How To Find Out If You Qualify For A GM Topped-Off Bonus Offer

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Find Out If You Qualify For A GM Topped-Off Bonus Offer

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

How To Find Out If You Qualify For A GM Topped-Off Bonus Offer

Forget calling GM, forget looking in your mailbox - Here's an easy way for you GM Card holders to see if you qualify for a "Topped-Off Bonus Earnings" offer.

Visit www.GMCARD.com

Click "Manage Your Earnings" in the top right of your screen.

Register, or log in to your GM Card account.

Once you have done that, click on "Cardmember Offers" at the bottom of your screen.

If an offer is there, be sure and write down the code number. You will need it to redeem your bonus earnings.

Good luck, the following was in my account:

Now's the time to buy with $3,000 in Topped-Off Bonus Earnings.*

Use your Topped-Off Bonus Earnings toward the purchase or lease of most '08 and '09 GM vehicles from January 6 until February 2, 2009. To take advantage of these Topped-Off Earnings be sure to provide your local dealer with your personalized Bonus Earnings code located below.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: How To Find Out If You Qualify For A GM Topped-Off Bonus Offer

My aunt wants to buy a new vehicle, does anyone know if I can just "give" her my card to use on a new vehicle?
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    1989 Cadillac Brougham
    1987 Oldsmobile 442 (7,000 original miles with factory Astroroof)
    1987 Oldsmobile 442 (11,000 original miles with factory t-tops)
    1972 Oldsmobile 442
    1966 Oldsmobile 442 (one owner, needs resto)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhoppes View Post
    My aunt wants to buy a new vehicle, does anyone know if I can just "give" her my card to use on a new vehicle?
    You have to add her to the account. Supposedly pretty simple, just call cardmember services.
    2007 Volvo S60R
    2005 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T
    1999 BMW 328i Convertible
    1998 Ford Explorer Sport

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Volt

Quote Originally Posted by bhoppes View Post
    You may do so under the following conditions:

Her last name must be the same as yours.

The address on her drivers license must match yours.

For details, call 800 950-1000 and ask to be transferred to the "Redemption Center". They can answer any additional questions you may have.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

In the past these "topped off" earnings have only been useful if you plan to buy a large or luxury vehicle with a big redemption allowance. Something that sells in the $30,000-$40,000+ range.

Many people are not aware that, at least with some versions of the GM card, you cannot go out and use all of your points on a Malibu or Cobalt. Or a Cruze Wagon. No matter how "topped off" your card is, the redemption allowance limits remain.

I'll take a look, but I expect most vehicles I would be interested in still suffer from the reason I stopped using my GM Card --- namely that HHRs, Canyons and other non-luxury or big Truck/SUV type vehicles have their redemption allowances top out at around $1500. Something like and Aveo generally only allows $500. Even the Impala that once had a relatively high redemption allowances for a GM car was lowered to get in line with GM's other cars.

But again, I need to check allowances. GM made it difficult to access redemption allowances -- they used to be easy to navigate to, but I guess they decided they needed to hide them behind a few layers of passwords and links just to allow the viewing of these disappointing limitations on the card.

I have quite a lot of points saved up, but no single GM vehicle that I'm interested in (smaller cars, wagons, that sort of thing) could use all of them, so why accumulate more? So my GM card sit largely unused.

I've heard people say in the past that HSBC owns the "points" and not GM so GM's profit margin on the vehicles is irrelevant, so I have to wonder why GM would put low allowances on its cars (the cars it is trying so hard to sell...?) and fat allowances on the SUVs they are trying to move away from.

Unless of course that's all talk.

For now, the flavor of the GM card I have is GREAT if you buy a full-size SUV every 3-4 years. Or if you only use credit cards sparingly. For me, not so much.
    Last edited by Ming; 01-06-2009 at 01:08 PM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar rsbaker's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 377Z View Post
    You have to add her to the account. Supposedly pretty simple, just call cardmember services.
    That's my understanding as well.

Hey 377Z! Thought you might get a kick out of this photo. I'm a fan Too!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

No soup for me. I am sitting on $1600 or so right now.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rsbaker View Post
    That's my understanding as well.

Hey 377Z! Thought you might get a kick out of this photo. I'm a fan Too!

Nice. My favorite show of all time. Jim was the ultimate wisecracking antihero.

I only have the first season, I need to buy the other 5.

Word was, the series was to be continued in 1981, but he was going to drive a GMC Caballero with the 262 V8, but there were too many unresolved issues between the studio and the actors. The switch to the GMC would have been a radical departure and IMO a step down from the Firebirds for sure, but it would have been worth it to see more seasons of the show. Oh well.

Too bad, it was a very well written show, even after allowing for his very unlikely beachfront spot.

Allegedly, the show inspired the GMC Jimmy name. Never looked into it but it strikes me as an urban legend, I just don't see the connection.

They had a few 2 hr made for TV specials filmed in the 90's, but to me the spark was gone.
    2007 Volvo S60R
    2005 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T
    1999 BMW 328i Convertible
    1998 Ford Explorer Sport

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Pontiac GTO

I've got $17000. No up for me

It is easy to allow others. Just call and and add them to your card. You buddy will need your Social for the deal. Afterwords just remove them from your card. I've let my inlaws and a business neighbor use my points. I've got interest in a Vette and a GMC Tahoe

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC graycav56's Avatar
    Thanks

I have the old "original" GM Card. I remember when they offered to "upgrade" me, but when I found out I would be trading my $500 earnings limit for a GM imposed redemption limit, I threw the BS flag.

So while I only max out at a theoretical $3500, I get to use all of it on whatever I want. (In reality, I trade about every 3-4 years so I never get to the full amount.)
    "31 Cars to Date...15 Chevys, 3 Pontiacs, 1 Saturn and a bunch of debris."

Walking
    Thanks

Got a coupon in the mail today for the customer apperication $1,000 off for like Malibu etc.$2,000 for next higher priced and $3,000 for Tahoe

GMI Staff Member Premium Member sigma's Avatar
    Thanks

Ming listed many of the reasons I don't have a GM card.
    "The best committee is the committee of one"
    -Bob Lutz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    In the past these "topped off" earnings have only been useful if you plan to buy a large or luxury vehicle with a big redemption allowance. Something that sells in the $30,000-$40,000+ range.

Many people are not aware that, at least with some versions of the GM card, you cannot go out and use all of your points on a Malibu or Cobalt. Or a Cruze Wagon. No matter how "topped off" your card is, the redemption allowance limits remain.

I'll take a look, but I expect most vehicles I would be interested in still suffer from the reason I stopped using my GM Card --- namely that HHRs, Canyons and other non-luxury or big Truck/SUV type vehicles have their redemption allowances top out at around $1500. Something like and Aveo generally only allows $500. Even the Impala that once had a relatively high redemption allowances for a GM car was lowered to get in line with GM's other cars.

But again, I need to check allowances. GM made it difficult to access redemption allowances -- they used to be easy to navigate to, but I guess they decided they needed to hide them behind a few layers of passwords and links just to allow the viewing of these disappointing limitations on the card.

I have quite a lot of points saved up, but no single GM vehicle that I'm interested in (smaller cars, wagons, that sort of thing) could use all of them, so why accumulate more? So my GM card sit largely unused.

I've heard people say in the past that HSBC owns the "points" and not GM so GM's profit margin on the vehicles is irrelevant, so I have to wonder why GM would put low allowances on its cars (the cars it is trying so hard to sell...?) and fat allowances on the SUVs they are trying to move away from.

Unless of course that's all talk.

For now, the flavor of the GM card I have is GREAT if you buy a full-size SUV every 3-4 years. Or if you only use credit cards sparingly. For me, not so much.
    We purchased an AWD Torrent that was in (cost) the mid 20s and had our card topped off to 2k. They took it all for that sale.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by graycav56 View Post
    I have the old "original" GM Card. I remember when they offered to "upgrade" me, but when I found out I would be trading my $500 earnings limit for a GM imposed redemption limit, I threw the BS flag.

So while I only max out at a theoretical $3500, I get to use all of it on whatever I want. (In reality, I trade about every 3-4 years so I never get to the full amount.)
    I do exactly the same thing. We have 1300 built up right now and when I checked, it was topped off to 2k with the offer. This is the 2nd time they have done it. Keep the old card.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member T-Type's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you Perian for posting this!!!! I went to check my account and it turns out I have a GM extended family card (a little different from the GM card). With that version of the card I can redeem my earnings for cash!!! I should be getting checks in a few weeks for $1150.00

Hopefully this is not one of those too good to be true things.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information