GM Inside News Forum banner

How the Chevy Colorado Diesel was Americanized

4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  V-Car 
#1 ·
How the Colorado Got Americanized; It Was More Than Emissions
Jalopnik
Oct. 12, 2015
By: Andrew P. Collins

“Diesel Chevy truck” sounds as American as John Wayne watching Jackass on a phone while he’s eating a hot dog and picking a fight at a baseball game. But even though the four-cylinder Duramax rumbling in the new Colorado and GMC Canyon has been around since 2011, it wasn’t actually fit for the U.S.A. until now.

As you may or may not feel comfortable accepting, General Motors does indeed sell vehicles beyond our nation’s impermeable borders. Some of those international markets include places that actually buy small, cheap, utilitarian vehicles instead of just commenting about them on the internet.

For example; the Chevy Colorado. Which went on hiatus here but still sold in South America, Asia, and Australia with the 2.8 liter four-cylinder Duramax diesel engine we’re only just now getting to enjoy here in the homeland.

Full article is available at the link.

See less See more
#6 ·
I really wish GM is considering a 3.5 L 5 cylinders version of that engine for the 1500's.

Just think about it inline-5, 215 to 220 hp, about 440 lb-ft of torque below 2000 rpm.

And if I keep dreaming, start with the 2.5 L duramax and make a 3.8 L inline-6. 240 hp, 480 lb-ft, with all the I-6 balance.

That would destroy the RAM eco-diesel !

#13 ·
The centrifgual absorber (which bears an amazing resemblance to a Holden HydraMatic torque dampner) has appeared in Holdens since 2010 - in the first Holden release I went on for GMI amongst other pictures was this:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f67/gmi-special-2010-holden-commodore-sidi-power-glory-83875/

It is the dual stage dampner (older 4-speed unit to left) fitted to the 6L50 trans that arrived in the MY2010 Commodore for both 3.0 LF0 and 3.6 - it's one reason Holden can run cam/spark much more aggressively and get peak torque at much lower rpm - fuel economy benefits, engine is smoother with more advance/leaner fuel mix at low rpm.

#16 · (Edited)
The centrifgual absorber (which bears an amazing resemblance to a Holden HydraMatic torque dampner) has appeared in Holdens since 2010 - in the first Holden release I went on for GMI amongst other pictures was this:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f67/gmi-special-2010-holden-commodore-sidi-power-glory-83875/

It is the dual stage dampner (older 4-speed unit to left) fitted to the 6L50 trans that arrived in the MY2010 Commodore for both 3.0 LF0 and 3.6 - it's one reason Holden can run cam/spark much more aggressively and get peak torque at much lower rpm - fuel economy benefits, engine is smoother with more advance/leaner fuel mix at low rpm.

Uh..... no, not really.

Unless one approaches with the eye that sees a sidewinder 2VPC inline four bears an amazing resemblance to say an opposed valve and port dohc inline six of any sort.

The four Damper types of most relevance here can have classified as either (a) SMF, SMF+ CPA, DMF, or DMF +CPA.

( SMF = Single Mass Flywheel, DMF = Dual Mass Flywheel, CPA = Centrifugal Pendulum Absorber )

They are all considered to be distinct from each other.

CPA subsection basically extends certain useful parameter limits of both SMF and DMFs and also helps eh, heal the extra ( TC / Second Member / Gear Box ) input / output breeches that I3s in general and down speeded / torque enriched / increased load I4s naturally create - although the details of all that can vary quite a bit between the two and also with regard to what Prime Mover used in what Application.

In the Modern Era, LuK for one, got some of this CPA stuff up in 1990, then again on occasion after and finally large series production starting in CYR 2008.

And you gotta' at least mention ZF -Sachs for their 'Twinn Torsional Dampner' whatever, first seen in a production sense in the 6HP IIs in roughly 2006 and of course in similar but retuned / refined form in the 8HP / 8HP IIs.

#15 · (Edited)
Big, big part of why the ah.... final tune had to be the way it is - is contained in here.

Review of 2013 U.S. Retail Biodiesel Blends Quality Survey

Paper #: 2014-01-1379

Published: 2014-04-01

DOI: 10.4271/2014-01-1379

Citation: Lopes, S., Geng, P., and Konzack, A., "Review of 2013 U.S. Retail Biodiesel Blends Quality Survey," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1379, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1379.

Author(s):

Shailesh Martin Lopes

Pat Geng

Anke Konzack

Affiliated: General Motors Co. SGS

Pages : 11

Abstract:

Biodiesel is a domestic, renewable fuel for diesel engines and is made from agricultural co-products such as soybean oil, rapeseed oil, palm oil and other natural oils. < just look at what is not listed > Biodiesel is a cleaner burning fuel that is biodegradable and non-toxic compared to petroleum diesel.

Biodiesel has become a major alternative fuel for automotive applications and is critical for lowering US dependence on foreign oil and attain energy security. Vehicle manufacturers have developed new vehicle and diesel engine technologies compatible with B6-B20 biodiesel blends meeting ASTM D7467 specifications.

Field warranty and validation tests have shown significant concerns with use of poor quality biodiesel fuels including fuel system deposits, engine oil deterioration, and efficiency loss of the after treatment system. Maintaining good quality of biodiesel is critical for success as a commercial fuel.

This paper will summarize test results of recently collected retail biodiesel blend samples from the U.S. to provide a snap shot of the current fuel quality in the market. < As ****ty as you would expect - given it is the USA > Some of the properties reported include biodiesel content, oxidation stability, acid number, cloud point, water, metals, and glycerin content. Significance of each property on vehicle performance is also described.

Event: SAE 2014 World Congress & Exhibition

http://papers.sae.org/2014-01-1379/

#20 ·
i just cant get past the fact this has a timing belt. i do not trust a timing belt. especially since they say it can go to 150k miles, no way.

#21 ·
All belts used to be a yearly maintenance item. Now they last forever - especially the HD serpentine type. Same thing with hoses. Still not as good as a timing chain IMHO, but they do last a while. It'll depend on how hard they are to replace.

#24 ·
How did they Americanize the Colorado diesel?

By removing the 'Made In Thailand' sticker! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.