Lesson For Others? CR Comments On Honda Civic Improvements

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lesson For Others? CR Comments On Honda Civic Improvements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Lesson For Others? CR Comments On Honda Civic Improvements

Consumer Reports

November 30, 2012

Article Quotes:

It's rather unprecedented for a car company to launch a mid-cycle freshening after merely 18 months on the market. But that's exactly what Honda did after our criticism of the 2012 Civic.

Shortly after Honda launched the 2012 Civic, we tested it. The resulting overall test score, based on more than 50 individual tests, was too low to meet the threshold for being recommended. The 2012 redesign was a measured step back, and, unfortunately came at a time when many competitors stepped up their game. (And we weren't the only media outlet to notice.) We've now driven the freshened model back to back with the 2012 one and can say that it's a marked improvement.

The Civic's freshening and the prominent announcement at a major auto show indicates how critical the Civic is for Honda. More motivating for the company, we think, is the fact that the Civic didn't qualify as being a recommended model by Consumer Reports.

We just experienced the new Civic, borrowed from Honda. At first, it feels very familiar and you might think this is just a cosmetic job, but as the miles rolled on it became clear the ride is no longer choppy. In fact it's quite good for the class. While road noise is not eradicated, it is considerably reduced—you no longer get that loud drumming every time you hit coarse pavement or concrete.

Handling is more responsive, too, with more prompt turn-in and less body lean. Also, the steering now has a modicum of feedback and decent weighting.

The interior is richer with some chrome accents and a soft dash top in front of the passenger. Elbow touch-points have soft padding on the front doors. An automatic climate control is a nice surprise for the EX version and a rear-view camera is standard across the board. Price goes up $160 for all versions.

It's always good to see a high-volume car getting better, and we're glad our constructive criticism helped bringing about such an improvement.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Re: Lesson For Others? CR Comments On Honda Civic Improvements

There is a huge lesson here for anyone willing to listen.

Why not bring CR engineers in as paid (or unpaid) consultants?

Why not let CR take a look at upcoming product and voice an opinion?

Why ignore something that can be vastly important in the marketplace?

I know what will appear in the postings to follow, but CR is just not something to be taken lightly.

Just ask Honda.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Mercedes-Benz C320 4Matic

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    There is a huge lesson here for anyone willing to listen.

Why not bring CR engineers in as paid (or unpaid) consultants?

Why not let CR take a look at upcoming product and voice an opinion?

Why ignore something that can be vastly important in the marketplace?

I know what will appear in the postings to follow, but CR is just not something to be taken lightly.

Just ask Honda.
    Oh gawd, no.
    I don't want to drive a frikkin toaster.
    I got tired of waiting for GM to make a FWD convertible.

2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Sport Spyder

Thanks

Why not simply "...LISTEN to the CUSTOMERS.."? (GM are you listening?)
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970˝ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 273 4M

Thanks

Article seems more like a cry for help as CR tries to establish itself as *the reason* Honda made updates. Like CR still has some magical power and we should line up behind them to thwart the evil automobile empires.

Some road noise and cheap feeling materials - that is what makes a car 'unreliable' - guess CR outed themselves on their 'scientific' methods.
    ------------
    Goochman

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
    2014 Ford Explorer Limited

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

Any manufacturer willing to make quick changes to improve their models should be applauded. Chrysler deserved the credit they got when they 'replaced' the Sebring with the update 200 and improved the Avenger.

The alternative is try to move metal at a discount and we all know how wonderful that works out.

GM has an IMPORTANT new Malibu with some really nice selling points, and some things that have recieved criticism. Your move GM.
    * Pictured above left is a 1959 Dodge Silver Challenger. 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

Thanks

CR patting itself on the back. It was almost worthy of an eye roll. Shows how full of themselves they really are over there.

Agree with others that GM needs to address criticisms of the Malibu, sooner the better.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

More likely it was the general consensus of most reviews that the new Civic was a step backward that prompted the quick change, not just CR.
    However, kudos to Honda for responding quickly to the criticism.
    2012 Chevy Cruze 2LT/RS 6MT
    2008 Saturn Vue Green Line
    1996 Chevy Beretta Z26
    2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Gone but not forgotten...2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    2010 Chevy Cobalt SS/TC Stage One

Thanks
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by goochman View Post
    Article seems more like a cry for help as CR tries to establish itself as *the reason* Honda made updates. Like CR still has some magical power and we should line up behind them to thwart the evil automobile empires.

Some road noise and cheap feeling materials - that is what makes a car 'unreliable' - guess CR outed themselves on their 'scientific' methods.
    Not true at all. CR's test methods are robust, and it does not claim that their review was the reason Honda made updates - only that Honda took action based on their criticism and the criticism from other reviewers. Indeed, the very first sentence clearly states that CR found it unprecedented that any automaker would act so quickly to remedy flaws in a newly redesigned car.

And nowhere did CR even hint that road noise and cheap materials had anything to do with "what makes a car unreliable." The 2012 Civic's reliability was rated 'above average' in CR's most recent survey.

The main lesson is Honda has renewed its focus on what made them one of the most respected automakers extant.
    Last edited by roy219; 11-30-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    Member of the "I will never purchase a new car" club.
    Get the facts about ethanol and biofuels in the USA!

Thanks

OR, bring in car enthusiasts from the major automotive mags, not CR reporters, and get THEIR inputs on upcoming cars....
    Current rides: 2014 GMC Terrain, 2011 Dodge Durango.
    Past rides: 2013 Buick Verano, 2006 GTO, 2005 Vibe (best car I've ever owned), 2006 Odyssey (the worst vehicle I've ever owned), 2005 Envoy, 2002 Wrangler, 2002 S10, 2000 Sierra C1500, 1997 Sierra K1500 (2nd best car I've ever owned), 1996 Stratus, 1996 SW1 Saturn, 1994 Toyota Pickup (4x4 - 2nd worst car I've ever owned), 1992 Dakota, 1988 GMC Suburban, 1987 S10 Blazer, 1985 Scrambler, 1980 Tercel

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

So Consumer Reports alone was able to have Honda do an emergency MCE on the Civic despite all the postive reviews by the rest of the motoring press? Consumer reports has a rating system far more suited to toasters than it is to cars, and did they ever think that Honda actually listened to the customers who actually purchase Civics?

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

The biggest lesson if for Chevrolet to update the Malibu for 2014, stretch it out somewhat, and fix the few other issues that have been raised.

It simply sucks compared to the fusion. It still a very competent car and in 2012 would have been king, but things are vastly different now.
    Last edited by mchicha; 11-30-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

In other news Maytag did an immediate MCE on it's lastest refrigerator lineup due to questionable reviews from CR. The amazing evolution , and design changes are below. We applaud Maytag for listening to CR , and the new design improves on several fronts including the whitest refrigerator white in the industry and low rolling resistance wheels as well as a microplished door hinge.

The pre MCE Maytag refrigerator

The post MCE Maytag refrigerator

Consumer Reports continues to drive manufacturers to do exactly as they wish or face the dreaded black dot that all manufacturers consider to be a death knell for a company.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roy219 View Post
    Not true at all. CR's test methods are robust, and it does not claim that their review was the reason Honda made updates - only that Honda took action based on their criticism and the criticism from other reviewers. Indeed, the very first sentence clearly states that CR found it unprecedented that any automaker would act so quickly to remedy flaws in a newly redesigned car.

And nowhere did CR even hint that road noise and cheap materials had anything to do with "what makes a car unreliable." The 2012 Civic's reliability was rated 'above average' in CR's most recent survey.

The main lesson is Honda has renewed its focus on what made them one of the most respected automakers extant.
    I read the first few paragraph and based on thay consumer reports gave themselves 100% of the credit for the changes. Also cr has flawed test methods...

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by goochman View Post
    All cars today are reliable.
    That's why they've resorted to pickin' on stuff like this and interfaces that they can't figure out but aren't broken.
    It's all they got...
    I got tired of waiting for GM to make a FWD convertible.

2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Sport Spyder

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information