Mayday! Some Cars Will Lose OnStar Link

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayday! Some Cars Will Lose OnStar Link

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ragingfish's Avatar
    Thanks

TECHNOLOGY

By KEN BELSON
    Published: November 19, 2006

FOR the last decade, OnStar has promoted itself as a paragon of convenience and peace of mind for car owners. Best known for its ability to bail out customers in a jam — and even make an automatic call for help when an air bag has been deployed in an accident — the service has about four million subscribers.

OnStar service in the GMC Yukon of Michael and Vickie Farris may be cut off in ’08.

OnStar makes its pitch in a series of alarming radio advertisements that use recordings of actual emergency calls to demonstrate how operators in an OnStar call center are standing by to summon an ambulance, open a car with a child locked inside or track a vehicle that has been stolen. At the push of a button, the operators are available to give directions or to act as concierges, pointing subscribers to the closest gas station or Chinese restaurant.

But the operators will soon be signing off for some of OnStar’s longstanding customers. The dropped connection is a result a little-known decision by the Federal Communications Commission in 2002 that allows cellphone companies to shut down their analog networks beginning in February 2008.

The decision will affect not only mobile phone users in rural America and other places where digital networks have yet to be built, but also hundreds of thousands of subscribers with older cars whose OnStar systems rely on those analog networks. Some subscribers with 2002 model year or newer cars can have their cars converted to digital equipment, or their cars may already be equipped with the needed hardware.

OnStar, which was a $199 option when they bought their vehicles, will become largely obsolete in 15 months in some 2002-4 models, as well as all models before 2002, because the OnStar electronics cannot be upgraded. Some Acura, Audi, Subaru and Volkswagen owners will also be affected.

Verizon Wireless, the network of choice for OnStar, has not said how or when it will dismantle its analog network, though it has not ruled out shutting off the service all at once. More likely, industry analysts say, the networks will be turned off in stages.

Veronika Lukasova for The New York Times

OnStar service in the GMC Yukon of
    Michael and Vickie Farris may be cut
    off in ’08.
    Full Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/19/au.../19ONSTAR.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Mayday! Some Cars Will Lose OnStar Link

That's a shame. My mom's 2003 Olds van has on* and I'm pretty sure that that is one of the models affected. It's no suprise though that the technological dinosaur that is analog phones will die. I just wish that GM might offer an upgrade of the on* service in those older cars.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

At least we can blame it on the government. I wonder how much does it cost to upgrade the OnStar system in the older cars.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ragingfish
    The truck has about 40,000 miles on it and runs well, so Mr. Farris wants to keep it beyond 2008. He must now consider whether to sell it, find one of the few aftermarket alternatives, or go without. “This thing we paid for is going to turn into a pumpkin,” Mr. Farris, chancellor of Patrick Henry College in Purcellville, Va., said.
    Cry me a river. This pompous guy seems to think GM is somehow obligated to continue providing him with an obsolete service for the rest of eternity. If he's so obsessed over the fact that most high-tech devices have a way of eventually becoming obsolete, he should either get a new car every year, or give up altogether and trade his Yukon for a nice bicycle.

That said, it was incredibly stupid of GM to design OnStar in a way that it can't be upgraded.
    Last edited by ChevroletRevived; 11-19-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Walking
    Thanks

go to on-star web site enter vin to see if upgrade is available or contact a dealer to look at bulletin 05-08-46-006i. if upgrade is available GM supplies hardware all you have to do is pay for 1 year in advance,used to be 3 years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butz
    At least we can blame it on the government. I wonder how much does it cost to upgrade the OnStar system in the older cars.
    Last time I heard anything Onstar required a 3-year prepaid subscription to have the entire cost of the conversion paid for.

Thanks

So many people say that it's a useless feature and get all paranoid that someone gives enough of a damn to be tracking their every more. But when they threaten to shut it off those same people think the sky is falling.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 mike's 01ws6's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rearden82
    Cry me a f---ing river. This pompous jackass seems to think GM is somehow obligated to continue providing him with an obsolete service for the rest of eternity. If he's so obsessed over the fact that most high-tech devices have a way of eventually becoming obsolete, he should either get a new car every year, or give up altogether and trade his Yukon for a nice bicycle.

That said, it was incredibly stupid of GM to design OnStar in a way that it can't be upgraded.
    This is something verizon is doing, not GM.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member TaHoE's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt

Quote Originally Posted by Butz
    Actually we can' blame the government:

allows cellphone companies to shut down their analog networks beginning in February 2008.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I'm patiently waiting for Dell to upgrade, free of charge, the P.O.S. computer I bought from them in 2004...

No word yet from Austin, TX.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Chevy Cruze

Actually I do blame GM - When it came with my '02 Tahoe I couldnt believe it used the Analog network - Digital networks were the default by then - IIRC '99 is when Digital networks were pushing Analog to the back seat. This was a cost issue for GM since Analog equipment was prob cheaper.
    ------------
    Goochman

2015 Chevy Cruze 1LT RS
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
    2014 Ford Explorer Limited

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

The thing that really sucks here is that the digital OnStar units better be tri-band (1900Mhz digital, 800Mhz analog and 800Mhz digital) because there are some areas there is not any digital service still. I know my grandparents will be dissapointed that the OnStar in their '01 Suburban will no longer be useable if they start cutting analog.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks

Shutting off analog service in rural areas would seem to be the more serious issue here. At least OnStar users do have other options available.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 BMW 328i Coupe

I guess its time to replace the old Motorola DynaTAC 8000X. It has served me well for the last 20 years. Somebody owes me a RZR.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac of my choosing

Yep I have argued with Onstar many times on this subject. My 04 Saab 9-3 Aero has the analog system and they aren't offering an upgrade or anything. I'm pissed as I use my Onstar quite frequently for hands free calling.
    Hidden Content

2013 Cadillac ATS, Cadillac demo...
    Past: 2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information