moves metal then nothing GM can come up with will either. Got to remember that the past three super bowls Chrysler has destroyed any other car maker with their stuff. The bar has been set very, very high in that regard.

The last GM super bowl commercial I remember was that awful truck apocolypse one. When was the last good GM super bowl commercial?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    DC Metro

How much does it cost to advertise during the Super Bowl? GM would be better off using that money to give us the CIEN.

Thanks

Superbowl advertising is a waste of money. Nobody cares about what is being advertised, they just care about how cute or whimsical or catchy the skit is. When the advertisement itself becomes more important than the actual product, then something is not right.
    Past
    1984 Ford Crown Victoria
    1994 Buick Park Avenue
    1995 Ford Probe GT
    2001 VW Jetta TDI
    2002 VW Jetta TDI
    2005 VW Passat TDI
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer
    2006 VW Jetta TDI

Present
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo T05 Manual
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country

Future
    2015 Volt 2.0

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

I like the truck apocolypse one, got a laugh out of me, but I don't know that it was the greatest for helping to move metal. They should have been bragging about the ATS and it's gazillion awards.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 MisterMe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Pontiac G8/2009/White

I seem to recall the Paul Harvey voiceover for The Farmer when it was a new recording. It was somewhat moving, but it took me forever to figure-out that it was selling Ram pickup trucks. The Return was nice enough, but it came across more like a PSA than a commercial. I absolutely loved VW's commercial with the Minnesotans from Jamaica. I also loved the Kia ads--at the time. However, I had forgotten about them until I had nearly completed this post. The most useful automobile ad was the introduction of the new Mercedes-Benz CLA. That said, I am not so sure about a sub-$30k Mercedes. Sure, now virtually anyone can buy a Mercedes. If anyone can buy a Mercedes, then why would anyone want to buy a Mercedes?

The notion that Cadillac lost an opportunity here is just silly. The purpose of an ad is ultimately to move metal. From what I can see, the ATS is selling quite well without a Super Bowl ad. It is not going to lose sales for lack of a Super Bowl commercial. If Cadillac were ready to put the ELR into showrooms, then there might be a point. Perhaps, we will see ELR ads during the World Series.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    How much does it cost to advertise during the Super Bowl? GM would be better off using that money to give us the CIEN.

A Superbowl ad wouldn't pay for the design and devlopment of the door panels on a car like the Cien!

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

A Buick Regal GS ad would have been nice.
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

SX3
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '06 Altima, '13 Sonic Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Jeep is already known very well in the military community and it just reenforces the idea that they havent forgot about you.

The Farmer was just a great story about America. Ive had friends that arent even farmers or remotely related to it that want that feel. I even had one friend cry during the commercial.

If neither moves metal then nothing GM can come up with will either. Got to remember that the past three super bowls Chrysler has destroyed any other car maker with their stuff. The bar has been set very, very high in that regard.

The last GM super bowl commercial I remember was that awful truck apocolypse one. When was the last good GM super bowl commercial?
    The ATS commercial at the 2-minute warning was brilliant.

Thanks

Superbowl ad time is too expensive. Waste of money, IMO.

Thanks

The Farmer ad was a rehash of a FFA(Future Farmers of America) ad from several years ago, they just added some Dodges to the footage.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information