Op Ed: Why GM's New Pickups Should Worry Ford - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Op Ed: Why GM's New Pickups Should Worry Ford

b4z
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO M6 QSM/ black

Re: Op Ed: Why GM's New Pickups Should Worry Ford

GM has a price advantage with OHV motors but in typical GM fashion they won't price their vehicles less than the competition.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

DGA
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I think these will be great trucks. I don't think Ford has to worry about them though. Ford has more models of the F150 than GM is willing to shake a stick at. Raptor being just one very hot selling iteration. I don't think this is good or bad, but just how things stand. And as said above, a GM guy will not buy Ford and vice versa. The disappointing thing to me is that GM is not willing to match Ford on basic offerings any more...no more 8' bed on an extended cab trucks…even though they make extended cab trucks, 8’ beds, and frames long enough to mate the two.

One thing that keeps tickling my mind is why is GM willing to build things like a SSR and a Z/28 (not that they are the same by any means), a very niche cars, but can't put bigger suspension on a truck and sell it as a Raptor fighter?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    I totally agree. This is a SERIOUS SHOT across the bow. A fuel stingy V8. Everybody would rather have an Eight in their truck, when given the choice and if the mileage is the same.
    I can hardly wait to drive one of these.

The EPA numbers are smoke and mirrors same as Ford's ecoboost. Note the line re: operating with cylinder deactivation - it may as well say "your mileage will vary".

Also, these trucks aren't "ALL NEW!" as you can see the same basic structure in the cab frame and overall dimensions. Rather they appear to be a significant update that is something more than a mid-cycle refresh.

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member smith7629's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE

The whining, the pouting, the nashing of teeth has begun. The new Silverado is tasteful, classic, powerful, strong, rugged, purposeful and....going to sell way better than any tacky one trick pony truck with 80's splash graphics down the side. You're welcome.
    2014 2SS/RS 1LE w/ Performance Exhaust

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

To everyone saying the Ford and GM guys will stick with their favorite brand that is just not true, in the past 10 years I have owned a 2004 Silverado ( which I still have ), 2007 Sierra Denali, 2010 Lariat F150 5.4, 2011 Silverado crew cab with a 6.2 and now a 2013 F150 Lariat Ecoboost.

I will say I'm a GM guy at heart but you just can't deny that Ford makes some nice stuff especially the trucks. Current F150 vs GM the Ford wins hands down. The Ecoboost pulls just as good as the 6.2's I had owned and gets excellent mpg as long as you stay out of boost but the power is always there when you need it.

Will the GM twins be nice? Yes I'm sure they will but my biggest problem with them is cab size, they are using shorter front doors and longer rear doors but the same size cab as the current truck and the current truck sucks getting in and out of the back unless you have toddler size feet. You can't beat the Ford on rear leg room and getting in and out is a snap. I will take a look at them when they come out but if the size of the cabin is close to the same as the current truck then you can defiantly count me out.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Sierra Denali, 2003 Yukon

And they kill the Avalanche which sells in decent numbers and shares >90% of it's engineering with another vehicle.
    REMEMBER GM - GOOD ENOUGH, ISN'T!!!

"We expect taxpayers will get back all the money my administration has invested in GM," Obama said.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Double Cab

Almost no one switches truck brands. Ford will continue to outsell Chevy, while GM combined truck sales will exceed Ford. GM will get a nice bump for a while with the new trucks and then things will settle in to the way they always are I.M.H.O. My 2011 Sierra lease is up in December and I'll be getting a new Silverado because I like the new one better than the GMC. It doesn't matter what Ford or Ram do, I'd never switch and no one I know would either regardless of what truck they drive. I live in Northern Mich. where almost everybody has a truck and that's how it is up here anyway.

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member smith7629's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by 02silverado48 View Post
    To everyone saying the Ford and GM guys will stick with their favorite brand that is just not true, in the past 10 years I have owned a 2004 Silverado ( which I still have ), 2007 Sierra Denali, 2010 Lariat F150 5.4, 2011 Silverado crew cab with a 6.2 and now a 2013 F150 Lariat Ecoboost.

I will say I'm a GM guy at heart but you just can't deny that Ford makes some nice stuff especially the trucks. Current F150 vs GM the Ford wins hands down. The Ecoboost pulls just as good as the 6.2's I had owned and gets excellent mpg as long as you stay out of boost but the power is always there when you need it.

Will the GM twins be nice? Yes I'm sure they will but my biggest problem with them is cab size, they are using shorter front doors and longer rear doors but the same size cab as the current truck and the current truck sucks getting in and out of the back unless you have toddler size feet. You can't beat the Ford on rear leg room and getting in and out is a snap. I will take a look at them when they come out but if the size of the cabin is close to the same as the current truck then you can defiantly count me out.
    Is this defiant enough?

2014 2SS/RS 1LE w/ Performance Exhaust

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Double Cab

Quote Originally Posted by 02silverado48 View Post

I'll do some research right now and see if I can get a number on that cause I believe very few truck owner switch brands. Among my friends and co-workers I've never seen it once.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by optiongm View Post
    The newest pickup usually takes some market share. The question is can GM hold the gains when Ford comes out with their new pickup in 2015?

Apparently , GM has a plan for this..... and maybe ..... even more.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    I totally agree. This is a SERIOUS SHOT across the bow. A fuel stingy V8. Everybody would rather have an Eight in their truck, when given the choice and if the mileage is the same.
    I can hardly wait to drive one of these.
    To a point all things being equal, yes the sound of the V8 is intoxicating and generally sought after by most. Comparing the Ford 5.0 to the 3.5 EB, the EB offers a noticeable increase in low RPM torque. It's enough to be discernible and a nice capability for truck duties. I would expect, don't know for certain that the 5.3 will be very comparable to the 5.0 Ford in the shape of the HP and TQ curve. Actual discernible power delivery will likely be similar in nature. The EB while delivering decent fuel economy will likely have an edge in discernible power delivery just from the simple fact of the natural characteristics of a forced induction application.

Most of the time its not a one class leading characteristic conquers all competition offerings.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar GM-Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix base

Most of the stuff the Motley Fool has, I ignore, but they did have some good points. GM has been releasing top of the world class vehicles for at least the past 6 years, so I don't think these trucks are going to fail.

Will they be better than Fords? Depends what the consumer thinks. It will be better in my eyes. Fords never have done much for me.

The comments on the site were mostly downgrading to GM. That is what GM must fight for, the consumers who are uneducated, uninformed, or biased against the company to be the best again.
    Current:
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix (100k+ mi.)
    Sold to Dad:
    1997 Saab 900 2.0 Turbo(150k+ mi.) for $1000 and agreed to help replace the transmission and clutch, now 200k+ mi.
    Retired:
    1987 Chevrolet Silverado 10 (retired 11/12/2007; 219,986 mi.)
    Dead:
    1983 Datsun 280 ZX by Nissan (146,857 mi.)
    1986 Lincoln Mercury Lynx (64K mi.)
    1979 Chrysler Cordoba w/ Corinthian Leather seats (130K mi.)
    1976 Dodge Charger (130K mi.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith7629 View Post
    Is this defiant enough?

I have owned many GM products and still own my 2004 Silverado and a 1997 30th SS Camaro. Would I ever buy a current GM truck again? Heck no! Lets see how good the new one is first before you throw me out of the brother hood of GM this has nothing to do with loyalty and everything to do with which truck is better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pennyhank View Post
    I'll do some research right now and see if I can get a number on that cause I believe very few truck owner switch brands. Among my friends and co-workers I've never seen it once.
    I guess that old Internet saying,"pics or it didn't happen" might apply to me lol

And to ad fuel to the fire my mom owns a 09 Tahoe and dad owns a 12 Expedition
    Last edited by 02silverado48; 04-09-2013 at 06:46 PM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pennyhank View Post
    Almost no one switches truck brands. Ford will continue to outsell Chevy, while GM combined truck sales will exceed Ford. GM will get a nice bump for a while with the new trucks and then things will settle in to the way they always are I.M.H.O. My 2011 Sierra lease is up in December and I'll be getting a new Silverado because I like the new one better than the GMC. It doesn't matter what Ford or Ram do, I'd never switch and no one I know would either regardless of what truck they drive. I live in Northern Mich. where almost everybody has a truck and that's how it is up here anyway.
    There are a considerable amount of loyal buyers. I consider myself one. Though from time to time, circumstances and timing of life's occurrences might have additional consideration more so than buying from the same truck brand.

I personally have an opportunity to sell my going on 12 year old Silverado 2500HD for a solid value. Got a buyer coming from Canada go figure. Timing is everything. I'm leaving my 2500HD crew cab long bed Silverado for a half ton truck. I've really enjoyed the use long bed thus when I was evaluating half ton crews GM is confined to 5.5' currently. I simply demand more space and thus forced me elsewhere to get a half ton crew with a 6.5' bed.

If GM's half ton crews with 6.5' beds were available they would certain have my consideration. Timing is everything. Without a doubt I'll be back in a GM truck at some point. As I've enjoyed a multitude of vehicles from both Ford and GM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information