Heard: GM Cancels Next Generation Hybrid Trucks, SUVs

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Heard: GM Cancels Next Generation Hybrid Trucks, SUVs

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Heard: GM Cancels Next Generation Hybrid Trucks, SUVs

GM shakes up full-size truck program.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    August 31, 2012
    By: Nick Saporito

In recent weeks, news and speculation surrounding GM’s next generation full-size trucks and SUVs has been piqued. The increased speculation has stemmed from multiple rumors and spy shots that suggest the new full-size trucks and SUVs will not be as Earth shattering as originally speculated. GMI has now been told that GM has canceled almost all of the hybrid variants of the new trucks and SUVs.

GMI has confirmed with several sources—both external and internal at GM—that the hybrid program surrounding the full-size trucks and SUVs has been shutdown. It is unusual for GM to cancel programs that are so close to launch, but many insiders GMI has spoken with are not terribly surprised by the move.

The current batch of hybrid trucks and SUVs has historically not sold well. It has also been reported to GMI that the program has seen cost overruns and management does not feel like the hybrid trucks and SUVs are worth continued investment at this time.

Sources have indicated that the Escalade Hybrid may remain in the cards for the next generation. If true, GM likely feels the public relations aspect of having celebrities purchase the “green” Escalade deems the investment a worthwhile one. The 2014 Escalade is slated to be the last new SUV to launch in January 2014, meaning GM has more time to develop a hybrid version of the Escalade.

As it stands today GM offers their Two-Mode hybrid system in the Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Silverado and Tahoe and GMC Sierra and Yukon. The Two-Mode system utilizes two electric motors housed in the transmission case and a nickel-metal hydride battery pack to assist in powering the vehicle under specified conditions. In most applications the system is rated at 20 mpg city and 23 mpg highway.

The original plan called for the next generation trucks and SUVs to utilize an updated version of the current Two-Mode system. Updates to the powertrain were to include mating it to a smaller displacement V-8 engine, upgrading the battery storage to a more modern lithium ion pack and revised electric motors.

Collectively, it was also speculated that the new hybrids would technically have more than two modes, including possible plug-in functionality.

News of GM scrapping the hybrids comes on the heels of further reports from insiders that suggest a recent interior spy shot of the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and reaction to it led to a shakeup of the entire new truck program. Details of what exactly has changed are unclear, but nonetheless, development of GM’s latest trucks and SUVs continue to evolve – despite launching in just nine to 10 months from now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Re: GM Cancels Next Generation Hybrid Trucks, SUVs

Could you tell us more about the smaller displacement V8 you mentioned above?

GMI Staff Writer Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Im glad to hear they are doing some last minute changes to the interior. Question remains as to what they can do with so little time left however.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,161 Times in 762 Posts

Not even a market for an eAssist version?

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    Could you tell us more about the smaller displacement V8 you mentioned above?
    Going to the 5.3L from the 6.0L.
    Hidden Content <--- That link actually works.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

What they should do is put the BAS/alternator on ALL the Silvies. Making the two mode hybrid an expensive option is not the way to boost the CAFE numbers. So few are sold it has virtually no impact - but you still have all that expensive development cost and manufacturing capacity.

The BAS or 'eco' is a high 'bank for the buck' factor that more complex systems can't match.

Launches in 9 months? I thought it was going to be more like five or six months. I'm not an instrument panel/HVAC fetishist like apparently half the internet armchair experts who were aghast at the fact that it had *gasp* a center stack (?) Good job guys. Maybe you delayed the launch an extra four months.
    Check out my automotive blog Hidden Content

Banned
    Thanks

No, what they should do is focus their hybrid efforts on small cars and leave the damn trucks alone.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Z51 Corvette

Since we've waited this long, send the whole truck back to the drawing board. We don't need a class competitive truck, how about a class leading truck. I hope this doesn't turn into another Malibu fiasco, a half baked truck debuting with half the features. GM is in need of some serious management changes.

Thanks

That's horrible news...we love our 08 hybrid Tahoe and were waiting for the next gen hybrid to trade up to.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Saturn Vue XR

Even though sales of the Hybrid models are so miniscule anyway, I worry how this may be portrayed in the mainstream media. This could easily be taken as GM is taking a step backwards in the fuel efficiency of their large SUVs and trucks (not saying that I agree, just that's the way I see this playing out).
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday) & 2009 Pontiac G8/ 2015 Chevrolet SS (seriously)

Current Rides: 2009 Saturn Vue XR & 2015 Chrysler Town & County (wife's car)

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century, 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1998 Buick Regal LS, 2003 Buick Regal GS, 2004 Honda Civic EX, 1998 Honda Civic DX, 2001 Ford ZX2 & 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4

Thanks

So much for the conspiracy theorists who claimed GM got breaks in the new CAFE because they were the only ones with hybrid trucks.
    Past
    1984 Ford Crown Victoria
    1994 Buick Park Avenue
    1995 Ford Probe GT
    2001 VW Jetta TDI
    2002 VW Jetta TDI
    2005 VW Passat TDI
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer
    2006 VW Jetta TDI

Present
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo T05 Manual
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country

Future
    2015 Volt 2.0

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '02 Sierra HT, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    Im glad to hear they are doing some last minute changes to the interior. Question remains as to what they can do with so little time left however.
    I have this mental image of GM being so big of a company that it takes a long time to change anything. If the previous interior spy photos were truly 95% production intent, GM will have their work cut out for themselves if they plan to make a major change & keep the original launch schedule.
    Hidden Content

"Don't think of it as a slap. Think of it as a high 5.....for your stupid face." How I Met Your Mother--January 13, 2014

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

News of GM scrapping the hybrids comes on the heels of further reports from insiders that suggest a recent interior spy shot of the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and reaction to it led to a shakeup of the entire new truck program. Details of what exactly has changed are unclear, but nonetheless, development of GM’s latest trucks and SUVs continue to evolve – despite launching in just nine to 10 months from now.
    That is the most interesting piece of news in the entire article. If true, it leads me to believe that the "wrap around" in the interior shot going around earlier was production, not just a cover. I'm not sure what kind of changes they are going to make in nine to ten months though.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

This could be a big mistake!! With Ford's EcoBoost 3.5L V6 not doing much better then the opt 5.0L V8 in fuel economy the GM Hybrid system could and should be used much more! Offer it as a low cost opt on more then just the 6.0L V8 as packaged today. Its a great system that could BEAT the Ford EcoBoost hands down if given a proper chance with more availability on more engines then it is today!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingElvis View Post
    What they should do is put the BAS/alternator on ALL the Silvies. Making the two mode hybrid an expensive option is not the way to boost the CAFE numbers. So few are sold it has virtually no impact - but you still have all that expensive development cost and manufacturing capacity.
    The BAS or 'eco' is a high 'bank for the buck' factor that more complex systems can't match.
    Launches in 9 months? I thought it was going to be more like five or six months. I'm not an instrument panel/HVAC fetishist like apparently half the internet armchair experts who were aghast at the fact that it had *gasp* a center stack (?) Good job guys. Maybe you delayed the launch an extra four months.
    eAssist in the Malibu gives 5-7 mpg higher results, which exceeds what the 2 Mode was delivering, yet at a relatively low cost. Far better banG for the buck.
    While I'm sure all us arm-chair engineering experts can do it better than GM, let's wait a few months to see what we actually get, rather than condemning what we haven't seen and don't know about?

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

*Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter the last two characters of the word "GMInsideNews"

*Required, this field is not shown to others. While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information