Next-gen Opel/Vauxhall Insignia and Cadillac XTS replacement to be sister cars - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next-gen Opel/Vauxhall Insignia and Cadillac XTS replacement to be sister cars

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1987 Trans Am, 1970 Grand Prix

Re: Next-gen Opel/Vauxhall Insignia and Cadillac XTS replacement to be sister cars

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    Not everyone wants a sports sedan.
    I agree.

However,
    But I want my floaty land yacht.
    The XTS is a land yacht? This is a sad time for big car lovers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Next-gen Opel/Vauxhall Insignia and Cadillac XTS replacement to be sister cars

ULS? I thought that was the designation of a six figure car. Wasn't FTS or LTS supposed to be the Omega Cadillac?

GRRR!!! (I'm so lost)
    RedSkyBlackDream

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar GM-Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix base

I would imagine if the information is correct, then there will be a slew of cars and crossovers from this platform; other than the two mentioned. The Cadillac could be the XTS or also a Q7 fighter. If the XTS continues, I would expect it to be the larger model with the largest trunk. The Regal, Malibu, and Insignia would be midsizers and the LaCrosse would be closer the XTS as today.
    Current:
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix (100k+ mi.)
    Sold to Dad:
    1997 Saab 900 2.0 Turbo(150k+ mi.) for $1000 and agreed to help replace the transmission and clutch, now 200k+ mi.
    Retired:
    1987 Chevrolet Silverado 10 (retired 11/12/2007; 219,986 mi.)
    Dead:
    1983 Datsun 280 ZX by Nissan (146,857 mi.)
    1986 Lincoln Mercury Lynx (64K mi.)
    1979 Chrysler Cordoba w/ Corinthian Leather seats (130K mi.)
    1976 Dodge Charger (130K mi.)

Thanks

It could mean that

1) 2018-2019 Opel Insignia moves to the long wheelbase Premium EpsilonII (P1Lx), and so does the Buick Regal and maybe the Chevrolet Malibu - which probably makes 2018-2019 Buick LaCrosse and Chevrolet Impala move to a rear-drive platform such as long wheelbase Alpha (A1Lx)

2) Cadillac is considering a new design language, which would better blend with other GM brands, to replace the current "Art and science"
    Last edited by DmitryKo; 02-05-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

XTS and Insignia are already sister cars. They ride on the same basic platform. Nothing new under the sun there. The think is, will there be another XTS? Me doubt it, especially since Buick does not have its impala.

Thanks

I fully expect the XTS to stick around after the Omega Cadillac is launched... Not only does it cater to a certain demographic at the retail level, it will allow Cadillac to continue to sell livery vehicles at an affordable price, which GM most certainly does not want to do with the Omega.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe

My take on this is Insignia will be the LaCrosse for Europe. The LaCrosse is basically a sister car to the XTS. Slightly smaller, slightly less advanced and sophisticated. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am. We will see though. These will be interesting times.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 1.21 giggawatts's Avatar
    Thanks

are we sure on XTS and not a crossover vehicle for cadillac?
    strange things are afoot at the circle k.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) megeebee's Avatar
    Thanks

Opel interim CEO Thomas Sedran has revealed the next-gen Insignia and Cadillac XTS replacement will be sister cars.
    Personally, I think this is just shoddy writing. Just WHERE did Mr. Sedran say this? It's pretty big future product news and I HIGHLY doubt they'd allow the head of Opel to casually mention it.

And, as many have said, the XTS is already a sister to the Insignia.

Plus, I think Mr. Ackerson, Mr. Sedrans boss, has said the XTS won't be with us very long, anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patrickbec View Post
    "The Opel Antara will be out in spring 2015 and will use GM's Delta II platform."

Can we expect a new Buick SUV based on the Antara? With the roaring sales of the Enclave, Buick would be nuts to decline a SUV between it and the Encore (although it could suffer the same Goldilocks disease as the Regal)
    The Regal is only 6" away from the Verano and the LaCrosse on either end. So the Verano and LaCrosse are under 13" apart in size.

The Encore and Enclave are over 32" apart. One Delta II-based CUV, somewhere in the 180-190" range won't step on either CUV's toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    Death of Regal? What will be LaCrosse and Impala?
    Hopefully, though I wouldn't bet the farm on it, the next Regal will move to Alpha+, in size between the ATS and CTS3.
    Peace,

Autoplaybook

Wouldn't You Really Rather Have A Buick?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I think the Insignia will move to the same wheelbase as the Impala/LaCrosse/XTS, the current SBW Epsilon Regal/Insignia will be dropped, and the only SBW Epsilon will be the Malibu.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I wonder if EPII will grow in width? Because that is one weak point of this platform although it is not readily apparent in the XTS. I have said it before, and I will say it again GM needs to pare platforms post haste.

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

I bet the future product lineup will look something like this:

Malibu/Regal/Insignia - 107" short Epi II

Lacrosse/Opel 'Lacrosse'/Impala/Lucerne long Epi II

Equinox/Captiva/Buick (now SRX) med SUV Delta II

Cadillac ATS/CTS/SRX off Alpha

Cadillac 'Ciel'/DTS/ULS(?) Maybe large SUV/XUV off Omega

There's not much difference to long and short Epi. The SRX and XTS are really models that should be Buicks and were before they were snaffled to plug the yawning chasm at Cadillac following Sigma's failure as STS and SRX, and the cancellation of the DT7; I think will be replaced by Alpha for the SRX and DTS off Omega by the XTS - Whitacre and others have already said the XTS is a stopgap, one gen vehicle. Lacklustre sales combined with the fact it is never going to twin-turbo, or hybrid versions show that it has achieved all it is ever likely to. It's just not big or wide enough, or long enough wheelbase.

Insignia is already as big as a Euro sedan needs be - they did announce some time ago Lacrosse would be going to Europe as a Opel, presumably a low-volume luxury range-topper - which makes sense.

IMO they should source Regal from Opel as it will likely always sell in low 1000s, and vice versa Opel 'Lacrosse' from the US.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 02-05-2013 at 08:01 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    DC Metro

Quote Originally Posted by _Nick_ View Post
    The XTS is a land yacht? This is a sad time for big car lovers.
    Well... It is a the biggest you can get now, though 24" too short. The Panther cars aren't being made anymore :\ I miss the good ol' days when cars were +220" long and looked and rode like a yacht. Those days are not coming back

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I want to see the concepts for both brands, but especially Cadillac.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information