GM's Reuss was considered for CEO job in 2010, Whitacre says

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM's Reuss was considered for CEO job in 2010, Whitacre says

GMI Canada Editor Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Automotive News
    January 23, 2013

General Motors Co.'s North American president, Mark Reuss, was considered for the top job at the automaker in 2010 before his lack of seasoning led the board to the current CEO, Dan Akerson, according to an excerpt from a forthcoming book by former CEO Ed Whitacre.

As GM, which restructured in bankruptcy with the help of a $49.5 billion U.S. taxpayer bailout, moved toward its fall 2010 initial public offering, Whitacre told the board he would not continue as CEO. His idea for his replacement was Reuss, according to the excerpt published today by Fortune magazine.

"Mark had zoomed up the executive chain in record time; he went from midlevel engineer to the No. 2 person in the company in the space of a year, more or less," Whitacre said of Reuss. "The plus was that Mark was showing a lot of poise and management potential. The downside was that he hadn't been in the job long enough to prove himself as a CEO."

Reuss, 49, is perceived by some Wall Street analysts and GM insiders as a potential heir apparent to Akerson. Other possible successors are Vice Chairman Steve Girsky, Chief Financial Officer Dan Ammann and global product development chief Mary Barra.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

Re: GM's Reuss was considered for CEO job in 2010, Whitacre says

I knew his father who was a very very good man. I hope Mark runs the company one day. When I think of Chevrolet I think of Mark. His idea to have Disney style training for all things Chevrolet was right where my heart is. His speech at the Corvette reveal (which is a Huge success by the way, I Love it! A Perfect 10..) was very touching. Talking about going to the Chevrolet engineering dept. and so forth as a kid. I keep him in my prayers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfDurant View Post
    I knew his father who was a very very good man. I hope Mark runs the company one day. When I think of Chevrolet I think of Mark. His idea to have Disney style training for all things Chevrolet was right where my heart is. His speech at the Corvette reveal (which is a Huge success by the way, I Love it! A Perfect 10..) was very touching. Talking about going to the Chevrolet engineering dept. and so forth as a kid. I keep him in my prayers.
    Mark's speech at the Corvette reveal was clearly personalized and passionate. He's highly-regarded among the media pundits and certainly a car guy's car guy.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MyImpalaSS's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Impala SS(Black on Black)

His time is coming.....
    Current Cars:
    2010 Black Impala SS(my baby)
    2009 Gold Yukon Denali(wife drives it)
    2010 Black Hummer H3 Alpha(for my off-roading pleasure
    )

Future Cars:
    The Caddy Flagship
    C7 Corvette
    ATS 2.0T AWD Black exterior/Red interior(For my twins)

GM 4 LIFE!!!
    Nobody else does it better

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 1.21 giggawatts's Avatar
    Thanks

All good things in time....
    strange things are afoot at the circle k.

Editor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,622 Times in 372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Mark's speech at the Corvette reveal was clearly personalized and passionate. He's highly-regarded among the media pundits and certainly a car guy's car guy.
    I've seen Mark speak many times, but nothing compares to the C7 reveal. I've never seen so much enthusiasm from an executive. It was great.

I've written blog posts about this and spent hours ranting about it to colleagues...passion is key to success in business. I really don't care if you hire the best employees in every respective function, if they only care about self-serving themselves up the corporate ladder, they won't be worth a damn.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

CJH
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Audi A6 4.2, Durango LTD 5.7L

Quote Originally Posted by MyImpalaSS View Post
    His time is coming.....
    I sure hope so, he seems to be the guy GM needs!!
    Past Rides:
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L

Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Fix the Malibu, give me my lovely off road GMC Wrangler and get us a real truly luxurious Cadillac and then Mark, you will have my support for CEO. Nice guy though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    I've seen Mark speak many times, but nothing compares to the C7 reveal. I've never seen so much enthusiasm from an executive. It was great.
    From the video, it appeared that he was genuinely choked up. Is this the impression that you had in person as well?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Sounds like Whitacre is advocating for Reuss next time around.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

I hope he gets the top spot soon, seems like a good choice and a good guy.

Editor
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

From the video, it appeared that he was genuinely choked up. Is this the impression that you had in person as well?
    Yes. I could tell from his body language that his excitement was genuine.
    "What's noteworthy about this rumor is that it came from GMInsideNews.com. That in itself gives it a bit more credibility." - Edmund's Insideline, June 21, 2008

E-Mail Me

Editor
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    I hope he gets the top spot soon, seems like a good choice and a good guy.
    I, of all people, have been skeptical of many things at GM, but NAIAS solidified to me that Mark deserves a greater scope of control at GM.

We visited with him for about a half hour at the show. He didn't bring it up, but eventually admitted that he often works in dealerships to "stay grounded" in the business. He referenced a recent stint working in the service department in which he realized that dealers were spending a lot of time auditing a specific problem on 6T70 (I think that was it) transmissions that wasted their time, GM's warranty dollars, and more importantly, customer's time. That said, he implemented some kind of fix.

That kind of hands on management is critical to a company in GM's position, I believe. The company has historically been ran by folks with the ivory tower syndrome that never leave the glass tubes in Detroit. Reuss clearly lacks that mentality. The key for him, I think, is to surround himself with viable (non-GM lifer) lieutenants.

E-Mail Me

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

There is none better in my opinion to lead GM. The passion he exhibited in the C7 reveal can not be trained or shown to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by FanOfDurant View Post
    Thank you for weighing in, and I definitely say that your post is one that makes me more passionate about my belief in GM.

I've written blog posts about this and spent hours ranting about it to colleagues...passion is key to success in business. I really don't care if you hire the best employees in every respective function, if they only care about self-serving themselves up the corporate ladder, they won't be worth a damn.
    As a sales manager/ director I would often experience success with those that lacked in sales experience due to their natural passion which no one can teach. I would often say that I would rather a passionate salesperson with no sales training than a seasoned veteran who has been in the business over 10 years.

I, of all people, have been skeptical of many things at GM, but NAIAS solidified to me that Mark deserves a greater scope of control at GM.

We visited with him for about a half hour at the show. He didn't bring it up, but eventually admitted that he often works in dealerships to "stay grounded" in the business. He referenced a recent stint working in the service department in which he realized that dealers were spending a lot of time auditing a specific problem on 6T70 (I think that was it) transmissions that wasted their time, GM's warranty dollars, and more importantly, customer's time. That said, he implemented some kind of fix.

That kind of hands on management is critical to a company in GM's position, I believe. The company has historically been ran by folks with the ivory tower syndrome that never leave the glass tubes in Detroit. Reuss clearly lacks that mentality. The key for him, I think, is to surround himself with viable (non-GM lifer) lieutenants.
    So we are in agreement that Mark Reuss should be the rightful heir apparent to the GM management throne?

Editor
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    So we are in agreement that Mark Reuss should be the rightful heir apparent to the GM management throne?
    On the condition that he surrounds himself with (mostly) new blood, yes.

It is human nature to become immune or accustom to certain norms. He's lived in GM's vitriol culture all his life and he is human - I'm assuming he needs new blood for a fresh perspective on CERTAIN ways of doing business. Plus, from an investor perspective...combining his leadership/passion for GM and new talent directly reporting to him is very appealing.
    Last edited by nsap; 01-23-2013 at 09:07 PM.

E-Mail Me

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information