No Clue? Tesla Model 3 Production Estimates Hard To Fathom

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Clue? Tesla Model 3 Production Estimates Hard To Fathom

News Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 673 Posts
    My Ride
    Manual trans car on order!

No Clue? Tesla Model 3 Production Estimates Hard To Fathom

Inside EVs
    May 17, 2017

Jonas warns investors that Model 3 deliveries are likely to be lower than Tesla’s forecast in 2017 and 2018. Tesla says that sales of the Model 3 should be in the 5-digit range for 2017 and 6-digit range for 2018, Jonas meanwhile disagrees. According to Jonas, Tesla will deliver no real volume of Model 3s in 2017.

Here’s Jonas’ statement of the Model 3:

“Model 3 expectations appear to have recovered substantially over the last 4 months. Earlier this year investor expectations for Model 3 hit a trough with most investors we spoke with at that time expecting zero deliveries of the model during 2017 A series of subsequent reiterations from management and the spotting of release candidates testing on public roads have increased expectations of timing and volume significantly.

Although we cannot quantify what the market expectation is at this point, we believe our forecast of 2k Model 3 deliveries this year is substantially below current market expectations. Looking to 2018, we believe our 90k volume forecast is also far below Street expectations, possibly one-half or one-third market expectations for Model 3 volume next year.”

Those figures are not even in the same ballpark as Tesla’s projections:

“Simultaneously, preparations at our production facilities are on track to support the ramp of Model 3 production to 5,000 vehicles per week at some point in 2017, and to 10,000 vehicles per week at some point in 2018.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

hydrogen (05-17-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 673 Posts
    My Ride
    Manual trans car on order!

Re: No Clue? Tesla Model 3 Production Estimates Hard To Fathom

Production begins mid 2017. Delivery estimate for new reservations is mid 2018 or later.
    Mr. Jonas as you may know, is the Wall Street "go-to" guy on Tesla. He has been quite a bull on the company...until the past few weeks.

The Model 3 looks like it may be a winner - not sure if the sedan body was a wise choice over the hatchback style of the Model S. As the 2018 Buick Regal may prove, the "hatchback" may be on its way to becoming the new "sedan" here in the United States.

The above wording is from the Tesla website. So 400,000 reserved vehicles will be (let's say) "mostly" delivered by mid-2018 (or later as is stated)?

Talk about an ambitious ramp up! This is going to be interesting to watch, to say the least.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (05-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 2,315 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Wow, so they are planning to build 10,000 a week or 520,000 a year. That's pretty huge, will ongoing demand for an electric vehicle be enough to support that kind of production capacity? Meaning once the upfront pre-order glut is gone will there be such demand 4 or 5 years from now or will the factory be running at half capacity? I assume this is for world-wide demand, but still seems like a lot for a new brand in a new segment.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,023 Times in 1,487 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Tesla needs to poach a lot of UAW production folks, and factory leadership gurus to pull this thing off effectively.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Al465 (05-19-2017)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 775 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

Well.......you don't say????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    .....“Simultaneously, preparations at our production facilities are on track to support the ramp of Model 3 production to 5,000 vehicles per week at some point in 2017, and to 10,000 vehicles per week at some point in 2018.”
    He meant that they have "preparations" in place to accept all of the deposits for such a rate of production. The actual ability to produce the cars? Well, no. But they are thinking about it. So they have that going for them!
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Model 3 may be more stylish than the Bolt, but not nearly as spacious and practical. It is not likely to quite match the FE of the Bolt either. So... it remains to be seen how many are suckers for the Tesla hype. More hip to say "I have a Tesla" than to say "I own a Bolt". When Bolt is available nationwide it will be interesting to see how the head to head competition works out. My projection is that brand name trumps practicality at least 2 -1.

As a business case, Tesla will lose money on every one. It is hard to believe Musk is prepared to take it in the shorts at the rate of 2,000 - 5,000 cars a week since he is already in a serious deficit.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to criticalmass For This Useful Post:

Al465 (05-21-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by criticalmass View Post
    Model 3 may be more stylish than the Bolt, but not nearly as spacious and practical. It is not likely to quite match the FE of the Bolt either. So... it remains to be seen how many are suckers for the Tesla hype. More hip to say "I have a Tesla" than to say "I own a Bolt". When Bolt is available nationwide it will be interesting to see how the head to head competition works out. My projection is that brand name trumps practicality at least 2 -1.

As a business case, Tesla will lose money on every one. It is hard to believe Musk is prepared to take it in the shorts at the rate of 2,000 - 5,000 cars a week since he is already in a serious deficit.
    The biggest issue for Chevy is that the Bolt says "Chevy" to the "Tesla" brand. Tesla is a luxury brand for all intents, so this is the equivalent of putting the Chevy Cruze against the 3 Series. Even if the Cruze was better, 95% of the people will still prefer the BMW.

Buying higher priced cars is less about making sense and more about desirability.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

Al465 (05-19-2017),richmond2000 (05-17-2017),TruckMan (05-17-2017),Z Fury (05-18-2017)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Agreed. Anything Tesla is aspirational. Anything Chevy is dumpster diving for many consumers, especially those with means.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 AVALANCHE

5000 a week production I believe that is BEYOND the total demand for ALL EV cars right now and I doubt that will change anytime soon UNLESS Petrol goes through the roof OR a LOT of countries start offering EV perks AND roll out MASSIVE infrastructure

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

All the pre order people thinking they will get a car in 2017 or 2018 will be disappointed. Unless the reviews are stellar and new over the air updates add new gimmicks, the newness/coolness will fade quickly, alternatives will increase and they will cancel orders in droves in 2018.

As an aside, has anyone seen the model 3 interior? It's a bad joke and will assuredly get lambasted by any objective reviewer. Tesla fan boys will find a way to praise it, but not the average person.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    As an aside, has anyone seen the model 3 interior? It's a bad joke and will assuredly get lambasted by any objective reviewer. Tesla fan boys will find a way to praise it, but not the average person.
    To be fair, the reviews of the Bolt interior have been less than stellar. "Cheaped out" comes to kind.

Thanks
    My Ride

Agreed. Anything Tesla is aspirational. Anything Chevy is dumpster diving for many consumers, especially those with means.
    I think the real problem is they shouldn't be compared in the first place. The only reason the Bolt and Tesla are being compared is because they are electrics. It's akin to comparing the Chevy Cruze to the 3 Series simply because they both use gas engines....

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

rand49er (05-17-2017),TruckMan (05-17-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 eaton53's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 1,019 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

To be fair, the reviews of the Bolt interior have been less than stellar. "Cheaped out" comes to kind.
    IMO, it's definitely in Rubbermaid territory.
    Don't expect Model 3 to be much better. Tesla cannot lose money on them.
    Like the Bolt, all the $$$'s gonna be under the floor.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.
    2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Sport Spyder

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

Al465 (05-21-2017),RedSkyBlackDream (05-18-2017),rustywrench (05-22-2017)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I think the real problem is they shouldn't be compared in the first place. The only reason the Bolt and Tesla are being compared is because they are electrics. It's akin to comparing the Chevy Cruze to the 3 Series simply because they both use gas engines....
    Have to disagree with respect to these 2 cars. Unlike Cruze vs 3 Series, here we have not only similar propulsion systems but also similar FE numbers, similar size, similar tech, similar pricing. Only real difference in this instance is that the Tesla name has cache and Chevy doesn't

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to criticalmass For This Useful Post:

Al465 (05-19-2017),RedSkyBlackDream (05-18-2017)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information