The mysterious story of the battery startup that promised GM a 200-mile electric car

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The mysterious story of the battery startup that promised GM a 200-mile electric car

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

The mysterious story of the battery startup that promised GM a 200-mile electric car

Quartz
    December 19, 2013
    by Steve LeVine

At the end of November 2012, Atul Kapadia and Sujeet Kumar hosted the staff of their startup company for a holiday lunch of Mexican food at a Palo Alto, California restaurant. For days, the pair—the CEO and CTO, respectively, of a lithium-ion battery company called Envia Systems—had awaited an email from General Motors.

It was to contain a deal rare to an industry newcomer—a contract worth tens and possibly hundreds of millions of dollars to provide the electric central nervous system for two showcase GM models including the next-generation Chevy Volt. Untested small suppliers almost never get in the door of the world’s major automakers, which regard them as too risky to rely on. But GM was won over by what seemed to be the world’s best lithium-ion battery—a cell that, if all went well, would catapult the company to a commanding position in the industry with a middle-class electric car that traveled 200 miles on a single charge and rid motorists of the “range anxiety” that disquieted them about such vehicles.

A year later, the deal is in tatters, GM has accused Envia of misrepresenting its technology, and a document suggests why the carmaker may be right. The startup’s unraveling is a blow for GM as it transitions to a new regime next month under CEO-designate Mary Barra, setting back its ambitions in the potentially gigantic future electric-car industry. It also risks making Envia, the recipient of several small federal grants, another punching bag for critics of US government funding of advanced battery companies.

Full article at link.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ne_one For This Useful Post:

Dovetonsils (12-20-2013)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo

Re: The mysterious story of the battery startup that promised GM a 200-mile electric

This is obviously not good. Hopefully GM has a plan B.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: The mysterious story of the battery startup that promised GM a 200-mile electric

Wonder how much this cost taxpayers.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

The headline pretty much confirmed my suspicions. Solyndra, anyone? Department of Energy? Pie in the sky pipedreams?
    Yes we can.

All links seem to lead back to Quartz.

http://www.nextgov.com/emerging-tech...stments/75720/

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives. --Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

One would not be surprised to see the new Volt perhaps in 2016, but with less of a price difference than Envia promised. The pure 200-mile electric could launch in 2018 or later...

GM was perhaps not snookered, but it was credulous when it should have understood the chart in the Crane appraisal, which one must presume it demanded and was provided.
    And yet Akerson has maintained the 200 mile claim as recently as a month ago.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS

So much for GM's "Moon Shot"

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71

I find it interesting the the Engineers recommended against Envia, but management decided to go with it anyway.

Reading through the article and the science I can find about this, anything that claims a 300% improvement would raise huge red flags in the engineering world. Seems they were right to recommend against it, too bad the management groups didn't listen.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Twinpeaksr For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (12-20-2013)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I am sure GM has alternate plans. This may have been the biggest news one, but it's not GM's only hope.

Thanks

That's the problem with these small start-up companies they promise the world then they can't follow through with their promises. It's critical for GM to practice "caveat emptor" when dealing with such companies.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15Soul+ Yellow; 01 PT LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Twinpeaksr View Post
    I find it interesting the the Engineers recommended against Envia, but management decided to go with it anyway.

Reading through the article and the science I can find about this, anything that claims a 300% improvement would raise huge red flags in the engineering world. Seems they were right to recommend against it, too bad the management groups didn't listen.
    That's why they're in management. F I mean screw up and move up.

15Soul+ 13Charger8A 13Soul 11 200V6 07GPGXP 07Spectra 95LHS 04Imp 03Accord 02Regal 02AccordV6 01Accord 99GolfTDi 98Concorde 97Concorde 97HXCivic5m 96Concorde 95Intrepid 94Protege5m 92SHO5m 93Protege5m 92P50Taurus 91Camry5m

People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives. --Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Blue Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    And yet Akerson has maintained the 200 mile claim as recently as a month ago.
    GM currently uses Lithium based chemistry cells from LG Chem (Volt, ELR), Hitachi (eAssist) and A123 (Spark EV) systems in it's current cars. GM is likely working with a number of other companies as well testing various chemistries in their huge battery testing laboratory as we speak.

As far as batteries go I would bet GM has a plan B, C, D and F in front of them by now.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MechEng For This Useful Post:

LovelyMoon (12-20-2013)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    That's why they're in management. F I mean screw up and move up.
    A story I have seen before, score one for Fail upwards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    As far as batteries go I would bet GM has a plan B, C, D and F in front of them by now.
    By the sounds of it, GM likely had immediate suspicions.

I'm a bit surprised that they terminated the deal, but agreed not to take legal action, demand any money back and they still appear to have a board member at Envia from GM's investment group.

It makes me wonder if the basis for the technology or at least portions of it may actually be viable.

Banned
    Thanks

ALWAYS listen to the engineers. There's a reason they're engineers and you hired them. Management and bean counters may be a necessary evil but in the end, they should be smart enough to listen to what their engineering guys have to say about something so serious.

Let's hope! I'm still not on the battery bandwagon though. Not yet anyway.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 454SSChevy For This Useful Post:

Twinpeaksr (12-20-2013)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 454SSChevy View Post
    ALWAYS listen to the engineers. There's a reason they're engineers and you hired them. Management and bean counters may be a necessary evil but in the end, they should be smart enough to listen to what their engineering guys have to say about something so serious.
    You got it, too many times it is overlooked that engineers are hired for their knowledge and expertise. Listen to what they say, their technical knowledge can prevent a bad mistake. The business side is important if done right, they keep the engineers in check so that the product is actually commercially viable (IE people can afford it, it can be completed in a reasonable time, etc...) The problem arises when the business side knows a few technical terms and believes they know what they mean, and what it takes to make it reality.

Reading about what Envia has, I believe that they have a technology that will provide improvements, just not to the scale they claim or in the time they claim. claiming 300% performance improvement for 50% the cost is an obvious red flag to engineers, that is a vary rare accomplishment and usually comes with several caveats (in this case it would only maintain the power density for the first 3 cycles). To the business side it sounds like a great idea that they can profit from.
    "Just because you are smarter than me does not mean that I am dumber than you!" - Farnsworth

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information