Japanese brands continue to dominate Consumer Reports' rankings - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese brands continue to dominate Consumer Reports' rankings

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Re: Japanese brands continue to dominate Consumer Reports' rankings

After reading the latest CR in search of an appliance I happened upon their automotive rankings, and decided it is time for me to consolidate. All of my American cars will be put up for immediate sale, and will be replaced with a Toyota Camry SE with the amazingly powerful 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar XP300's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goatgary View Post
    OK Here we go. Domestics Bad. Aisians good. Are we done with this thread now...please?
    Or we doomed to have 11 pages of CR bashing...again.
    Calm down, we're only on page 2 at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    In a related story: Grass is green, sky is blue, stay tuned for more details!
    The sky is white here, we're getting snow. BTW ..... Nice truck!

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Oh, c'mon guys ... don't spoil the fun. It's fun to bash CR!
    We're not bashing, just telling the truth, something unknown to CR.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    CR continues to live in the Reagan years.
    You have that wrong, CR lives in the Nader Years and always will.

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    After reading the latest CR in search of an appliance I happened upon their automotive rankings, and decided it is time for me to consolidate. All of my American cars will be put up for immediate sale, and will be replaced with a Toyota Camry SE with the amazingly powerful 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine.
    So ......... you were looking for an appliance and got one, a Toyota Toaster!
    -
    Our National Flower is the Concrete Cloverleaf.

It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble a car ... and only one nut to scatter it all over the road

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Most of us would never base an automobile purchase on Consumers Report recommendations. The buyers that subscribe to the magazine do and they are the ones who submit data. Could that data be slightly biased?
    Yes as it's a captive audience, CR's sampling is not a open scientific model with sampling from consumers at large. Same goes if you ask one ethic group what is your favorite genre of music. Likely one generally preferred from the ethic group at large. Thus what CR has is a self fulfilling prophecy. Nothing will change until the subscriber base changes.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jkujo View Post
    Is anyone surprised? I hope CR enjoys those big checks from Toyota and Honda to keep them on top. This just doesn't make sense, how can Toyota stay on top with all of the recalls they have had the past 3 years? Sure, they shouldn't drop to the bottom because of it but how can they stay on top?

Would you please provide proof of the "...big checks from Toyota and Honda.."? Thank you.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    The beige ones are impregnated with magical ground unicorn particulates. It is what makes it so beigey.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar red_rider's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '02 Mustang GT '97 Mazda B2300

Quote Originally Posted by kafuller View Post
    I wonder how the NASCAR drivers that blew their Toyota motors would rate their Japanese brands.
    Bazinga

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    The beige ones are impregnated with magical ground unicorn particulates. It is what makes it so beigey.
    Prosthetic limb beige is just so appealing to me, and with the SE body package as well as the amazing sound signature of a 4 cylinder I have no chance but to fall head over heels in love with it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

im curious what the subscriber-vehicle ownership breakdown is.

Quote Originally Posted by krusshall View Post
    Reliability: the ability of a system or component to perform its required functions under stated conditions for a specified period of time.

Not being able to properly operate infotainment controls has nothing to do with reliability.
    Not achieving EPA fuel mileage has nothing to do with reliability.
    Not liking shift quality has nothing to do with reliability.
    Having a funny, squeaky noise has nothing to do with reliability.
    and how likely do you think it is that all CR subscribers feel that way?
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Butz's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    DC Metro

Subaru and Mazda don't sell that many cars and if you are buying a Mazda or Subaru chances are you're motivated by something other than reliability and with a smaller sampling size the outcome is more likely than not to be positive.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar GM-Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix base

Such strong bias towards a small amount of manufacturers tells me this is either extreme bias or that their processes are too narrow and irrelevant.

I never see old Subarus in the midwest. Toyota leads the U.S. in recalls, again! And Kia is near the bottom of reliability according to J.D. Power, again. CR is pure nonsense.
    Current:
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix (91k+ mi.)
    Sold to Dad:
    1997 Saab 900 2.0 Turbo(150k+ mi.) for $1000 and agreed to help replace the transmission and clutch, now 190k+ mi.
    Retired:
    1987 Chevrolet Silverado 10 (retired 11/12/2007; 219,986 mi.)
    Dead:
    1983 Datsun 280 ZX by Nissan (146,857 mi.)
    1986 Lincoln Mercury Lynx (64K mi.)
    1979 Chrysler Cordoba w/ Corinthian Leather seats (130K mi.)
    1976 Dodge Charger (130K mi.)

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

In other news today from Consumer Reports.

" White continues to dominate the color charts for side by side refrigerators "

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC stratojet's Avatar
    Thanks

This has been going for as long as I have been in the Industry, 30+ years.
    For a short while, CR praised Ford, just after Chrysler and GM bankruptcy. The really felt that they needed an all american hero. This did not last very long. Now they are on a mission about Ford Touch.
    The 3 US manufacturers will never get a good score from them unless all the employees from the manufacturers and Dealers buy a subscription. The database is corrupted because it is not random. Obvious , only subscribers have a say. It would also be quite interesting to have a bio of their staff. Just knowing that their former boss,David CHampion, went to work for Nissan is a sign of a conflict of interest. They should be dragged in court and force to disclose their database.
    If you don't know what to tell your boss, do an action plan.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    Can GM and Ford do anything about those dishonest reports? I think CR should be hauled in court and tell the legal system how they come to those conclusions. Take the Fords, just because they don't like the Microsoft Sync entertainment system, does that make it a bad car? I think CR should have to answer to the legal system, because they are steering auto buyers away to perfectly great cars and have been doing so for decades. I can not see how they can continually get away with this. I hope they go bankrupt and go out of business.
    Fords are not very well assembled cars and their insistance on using small displacement turbocharged engines in low cost mainstream cars impacts the long term reliability potential.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 SigEpCutlass's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    In a related story: Grass is green, sky is blue, stay tuned for more details!
    Damn you beat me to it. Just another day in the bubble with CR...
    - Mike K.

Current:
    2004 Mazda Mazda6s - Flat Rock, MI
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country Touring-L- Windsor, Ontario

Past GMs:
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Doraville, GA

Future:
    Not buying a Regal GS w/o AWD and a MANUAL trans. Alpha?

DON'T EVER BUY A SUBARU WITH AN EJ25 SERIES INTERFERENCE ENGINE!

"I don't view Toyota as an insurmountable obstacle that GM can't vanquish." - MAXIMUM Bob Lutz

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 SigEpCutlass's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GM-Joe View Post
    Such strong bias towards a small amount of manufacturers tells me this is either extreme bias or that their processes are too narrow and irrelevant.

I never see old Subarus in the midwest. Toyota leads the U.S. in recalls, again! And Kia is near the bottom of reliability according to J.D. Power, again. CR is pure nonsense.
    Nah...CR biased? Ok I won't kick the dead horse in the corner...

Not sure what your definition of old is, but my 2000 is running strong at over 150,000. Our Subaru is "Ziebarted", or it might otherwise not be so nice. I plan on driving it for another 2 years, or into the ground (whichever comes first). Please note I expect the former of these given the new clutch I just put in, Ziebart, & Amsoil. I love GM cars, but on days like today where we got 6"+ of snow, just about nothing is better than my Subaru with snow tires.

We are planning to ditch my wife's Mazda like the plague in the spring or summer because I think the lousy JATCO sourced trans is on it's way out after only 94,000 miles, despite being serviced every 30k. The Ford V6 under the hood is solid, but there were a number of recalls on her car in the first few years she owned it. It's been "perfect" compared to that cantankerous pile of **** VW my wife had before the Mazda.

Would like to factor GM back into our stable again, but it looks like my wife's next vehicle will be a Chrysler product...
    - Mike K.

Current:
    2004 Mazda Mazda6s - Flat Rock, MI
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country Touring-L- Windsor, Ontario

Past GMs:
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Doraville, GA

Future:
    Not buying a Regal GS w/o AWD and a MANUAL trans. Alpha?

DON'T EVER BUY A SUBARU WITH AN EJ25 SERIES INTERFERENCE ENGINE!

"I don't view Toyota as an insurmountable obstacle that GM can't vanquish." - MAXIMUM Bob Lutz

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information